• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Scout Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That hasn’t been my experience on the quality of Pedersoli locks.
Happy for your luck. I have several of theirs and all are doing well now I have dependable Locks on them. I personally don't think I will ever buy one again. If I am going to pay over a thousand for a rifle I expect something that works no matter what. Enjoy your Pedersoli

Morning n it rained hard here, this place i rent always floods. So i put my pump to work while i used a file on the Frizzen spring. Then polished it up n polished the bottom round part of Frizzen that in contact with the Frizzen spring. No rain today, so i may get to go out later n shoot my Scout. See how it does, if it works all is good. If it does not well back to file n sand paper on spring

Don’t get your panties in a bunch, I am just stating the obvious.
No you are being Rude at the expence of someone who you personally don't know. Just because I have found Pedersoli to be high priced junk that had to be fixed inorder to work properly and I found their customer service to be horrible does not warrant your sick humor

I am going to bandwagon the positive on Pederoli as well. I have a Scout in .50 and yes, the lock is small. Buy good flints sized for it. I have never had a misfire or any failure to get good sparks in well over 100 shots from it. It is the fastest, most sure lock I have. I wish my TCs were as fast and as easy on flints as my Scout has been.

I am going to bandwagon the positive on Pederoli as well. I have a Scout in .50 and yes, the lock is small. Buy good flints sized for it. I have never had a misfire or any failure to get good sparks in well over 100 shots from it. It is the fastest, most sure lock I have. I wish my TCs were as fast and as easy on flints as my Scout has been.
Happy for your luck. I wished I had had good luck with My three but I was not that Fortunate. ALL My problems with the rifles were solved by L&R locks. Now they are good shooters.

Well that is where we have diff results. It could be my error in trying to get mine to shoot. I bought 2 dz. Tom Fuller Blk. English flints from TOW. They are the size my info with Scout from DGW's said to use 5/8" I cleaned my lock prior to putting my kit together. So its been one step at a time. Cleaned bore n dried it well, put my 3 f Goex load of 50 gr in. Pulled my vent pick out put a gr or tad more of Swiss 4 f into the pan. Bumped priming powder to outside after closing frizzen. Whoosh pan flash 3 times it happened, but my flint had by them broke several places out of the sharp edge. Change flints 2nd try it fires, but its a lite hang fire. I go through this process til i get 3 holes in my target at 10 yards n you can cover them with a qtr. Ruined 5 flints for 5 shots n 2 were hang fires. So i change out vent liner after i clean the Scout up well. It perfored about the same n ruined right at the 1st dz flints. That is about $30 for 2 times shooting. I know that the flints are not suppose to get ruined in 1-3 trigger pulls. So my result is a total neg. for this Scout the lock n Pedersoli Company. Plus i don't care to wait 8 months for my lock to get ck'ed. I paid my good samolians for it n as it stands now it is a $718 one time Charity gift to DGW n Pedersoli

Did you try replacing or sanding the frizzen spring? I had to belt sand the frizzen spring on my Pedersolli Trade gun. Used 400 grit belt on a 1x30 sander. It was chipping flints before I thinned the spring on the top and bottom. I would put some 4f in the main charge. Antechamber could be blocked too. A 36 caliber brush should be able to get in there and clean the antechamber. That is how I clean mine. Try Hops number 9 bore cleaner and ballistol too.

I filed n sanded the frizzen spring yesterday evening. Looks like the weather has me at bay for shooting for a few days
You can test the ignition just with pan powder at home. I have done it just 4f in the pan and fire with no main charge. Is the flint knapped? Are you using leather? If you are using leather did you put a hole in the leather to accommodate for the bolt on the cock? Does the frizzen open more easily now after filing? You may not of removed enough.

https://shop.davide-pedersoli.com/en/202-frizzen-spring
In case you have to buy a new frizzen spring. They sell spare frizzens too.

