• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pedersoli Scout Set Trigger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADK Bigfoot

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I have recently acquired a Pedersoli Scout in .50 (my second). Nice little light carbine hunting rifle. Had one for ten or twelve years, no issues. This one has a set trigger that is just plain awful. Long, gritty, and not much lighter than the front trigger. Functions, but not anything more than functional. Any one have any ideas? Or its here a single trigger that can be installed? A good single trigger would be worlds ahead of this "set trigger."

Thanks,

ADK Bigfoot

Sounds to me like the trigger just needs to be adjusted. Set the trigger then turn the little screw between the triggers clockwise until the trigger trips. Turn the screw counter-clockwise 1/2 turn an see if that don't help. It should get rid of the "long grittys".

I hope adjusting will help with it. I had 5 of Pedersoli's pistols, and finally gave up on the last one and just gave it away !! It was a Bounty Hunter with about 15 lbs of trigger pull. I notified Pedersoli and they told me to send it to a gunsmith that does their work for them. He worked over the lock and it was not a bit better trigger pull when he got done. I know a gun builder that I have a lot of respect for and he said the trigger would not work as the hole for the trigger pin was drilled in the wrong spot. He managed to put a different trigger and got the pull down some, but it had too much takeup for me to like. I think I'm through buying anything Pedersoli made.

The screw turned all the way in does not trip the trigger. All the way in functions, but with a "step" in the trigger pull. Than then it is still a couple of pounds pull (I will measure it later.) Seems like there is a lot of slop in the set trigger itself. I guess I will have to take it out and examine it. I have never taken a set trigger out.

By the way, Stony, I have a Bounter Hunter with a great trigger. Sorry yours has failed you.

ADK Bigfoot

ADK, I suggest you replace the adjustment screw with one that is long enough to trip the trigger. It will probably be a metric size. Stoning the mating surfaces would help smooth things out.

Thanks for your input. I have got it working okay; it will never be a match gun! But for a tree stand gun it will be okay.

ADK Bigfoot

Last edited:
Pedersoli intentionally installs a set trigger screw that is too short in the location that adjusts how much the front trigger engages with the cocked rear trigger. This is the screw that is located between the two triggers.
I think they do this to prevent the user (you) from being able to adjust the triggers into a dangerous condition.

The only way to get the screw to do its job is to install a longer screw. One that actually reaches the "catch" area of the front trigger.

This screw does not adjust the power needed to get the front trigger to release the rear trigger and make the gun fire. It only controls the distance the front trigger needs to be pulled to release the rear trigger.

Some of the other factory guns on the market do come with a screw that works like it should and I know of two cases where the gun owner misadjusted that screw.
The owners came to me saying, "My set trigger is broken. It doesn't work."
Looking at the gun and trying to set the rear trigger I found that they were right. The rear trigger wouldn't stay "set".

In no time, using a small screw driver to unscrew the adjustment screw I had it fixed and working like it should.

The right way to adjust the screw (assuming one with the right threads and length can be found) is to unscrew the little screw so that it is almost out of the trigger plate. Then, set the rear trigger.
Screw the screw back in slowly until the rear trigger releases. (Keep your fingers out of the way. That rear trigger snaps forward with a LOT of power.)
When the trigger releases, unscrew the little screw 1/2 to 1 full turn. Then, check the trigger by recocking the rear trigger. It should latch into place if it is pulled far enough back.
Speaking of that rear trigger, for reasons unknown to me, the spring for the set (rear) trigger on Lyman guns is way stronger than it needs to be so expect to use a LOT of force to get it far enough back to let the front trigger "catch" it and hold it in place.

Zone:

Can that rear trigger spring be lightened without compromising the safety of the trigger/lock? I am finding that spring to be horrendously stiff.

Thanks,

ADK Bigfoot

Sounds to me like the trigger just needs to be adjusted. Set the trigger then turn the little screw between the triggers clockwise until the trigger trips. Turn the screw counter-clockwise 1/2 turn an see if that don't help. It should get rid of the "long grittys".
I'm a brand new user of your forum. I don't know how to start a thread. So asking here. From Sumter county, Ga. Have pics of family heirloom that was used at Andersonville Prison. The lock has barely visible marking. The marking is TEXAS. Can y'all tell me about that and if I knew how will post pics. Thanks, oh, there's link. Look close forward of hammer screw for TEXAS
15266.jpeg

Can we see a picture of the full length of the rifle from the side? That will help us identify the rifle.
Give us some details such as the barrel length, bore diameter, rifled barrel or smooth, any other markings?

Rifle 57", barrel 42"

Attachments

• 15241.jpeg
    15241.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 15244.jpeg
    15244.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 136
Know it wasn't military issue. The South didn't have enough to spare to guard prisoners

ADK Bigfoot,
Have you taken the trigger set out to examine what is actually going on inside. A lot of firearm manufactures err on the heavy side on triggers for liability reasons and the competent owner is left to make them better.

I'm a brand new user of your forum. I don't know how to start a thread. So asking here.
For anyone who doesn't already know this:

To make a thread, go to the area of the forum that best suits it. In your case, that would be the Firearms Identification area.

In the upper right hand area of the screen find the button that says, "Post Thread". Click on it. That will open a window to type in.

Give the thread a title. Then, write what you want to say. When your done, hit the "Post thread" button at the bottom.

Now, lets get back to talking about the Pedersoli Scout set trigger.

Back