• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pedersoli Shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have to remember that multiple projectiles will scatter like shot, so accuracy is going to be somewhat limited...

I would say you should be able to hit a deer out to 40-60 yards, if all other factors are within limits...

On the issue of buck and ball, Civil War B&B loads places the larger ball on the top and the three small diameter balls on bottom...

buck&ball.jpg

Not all buck and ball loads separated when fired, many Civil War loads fused together and stayed intact for the duration of the flight, defeating the purpose of the multiple projectile...

What range is the ball acccurate to?
That's a good question.

3 .36 under a 28 gauge ball. in a 10 gauge,,, what's up with that?? splatter paper at 10 yrds??

Tell the truth Crow-Feather,,,Can the "ball" hit the x at 12yrds?? I can darn near throw my hawk and hit the "card" that far out! (it'll spin twice). What say?

[/quote] 3 .36 under a 28 gauge ball. in a 10 gauge,,, what's up with that??[/quote]

You could use a .75 caliber ball (.715 or .735) on top of the three .36 caliber balls and still have room to spare...

Crow-Feather: If you private message me your address, I will be more than happy to send you a few .75 caliber balls to experiment with...

Would aerodymanics work to keep the projectiles in formation? Anybody done any experiments? Is there enough heat and pressure generated to "weld" the shot to the ball?

Is there enough heat and pressure generated to "weld" the shot to the ball?

Yes, the battlefields of the civil war are just littered with fused buck and ball, usually they would sepperate once the projectile combo hits a bone, and then the remaining energy would allow the balls to go their sepperate ways...

3buckball.JPG

Buck%20and%20Ball%20from%20book.JPG

buckandball.JPG

Would aerodymanics work to keep the projectiles in formation? Anybody done any experiments? Is there enough heat and pressure generated to "weld" the shot to the ball?

My vote is "No". I've occasionally shot 9 .36 caliber balls at once out of my .66 cal (16 bore). They are a 3 ft group at 25 yards, just like #6 shot. Very impressive when shooting at tin cans on a dusty bank for the benefit of an audience. I've never noticed any fused together at all. The hopes of the buck-and-ball shooter was to disable as many guys standing 100 ft away shoulder-to-shoulder as possible - hopefully before they let fly at him. They were also used by sentries for firing at shadows after dark. (And I understand many Ranger units preferred them for fighting in the woods.) If you hit someone with an ounce and a half of lead it wouldn't NEED to break up inside afterwards. Better to clip them with a .36 cal ball than a clean miss. Still as good as the venerable .36 Colt Navy. Think of it as the forerunner of the sub-machine gun.

noldguy
Ifn yer sayin that I aint hit nothin at 50 yards with that load, yer right. The two deer I got wid that load looked up the bore of my shootin gun, saw what was gonna come at em, and dropped over dead wit fright. It twere dern hard skinnin em too, thay twere scaird stiff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Musketman,

I do thank you for your kind offer. I use a 54 partly because I shoot a 54 rifle and also because it doesn't have the recoil of the 75 round ball. I have some sixty two's I'll try some day but I am hesitant to go as far as the 75.

C F

Back