• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pedersoli Scout questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loja man

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Good morning all,
So I’m interested in this rifle. I am mostly looking for another good hunting rifle. I like that this has a full stock with a shorter barrel. Would like it in 50 cal.
To those who owne or know more than me (not hard). Enlighten me to thier period correctness. Are kits still available for these? I know DGW has it listed but out of stock or currently unavailable. So are they just out?
Thanks

IMO, there is very little that is actually "period correct" about the Pedersoli Scout rifle except that it does use a sidelock.
The comb on the stock is somewhat like the Reading school's, "Roman nose" shape but it is taken to extremes. The adjustable rear sight is also a much later style used long after the muzzleloading era.

As for it being a good hunting rifle, I'm sure it is more than capable of taking deer sized game if you buy one in .50 caliber but, it's 1:32 rate of twist might be marginal when it comes to shooting patched roundballs. I don't know, but usually barrels with a twist rate faster than 1:48 have shallow rifling grooves that are made for shooting bullets and those other things we don't talk about on the forum with plastic parts.

Hey Zonie,
Thanks for your reply. For some reason I was thinking that the twist rate was 1:48. I plan on shooting patched round balls.
I really like the all wood stock on a rifle. Just not sure I want to jump up to a Pennsylvania or Kentucky.
Not looking for anything custom but would lean towards generally Period correct. Or at least based off of a period rifle that was common.
Thanks

I have the flintlock model, though I haven't had the chance to use it yet. It is a nice light and handy rifle. It's lack of "period correctness" doesn't bother me.
Mine is in .45, and has the 1:48 twist. Pedersoli's website lists only the .50 as having a 1:34 twist. I'm not sure why they would do that.

Yeah I’m really not sure why the change in the twist rate from the 45 to the 50. I would like to try to build a kit gun just to save a few dollars. Also because it sounds fun. Also I have young boys who are going to be coming of hunting age here in a few years and I think it would be a lot of fun to build some kits with them! My big problems is I’ve handled so few of these guns I really don’t want to order one without handling it. Thier are so few places that have any kind of inventory of muzzleloaders!:-(

I looked into the frontier rifle. Ironically it’s longer than the Kentucky rifle!

I considered a Scout, but the thought of launching heavy conicals (as would be optimal in a 1:32 twist barrel) in a 6lb rifle with a brass butt plate just sounds painful as heck. It was bad enough in my Vortek NW 50 despite a rubber recoil pad that I had to switch to projectiles you all don’t like to talk about. A maxi with 90gr of powder behind it is pretty close to a 458 WinMag in a light gun.

I was doing some more research, and came across some older threads on this forum where they discuss the Scout. A couple of posters there said that they measured the twist on their own .50 Scouts, and the twist rate was actually 1:48, not 1:34 like the Pedersoli website states.

Pedersoli Scout Thread

I was doing some more research, and came across some older threads on this forum where they discuss the Scout. A couple of posters there said that they measured the twist on their own .50 Scouts, and the twist rate was actually 1:48, not 1:34 like the Pedersoli website states.

Pedersoli Scout Thread
I am inclined to believe this it wouldn't make sense cost wise to rifle it 1:32 when all the other 50s are 1:48. I will find out when I finish the kit I bought.

Check out the Traditions Tennessee. Full stock short barrel. You will find most in 1-66, excellent accuracy for PRB and they come in 1-32 (I bought one off GB and guy didnt tell me the twist, its 1-32 which I was not pleased about but it is a shooter with conical).

i talked to Pedersoli about the twist on the scout and they told me that it is 1-32 for bullets and not made for round balls

The 45 is a good choice for deer hunting. You can get conical bullets for it too.
I have a Traditions Tennessee rifle, 50 cal. 1/66 twist barrel. Very accurate rifle.

I looked into the frontier rifle. Ironically it’s longer than the Kentucky rifle!
Other than the Scout the Kentucky is a shorty by all traditional muzzleloading standards. I built the Kentucky flintlock Rifle .45 caliber (and pistol .54 caliber) last year, compared to my "more" correct long rifles the Kentucky is light at 7.71 pounds. A .50 or a .54 will make it even lighter due to the larger bores in the same sized barrel.

Other than the Scout the Kentucky is a shorty by all traditional muzzleloading standards. I built the Kentucky flintlock Rifle .45 caliber (and pistol .54 caliber) last year, compared to my "more" correct long rifles the Kentucky is light at 7.71 pounds. A .50 or a .54 will make it even lighter due to the larger bores in the same sized barrel.
Oh and I just checked DGW, the kits are in stock.

Somebody must have forgotten to tell my wife that the Scout doesn't shoot round balls very well. She consistantly places/wins club shoots and Rondys.

Attachments

• 20190519_180000.jpg
    20190519_180000.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 104
So I have continued reading about different rifles and looking at ones suggested. It’s not been mentioned yet but I have read a lot of info on the Traditions Kentucky Kit.
I know it’s not the quality that a lot of the other kits are but it’s also roughly half the price. Also my first muzzleloader experience was my dads CVA Kentucky Rifle Kit. I actually slot my first white tail with it!!
So as I am wanting a second rifle for my kids to be able to use in upcoming years this seams like a fun option. I am handy with tools. A builder by trade as well as a hobby woodworker and blacksmith. So I figure I can dress up the plane Kentucky rifle to make it look a little nicer. Also as the boys grew up its an economic option of something fun to do with them for their first muzzleloader.
So that is where I’m leaning. I believe I can make the rifle look a lot nicer by adding personal touches. I also understand it does shoot quite accurately which is important.

Back