• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Volunteer rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RJ, I noticed your comment. I have the P-H Volunteer, tried several times to sell it, no luck. Aside from that, if I do keep it, how, in your opinion, would a .450 patched ball work in it? The conicals beat me up as I am a bench shooter, and only out to 100yds. I can get Jeff Tanner to make a mold for me. Randy

You can shoot all the RB you want in your volunteer rifle, but it will be very disappointing, to say the least.

With a twist of 1:20 - 1:22 it was designed from the off to shoot an elongated and therefore heavy bullet of around 450gr or so, and does that very well. The rifling is very fine, and will not do well with a patch of any kind; as you know, most ball shooters have a twist of at least 1:48 or so.

Many posters here have asked the same question over the years that I've been here, and always received the same response, either from me, or somebody else.

I'm sorry to learn about your beat-up shoulder, but that's just how it is, shooting a big heavy bullet at 65 - 90gr of the black stuff is never going to be a pussycat.

tac

Tac, many thanks! It was worth the asking. Tried to sell it too many times, ready for cleaning, oiling and in the closet she goes. Too bad for me, it's the prettiest rifle I have ever owned. :bow: Randy aka Blackfingers

A pity you aren't in Canada or I would take it off your hands .
Have you tried a smaller powder charge and a lighter bullet ?

:haha: .tac , I just spotted your post over the page .
Great minds think alike and all that eh . :rotf:

Dodger, yes I have, 200gr and 250gr Lee .45cal REAL bullets, a few RB's. Over powder wads didn't make up for the smaller, shorter bullets. Not the rifle for me. :( Randy

It will give you that level of recoil fired off the bench Blackfingers. They were designed to be fired standing or prone at 45 degrees with the full charge.

In my .577" I reduced the charge to 35 grains Swiss3F for 50 metres and 45 for 100 metres. Far less recoil and better accuracy. A lighter bullet would also assist.

Hope that gets you enjoying the rifle.

Over-powder wads in this kind of a gun are not like shotgun wads. The best are made from the cardboard that comes inside the collar of a new shirt - a shiny side and a dull side.

For reasons that are inexplicable to me, the shiny side down gives marginally better grouping at 100m.

A real mystery of the Universe, I guess.

You COULD try a .44cal conical, as used by some in a C&B revolver, but you'd need to size it down to .451 if was cast bigger that than, although there are some that can be cast as .451. They are a lot lighter than the proper thing, but are the right shape, unlike the R.E.A.L bullet.

tac

Thanks guys! I put her in the closet for the time being. However, there is a seller, Blue Falcon on GB Auction, selling Whitworth, Volunteer and Gibbs minie ball bullets in .415grs. These are hollow base types, no card or wad needed, just load over the powder, sounds like my Zouave! We'll see when I pull her out of the closet next time. If I can pass it on before then, all the better, I'm getting into flinters pretty heavy right now. :grin: Randy aka Blackfingers

Check out the rates of twist used in revolvers and rifles chambered for .45 Colt. 20" twist is pretty much middle of the road.

I think you may find that smaller charges of powder behind soft cast revolver bullets from commonly available off the shelf molds can give enjoyable shooting. Especially if you paper patch and then size them down to .001 under bore diameter.

What would be the max range on this gun?

The usual maximum range at which they are shot here in UK and in the world of BP rifle shooting is around 800 yards or so. The likes of the Whitworth and other small-bore BP muzzleloaders equipped with tang sights is 1200 yards. Note that is this context, the term 'small-bore' is .451", small onl;y by comparison with the .577" calibre rifles from which they are descended.

Blue Falcon sells hollow base Minie style bullets for the .451's, I've tried them, they shoot well with 50 gr of 2f, for 100 yard target shooting. Recoil isn't bad at all.

Maybe not exactly as precise as the solid base bullets but I didn't see a difference.

I wish Pedersoli would make the 3-band Volunteer.

What would be the max range on this gun?
There is a difference between absolute range you can loft a lead ball or slug, and effective range for hitting a target or effective killing range for taking particular game. When folks say specially designed black powder long range target rifles are shot in competition out to 1000 yards or more, that's at targets sometimes 6 foot x 6 foot in size, by highly skilled shooters using very advanced techniques.

Most of us trying to take a deer with open sights on a black powder rifle would be loath to take a shot over 100 yards, and would prefer much closer. On my last range outing, I hit an 8"x8" gong at 100 yard with my Kentucky rifle on the first shot and was happy to have done so. No way am I shooting at much beyond that distance, especially not game.

Latest posts

Back