• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pedersoli Scout Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what you are paying for a Pedersoli you should Not have to do anything but powder, patch,ball and fire. You wouldn't accept that from another product so Why are you willing to make excuses for poor quality.
There are problems with every production gun. I have 2 pedersoli's a mortimer that is absolutely a work of art and a jaeger hunter that leaves you wanting. That being said I bought a new 4.25" colt snake unmentionable a few months ago for 1500 dollars that has to go back to colt because the chatter in the barrel left by bad tooling makes it keyhole at 25 yards.

There are problems with every production gun. I have 2 pedersoli's a mortimer that is absolutely a work of art and a jaeger hunter that leaves you wanting. That being said I bought a new 4.25" colt snake unmentionable a few months ago for 1500 dollars that has to go back to colt because the chatter in the barrel left by bad tooling makes it keyhole at 25 yards.
Sorry I must have hit a nerve here. If you think charging alot for shoddy performance is normal that's fine whenever it's a gun I expect nothing less than good performance right out of the box like My Charliville from Access Heritage. A thousand rounds and never one misfire

Sorry I must have hit a nerve here. If you think charging alot for shoddy performance is normal that's fine whenever it's a gun I expect nothing less than good performance right out of the box like My Charliville from Access Heritage. A thousand rounds and never one misfire
No nerve hit at all. I was merely stating that all production guns will have a few lemons. Unfortunately that seems to be becoming more common. I agree with you if I spend 1.5k+ on a firearm I expect it to work ( that's why my colt python is going back) I wouldn't take an inferior product from any manufacturer.

I bought a pedersoli pennsylvania for my first flintlock (same lock) and out of the box It had a few issues with short flint life and alot of pan flashes. I remedied most of it by reshaping the frizzen foot and polishing it to a mirror finish. I have also found that the small lock prefers ox yoke english flints over the tom fuller flints sold by TOTW, I find the ox yoke flints to be more consistentl flat on top with less of a hump. If needed I also shim the back of the flint up with a toothpick to get more of a scraping strike on the frizzen.

any more I average 40-60 shots to a flint on the little pedersoli lock before they are worn down to a nub, once in the nub stage i can use them in my flint basher of a harpers ferry pistol for 8 or 10 shots before they are completely used up.

Chris

I bought a pedersoli pennsylvania for my first flintlock (same lock) and out of the box It had a few issues with short flint life and alot of pan flashes. I remedied most of it by reshaping the frizzen foot and polishing it to a mirror finish. I have also found that the small lock prefers ox yoke english flints over the tom fuller flints sold by TOTW, I find the ox yoke flints to be more consistentl flat on top with less of a hump. If needed I also shim the back of the flint up with a toothpick to get more of a scraping strike on the frizzen.

any more I average 40-60 shots to a flint on the little pedersoli lock before they are worn down to a nub, once in the nub stage i can use them in my flint basher of a harpers ferry pistol for 8 or 10 shots before they are completely used up.

Chris
I we find this an interesting discussion, So I would like to add to it. I have a Lyman flintlock from about 2005, (deer hunter, .50), and I don't know who made those, but it cost about $225. It was subject to a few hang fires and I had to do some tinkering to get it to work right, which I must admit I enjoyed doing, but the thing that opened my eyes was a friend I shoot with has a flintlock and it doesn't have a frizzen spring. Anyway, I took mine off and discovered that it would also work sufficiently without a spring but of course you couldn't do this in any kind of wind, so I discovered that a rubber band holding it down was plenty sufficient to get sparks. That made me thin my spring down to where it's about like a big rubber band. Then I raised the touch hole by shimming the back of the barrel just enough to put the touch hole above a straight line. Darn Old cheap gun shoots pretty good with hardly a misfire, even tried it out with Shockley's gold synthetic powder and it would shoot that too but it would Noticeably hang fire.
Squint

Back