• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrownBear

In Rmembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned a couple in the past. Don't remember the models, but one was a 12 and the other was a 20. Fit, finish and function on both were great.

From the pure shotgun side of things, both reminded me of the handling of European cartridge doubles in terms of mount, balance and swing. If you ever handled one of the older Ithaca doubles with shorter barrels that will give you an impression of the swing- kind of butt-heavy and barrel-light, making them really quick, but hard to sustain a swing for pass-style shooting. With the "English" style grip and splinter forend, you can't choke them in tight to your body as is traditional with pistol grips and beavertail forends. Instead you want to cradle the forend in a more or less open forehand while pressing the butt stock up into your cheek with a little back pressure. I found them ideal for upland shooting and ducks over decoys or jump shooting, but definitely challenging on the pass.

Has anyone had experience with the Pedersoli SxS shotguns?

I am looking at possibly buying a used one.

Kevin - I have a 20 & 10 ga. from Cabelas the barrels are chome lined. They are easy to clean.The 20 is a rabbit hunters dream. The price has gone up 300 bucks in two or three years??Why?? Rocky
wink.gif

Well, there is a used one at a local shop that I have the opportunity to purchase.

That I recall, it is in generally good condition and it looks very much like the Pedersoli SxS shotguns that I see them make. There are no markings as to who the manufacturer might be.

Looking around, the only one I can find that is a production gun (and this is obviously that from fit and finish) is the Pedersoli.

The price is very resonable and I thought to pick it up if the feedback was good. After that, I am going jackrabbit hunting.

Kevin -You didn't say what ga. My 20 ga. is marked Pedersoli on the left side. The 10 ga that I bought a year earlier is not marked where you can see it.Are the barrels lined? In any case I don't see how you can go wrong if it is in good condition. Rocky
wink.gif

Rocky,

I am not sure, I only saw it once and didn't look close then. I think it was 12 guage.

I will look closer.

The price is so reasonable, I may buy it no matter what.

Well, it is a Pedersoli 12 guage.

Generally in really good condition and it was good buy.

I assume one side is a modified choke and the other full.

"Where is dat waskel wabbit?"

Kevin, I have a Pedersoli 12 that I've been shooting for several yrs. and have no complaints.
It's an excellent shotgun. I think you'll find it has cylinder bores on both barrels and when you load it you'll be glad it does. At least mine does.
Deadeye

Cylinder would be same bore at the breach as at the muzzle.Take a dime and check the muzzle see if they are differant. Rocky
wink.gif

They are different. The left hand barrel in narrower at the muzzle.

What charges do you folks use in your guns? I see on the bottom of the barrel that the max load is 89 grains of BP (I assume 2F) and 1 1/4 oz of shot.

What size ball would one shoot to shoot PRB?

Kevin: I don't know if your shotgun is the same as the one Dixie lists but the 2003 catalog shows a Pedersoli 12 gauge side x side "Magnum". 28 1/2 long barrels, Right hand Cylinder bore, Left hand Modified bore. "Two brass beads" for sights. The price shown is $525 so if that's your gun, and you paid less for it than that you can be Happy
grin.gif

I'm not sure where you would get a ball for it but they say the bore is .726 diameter so that would be about a .700 ball with .015 patches.
If you do find a ball, do not shoot it out of the "modified choke" barrel (assuming you can load it in that barrel). Something solid like a ball needs to be shot in a cylinder bore ONLY.
smile.gif

Well, I will stay happy since I paid less than one fourth of that.

I may never try the PRB, but it seemed a fun idea to shoot a "smoothbore".

Mine is in its tenth season. It is a Cabela's 12 gauge with screw in chokes. I don't know how many times I've shot it but it still looks like new. Had to have the locks rebuilt three seasons ago. With care they will last forever.

Pedersoli advises against using ball in their shotguns - they suggest that you use buck and ball. I tried it and it works well.

C F

In my 10 guage, I drop three 36 cal balls and then a 54 cal ball. I believe the 54 sits in the middle of the three smaller balls and exits the barrel that way. I believe that the 12 takes three 32 cal balls and a 50. An overshot card is placed on top.

C F

Back