• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pedersoli

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtman725

The Last Best place, MT
Reaction score
So on the hunt to up grade my 54 CVA Mountain Rifle, what is everyone through on the Pedersoli ? Or a shop selling good Hawken kits?

I have a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken in .54. It is a heavy gun with the 34" barrel and almost too pretty to hunt with, but it is a shooter and since I mostly hunt from a stand, I don't mind the weight.

Pedersoli makes very good guns. Current availability might be an issue. I'm the type who doesn't own a gun I can't shoot. I'm not into collecting art. With that in mind, if it's for serious use, I'd go with a kit that has a good barrel. Get it shooting accurately, use as intended, dings and scrapes are honest patina.

My CVA .54 with RB barrel is far more reliable and accurate than the 2 similarly configured Pedersolis I had. I would hardly call that switch an upgrade. There are custom semi drop in stocks for the CVA. Could also change to a tuned L&R lock if that’s where the upgrade is necessary. Otherwise, I think you need to go there Custom route. We need more info about what you have and your motivation to more to something else’s.

Looking for relatable tried of fix things on the CVA. It will be a hunting gun. I am not a collector an end user,and a kit how in summer is just not doable garden, dogs fly fishing,yard work,scouting. Wrong time of year for a kit.

Looking for relatable tried of fix things on the CVA. It will be a hunting gun. I am not a collector an end user,and a kit how in summer is just not doable garden, dogs fly fishing,yard work,scouting. Wrong time of year for a kit.
Have you considered a T/C?

Lots of people will bash the pedersolis, and lots will look down on the CVA’s. Owning both, Id say prefer the pedersoli by quite a margin. Thats not to say the CVA is bad, just my own observation. Your milage may vary.

Pedersoli guns are about the best one can get in an over-the-counter gun. I've owned two, a dbl 12 ga shotgun and a .50 Super Cub. The shotgun was amazing, worked reliably and was a great game shooter. The Cub looked good and shot splendidly. The only disappointment was the flint lock that came on the rifle. It was a flip of a coin whether or not it would ignite the barrel charge. I then installed a percussion lock and could choose rock vs cap. I did manage to kill a few deer with the flint as well as the percussion.

So on the hunt to up grade my 54 CVA Mountain Rifle, what is everyone through on the Pedersoli ? Or a shop selling good Hawken kits?
As the others have stated, it will be hard to upgrade the 54 CVA Mountain Rifle in terms of performance. Stock upgrades to get a better looking stock. The lock could be changed with an L&R replacement lock, but the CVA percussion lock generally is an acceptable lock. The barrels are considered to be quite good in terms of accuracy whether the barrel is one of the USA barrels or a Spanish barrel.

Mtman725, do you care to relist your reasons for the upgrade?

I have both Pedersoli flint , and T/C percussion. If it’s percussion .54 you are looking for you can’t do much better than a T/C Renegade or Hawken. Mine shoot both round balls and maxi balls great. Good bulletproof locks, and even though they are no longer made, parts are readily available.

Attachments

• 5B16B6CE-9656-4221-A70E-701B69B2920B.jpeg
    5B16B6CE-9656-4221-A70E-701B69B2920B.jpeg
    251.6 KB · Views: 0
As the others have stated, it will be hard to upgrade the 54 CVA Mountain Rifle in terms of performance. Stock upgrades to get a better looking stock. The lock could be changed with an L&R replacement lock, but the CVA percussion lock generally is an acceptable lock. The barrels are considered to be quite good in terms of accuracy whether the barrel is one of the USA barrels or a Spanish barrel.

Mtman725, do you care to relist your reasons for the upgrade?
Just the two broken Thumbler inside of 6 mons. Gives one reason to pause. All 3 shoot just fine no complaints, I am one of those guys that, are so picky on taking care of them, and to have another one go down for the same reason !!!!! I know their old last one made in 85, but seeing poor quality workmen ship, on the Spain's made pair, the older one made in USA is a much better made rifle.

@Mtman725,

The older one will have a made in USA barrel. The lock was still made in Spain.

The upgrade would be the L&R replacement lock. The replacement lock won't necessarily increase the resale value of your rifle, but it will be an upgrade.
Its stamp as Made in the USA and a new lock would be a lot cheaper then a new gun!

Ya I have a nice set of metric taps, and thread Gage, just for that and the clean out screws. If I keep them some metric thread chasers, will be needed as well. But the fit and finish of the USA made one is much better.

Back