• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pedersoli using Cekote

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hawken rifles came in many calibers. Not all rifles were destined for the plains and needed to be of large caliber. Some were made for local hunters and target shooters in 45 caliber and some less. The smaller caliber rifles may have had brass hardware and a single wedge. In rifles of the 18th century, bluing was the most likely form of rust inhibiting finish for the rifle barrel. Over time, the blued metal would become brown.

For a cheap off the shelfer, I’d take cerakote designers to mimic browning or rust bluing over bright modern bluing any day of the week.

On my expensive customs (the only guns I care about or own really) it would in no way be acceptable.

Hawken rifles came in many calibers. Not all rifles were destined for the plains and needed to be of large caliber. Some were made for local hunters and target shooters in 45 caliber and some less. The smaller caliber rifles may have had brass hardware and a single wedge. In rifles of the 18th century, bluing was the most likely form of rust inhibiting finish for the rifle barrel. Over time, the blued metal would become brown.
THANK YOU.
What you say makes good sense. What is the source of you rather logical information?
Below the St. Louis Arch there us small museum dedicated to the great move West that began in this city.
There is a Hawken rifle on display there in a glass case. It apparently was made as a presentation gift to someone of note or perceived meet and has many small extra touches which I can no longer remember but I think the barrel was simply what I would call cold steel. If it was blued in the modern manner I think I would remember.
Whatever. It's not important. just interesting,
Thank you for your knowledge.
Dutch Schoultz

My sources are members of the J. P. Gemmer Muzzle Loading Gun Club who have handled and own such rifles. I have seen a J.P. Gemmer stamped rifle of plains architecture in 45 caliber that according to family lore was purchased right after the ACW. There are books by Baird and Hanson that describe the various rifles and shotguns made in the Hawken gun shop

THANK YOU.
What you say makes good sense. What is the source of you rather logical information?
Below the St. Louis Arch there us small museum dedicated to the great move West that began in this city.
There is a Hawken rifle on display there in a glass case. It apparently was made as a presentation gift to someone of note or perceived meet and has many small extra touches which I can no longer remember but I think the barrel was simply what I would call cold steel. If it was blued in the modern manner I think I would remember.
Whatever. It's not important. just interesting,
Thank you for your knowledge.
Dutch Schoultz

I am from the area and it’s a shame what St. Louis has become. Used to be a major hub of Midwest industry and was a major jumping point for westward expansion.

Now it looks like Godzilla went through it and there are so many bums it looks like Walking Dead.

At least there’s still Imo’s Pizza and the Cards... 🍕 ⚾

I own a pedersoli Pennsylvania.45 Flintlock with less than 100 rounds that has this coating on the barrel. It’s starting to peel off around the flash hole. Sent pictures to Pedersoli they said first time seeing this and they will only pay for the barrel to be blued. Had to ship it to the dealer I purchased it from on my dime. They will pay for the return shipping to me.

Latest posts

Back