Pedersoli vs. Loyalist Arms Indian

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Surfinator58

40 Cal
Reaction score
I'm happy with both of mine My Brothers pedersoli looks like a piece of pine covered in plastic I prefer a more natural finish with some wood grain but that's just me this is my 1733 French flintlock pistol along with thefusil de chasse

Attachments

• 0621221843.jpg
    0621221843.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 0
Reaction score
I found one guy that assembled a Bess from Rifle Shoppe parts and it looked so gorgeous, George III himself would be proud to be his patron. Sadly that level of skill is beyond my budget.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
If the Indian stocks were made of something other than Teak....I'd consider it.
Yes the stock contributes a lot to the added weight but it's not teak, it's rosewood. Doesn't change the situation, I admit. It's the only wood that serves in India for gunstocks.

Importing wood from Europe (if it was affordable) is a no no due to the possible transmission of insects and wood diseases. Still you're looking at 2x the price for the Italian musket, and the Pedersoli quality has slipped a great deal due to COVID.

As far as "Indian crap" goes, I have four India origin muskets and smoothbores from Loyalist Arms. They all shoot well both blanks and live loads. There IS a difference of what you get depending on the importer from which you buy.

LD

Reaction score
Yes the stock contributes a lot to the added weight but it's not teak, it's rosewood. Doesn't change the situation, I admit. It's the only wood that serves in India for gunstocks.

Importing wood from Europe (if it was affordable) is a no no due to the possible transmission of insects and wood diseases. Still you're looking at 2x the price for the Italian musket, and the Pedersoli quality has slipped a great deal due to COVID.

As far as "Indian crap" goes, I have four India origin muskets and smoothbores from Loyalist Arms. They all shoot well both blanks and live loads. There IS a difference of what you get depending on the importer from which you buy.

LD
I've looked at several Indian samples, trying to find nice things to say....While I'm sure they're safe and functional, the stocks just didn't appeal to me. I'm on the verge of affording a new Bess (or Charleville), I'm hoping I can find one here. Something about a used and well loved weapon that a brand new one just can't offer.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I've looked at several Indian samples, trying to find nice things to say....While I'm sure they're safe and functional, the stocks just didn't appeal to me. I'm on the verge of affording a new Bess (or Charleville), I'm hoping I can find one here. Something about a used and well loved weapon that a brand new one just can't offer.
You do make a valid point
LD

Reaction score
I have a Baker from Loyalist, The bore was erratic to say the least, .595 t0 .602 This was no problem to me as I had intended to send it to Bobby Hoyt and re-barrel to .54 caliber.
It's a bit heaver but it works most of the time. I did have to put a touch hole liner in as the existing hole allowed to much pressure to escape, solved the problem. Also have bayonet for same

sturmkatze

32 Cal.
Reaction score
The thing is, trying to do it cheap is hard. Sometimes you can find a used one at other time period reenactments fora markets. Just don't get on a hurry.

longtoothpard

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I held out for a used Navy Arms Charleville and found one at the Tulsa Gun Show last year for $700. Those were made by Miruko back in the 70s and 80s. I have owned an older Pedersoli Bess. That was a great musket too. The older guns like those are better in my opinion. And they are a fraction of the cost of new.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
The older guns like those are better in my opinion. And they are a fraction of the cost of new.
Well not always.
Just now I saw a Japanese Bess, used, with a starting price of $1395.00.... :rolleyes:
Some sellers simply don't know the "market" and will get downright ornery about pricing.
LD

longtoothpard

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Well not always.
Just now I saw a Japanese Bess, used, with a starting price of $1395.00.... :rolleyes:
Some sellers simply don't know the "market" and will get downright ornery about pricing.
LD
True. They base it on what new Peds are going for. Still, good ones can be found, just have to be patient, or lucky. Maybe both.