• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

pedersoli

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weasel

40 Cal.
Reaction score
:hmm: I picked up a pedersoli Mortimer 12 ga today for a little of nuthin this'n bein my first bp shot gun anybody out there have any experience with this model or a starting load my goal is a tom turkey next spring so i got plenty of time to work on patterning it any repies will be appreciated
weasel

I don't have any experience w/ that particular shotgun, but a good (and old) method for loading a ML shotgun is to measure out the powder & shot w/ the same measure. In other words, for a light load set your adjustable powder measure for 70 gr. Measure out 70 gr. of powder (I'd use FFg or even Fg in a 12 ga.)and pour it down the barrel. Then, measure out your shot w/ the same measure. 70gr. volume will give you about 1 oz. of shot. For a heavier load, do the same, but set the measure at 90 gr. This will give you 90 gr. of powder (obviously) and about 1 1/4 oz. of shot. As far as the components of the load, when I load my 20 ga., I dump the powder downbore, then follow that w/ an over powder card ( I cut my own outta cardboard),followed by a fiber cushion wad, followed by shot, and last, another cardboard card over the shot. Lube up the fiber wad before you load it. I'm sure there are other good methods, but this is what I use, and it works great for me. I can't recommend a max. load, since I don't know the gun, but I can't imagine needing to go much over the 90gr./1-1/4oz. load. Even this would probably be pretty stout! :shocking:Of course it depends on the weight of the gun. Hope this info helps. :thumbsup:

Weasel
The "old" way of loading smoothbores is equal powder / equal shot. This is true in many cases. It also provides a good starting point. But each firearm is different.

Traditionally one would load powder,over powder card, cushion wad,shot, over shot card. When you measure your powder forget the grains measurement. You know must consider volumetric measurements. Most powder dippers are measured in drams. Select the desired powder dram requirement based on your shooting needs, i.e. for target shooting 2

Weasel,
For the most part the Mortimer will have a cylinder choke. This will of course limit your range. To assist in tightening my patterns I make a paper shot packet. I take a dowel rod make it smaller than the bore diameter. I wrap a 3x5 note card (others have used post-it notes) 1/16 in. short of 2 complete wraps. This should be slightly smaller in diameter than your bore. If not use a smaller dowel rod and build it up will tape until it fits inside the bore. I use dura-glue (contact cement) to seal the edge. Slide the tube about

Back