• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pedersoli SxS Help Please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently purchased this Pedersoli 12 SXS, and noticed this gap at the muzzle. What do you recommend?

Solder? I have a torch and do some soldering, but mostly electrical stuff. I am concerned about destroying the joint if I try to heat the muzzle enough to melt the solder. Drip some in the hole and hope it sticks?

Leave it? Moisture is my concern...

JB weld/ epoxy? Fill it, file it and forget about it?

What do you recommend?

Thanks!!

Attachments

• Pedersoli.jpeg
    Pedersoli.jpeg
    467.5 KB · Views: 1
I do as the old guns were done, place a piece of lead over the spot and tap with a light hammer. It will go into the gap and when it’s flat shave it off with a knife. I’ve done this on a number of double barrels and the fix is permanent.
I can supply pictures if needed.
Thanks Phil!

The ones that I have plugged, I just took a piece of soft lead, tapped it into the shape of a tapered small triangle/trapezoid peg, snipped the small end to where it would slightly enter each cavity, leaving about 3/16" to 1/4" inch sticking out and tapped it in, not flush, but leaving enough to where you can face with a knife and blend the muzzle smooth. On one I bought second hand, whoever cut the barrels back to 22" inches, had cut the muzzle crooked so I plugged the voids before squaring the muzzle with a flat file.

Hi Phil: Just to be clear - would I be okay just starting with a 36 cal round ball, or should i hammer it into a flatter sheet before I start? Thank you!
I flatten a piece of soft lead till its about .050” thick and larger then the joint of the two barrels. Then lay it to cover the ends of the barrels and tap it on. You will see the out line of the barrels when you have formed it in far enough. Then with a knife shave off the excess leaving the gap filled and the steel of the barrels clean.

I flatten a piece of soft lead till its about .050” thick and larger then the joint of the two barrels. Then lay it to cover the ends of the barrels and tap it on. You will see the out line of the barrels when you have formed it in far enough. Then with a knife shave off the excess leaving the gap filled and the steel of the barrels clean.
Should I remove the material that is already there - or leave it and just fill in around it?

The ones that I have plugged, I just took a piece of soft lead, tapped it into the shape of a tapered small triangle/trapezoid peg, snipped the small end to where it would slightly enter each cavity, leaving about 3/16" to 1/4" inch sticking out and tapped it in, not flush, but leaving enough to where you can face with a knife and blend the muzzle smooth. On one I bought second hand, whoever cut the barrels back to 22" inches, had cut the muzzle crooked so I plugged the voids before squaring the muzzle with a flat file.
Got it - thank you!

No. I use bismuth shot so I don't have any lead shot. I do have some lead split shot but I don't have any idea how pure it is.
I believe a lot of modern split shot is now ‘safe’ and not made with lead. You might want to look at clipping a piece of lead off a a 22RF bullet, or maybe waste a modern shot shell and cut it open for a piece of lead shot. But until you find something to plug that hole I wouldn’t worry about it.

I flatten a piece of soft lead till its about .050” thick and larger then the joint of the two barrels. Then lay it to cover the ends of the barrels and tap it on. You will see the out line of the barrels when you have formed it in far enough. Then with a knife shave off the excess leaving the gap filled and the steel

Now that the hunting season is over, I finally got around to some much-needed repairs and maintenance. Here is a pic of the SXS with a little soft lead tapped into the recess. I am very pleased with the way it turned out. Thanks to all who responded with advice on how to fix it!

Attachments

• Pedersoli.jpeg
    Pedersoli.jpeg
    467.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Shotgun Lead Repair.jpg
    Shotgun Lead Repair.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Back