• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Trade Gun build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used B-W Plum Brown for years with fine results. But for whatever reason, I could not get a good browned finish on the Pedersoli barrel. Figured 'Oh well (not those exact words!), I'll strip it and do it old school (controlled rust)'. Started stripping the barrel with Tetra Gun, hot water and bronze wool. Lo and behold, instead of the usual bare-ish steel, a beautiful dark (durable) pewter finish. A serendipitously pleasant surprise, indeed! I like it far more than a browned finish. I'll give it a coat of Renaissance Wax tomorrow. I have very mineral-y water and wonder if that may have contributed to it. Concerning bronze wool, it's softer than steel wool and far less likely to scratch steel or wood finishes. Plus it won't leave rust prone bits in stock wood pores. Hope this helps.
Usually i dont care for shiny
But your shiny is VERY nice!

The Pedersoli kit comes with a ā€œprotectiveā€œ bluing on the barrel (removed that and went with a ā€œpewter/antiqueā€ finish which I like very much) the factory trigger guard was in the white (replaced it with a forged one from ToW and browned it). The lock has a case hardened finish, which I debated stripping off but have grown to really like. I only use bronze wool, no steel wool. The oil stock finish is applied by and with hand.
Usually i dont care for shiny
But your shiny is VERY nice!
Not a problem there, did very well at this weekend's gun show selling some high dollar unmentionables I didn't use. So definitely have some "walkin' around money".
Very nice looking ,howā€™s it shoot.

Back