• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pedersoli sxs ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Txflycaster

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I have a late 70s navy arms sxs built by Pedersoli. When firing the left barrel I am getting a ton of blowback from the nipple. Actually getting pieces of the cap imbedded in my wrist. What is the fix? Running way under recommended load. Tried switching nipples no luck.

Replace them both with new nipples is the cure. The 50 year old nipples are worn out. A new set of nipples with a small dia flame hole by end by the threads stop the blow back you are getting.
Man that makes me feel old.....lol

I have a 20 gauge Pedersoli that's about a year old. I have the same problem and also wear long sleeves. On days when I've shot it a lot, the inside of my left wrist gets really irritated and sometimes breaks out in a rash. BTW, I have new Hot-Shot nipples on the gun to help with ignition.

I finally got some leather gloves and cut the fingertips out so I could load the shotgun but still protect my hands and wrist.

These are the gloves that I got. I only cut off the last 3/4 inch of the finger tips. In order to keep the (cut) threads from unraveling, I stitched the seams together where they were cut.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Water-Resistant-Leather-Glove-X-Large/1003047206

This is the glove after only using it once. My left wrist felt much better after that shooting session.

IMG_2677.jpg

There could be several problems , before you change the nipples see that the hammer nose is hitting the nipple dead centre , also check if the hammer nose is deep enough to cover the nipple , another main issue is is there any movement on the hammer when down on the nipple , another fault is the cap it should be a good fit and not to slack .If all of these things are OK then renew the nipples . Although some will disagree I always load with the hammer down .
Feltwad

I've tried flash cups before on other guns. Maybe I was doing something wrong but kept getting flash debris back in my eyes and face.

I was also having the same problem before installing the Hot-Shot nipples.
Yeah swung on a bird that went up wind and caught some debris in my eyes. Was not enjoyable but we did manage a few birds.

Attachments

• 20210213_105535.jpg
    20210213_105535.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 79
I thought men shot muzzleloaders? shucks even the fairer sex shoot them and don't complain about cap dabree hurting there arm. what happened back in tee day when the bad guys were wanting your top not? JMHO.

I don't like catching fragments in the eye. Getting stung on the arm on occasion is not a problem. On the other hand, after a lengthy shooting session, when the arm is red and raw from the flash debris; that is a problem.

So for the tough guys that don't have a problem with their arms breaking out in a rash that stays their for the next couple of weeks, then more power to you.

Latest posts

Back