Last edited:
You can test the ignition just with pan powder at home. I have done it just 4f in the pan and fire with no main charge. Is the flint knapped? Are you using leather? If you are using leather did you put a hole in the leather to accommodate for the bolt on the cock? Does the frizzen open more easily now after filing? You may not of removed enough.

https://shop.davide-pedersoli.com/en/202-frizzen-spring
In case you have to buy a new frizzen spring. They sell spare frizzens too.
Yeah i can go to the front room to fire off a pan of 4 f. Brand new flint, has lead n notch in it, Frizzen does move more freely

https://www.hoppes.com/cleaners-and...pes-9/5-oz-no.-9-gun-bore-cleaner/HO-904.html
I use this hobs cleaner after every shooting session for my scout rifle. There is a pretty good chance your antechamber is clogged. Run it down the barrel outside and some patches, it works wonders.

If the frizzen opens freely and it is still wearing down flints just after a few shots main spring is probably too heavy. You may need to thin the mainspring too.

Last edited:
https://www.hoppes.com/cleaners-and...pes-9/5-oz-no.-9-gun-bore-cleaner/HO-904.html
I use this hobs cleaner after every shooting session for my scout rifle. There is a pretty good chance your antechamber is clogged. Run it down the barrel outside and some patches, it works wonders.

If the frizzen opens freely and it is still wearing down flints just after a few shots main spring is probably too heavy. You may need to thin the mainspring too.
Have to get a bottle of it.
Dropped about a 3rd pan full in the lock n pulled the trigger, whoosh 1st throw on new flint. Cleaned it again, will wait for better weather to try a shooting session

Did you try replacing or sanding the frizzen spring? I had to belt sand the frizzen spring on my Pedersolli Trade gun. Used 400 grit belt on a 1x30 sander. It was chipping flints before I thinned the spring on the top and bottom. I would put some 4f in the main charge. Antechamber could be blocked too. A 36 caliber brush should be able to get in there and clean the antechamber. That is how I clean mine. Try Hops number 9 bore cleaner and ballistol too.
For as much as Pedersoli charges you should Not have to do anything like that. Like I SAID Cadillac prices but YUGO performance.

For as much as Pedersoli charges you should Not have to do anything like that. Like I SAID Cadillac prices but YUGO performance.
Have you priced a well built custom gun from one of the better builders? They are very dependable, but seem to be at least twice what Pedersoli chargers, typically costing $3k or more. And sadly those builders are not getting rich.

You have mentioned L&R locks a couple of times in this thread. Do you do your own case hardening of the lock plate and cock piece (like originals) or hire it out? I have found the L&R locks to require some TLC to be really durable for the long haul.

Traditions has the same issues. All factory guns pretty much need tweaking unless you build your own. My Pedersoli Scout kit was $730 shipped 90% done and my factory lock was fine. It is way better than Traditions for the stock, barrel, sights, and fittings alone. Traditions use Walnut or European Breech Wood. I am pretty sure the scout uses Maple wood stock. It is very sturdy as is the wood on my Trade Gun. Even with L&R their locks have quality control problems too once in a while. Pedersoli is a good value for the money as a kit. If you wanted something better like Kibler you will spend twice as much. Their kits with locks in the white are close to $2000. Pedersoli kits have blued barrels and polished or case hardened locks. Taking off a frizen spring and filing it isn't a big deal. Also they sell spare locks and lock parts on their website. Oh Traditions and Investarms also use antechamber on their rifle barrels. I believe Kibler does too.

Have you priced a well built custom gun from one of the better builders? They are very dependable, but seem to be at least twice what Pedersoli chargers, typically costing $3k or more. And sadly those builders are not getting rich.

You have mentioned L&R locks a couple of times in this thread. Do you do your own case hardening of the lock plate and cock piece (like originals) or hire it out? I have found the L&R locks to require some TLC to be really durable for the long haul.
For what you are paying for a Pedersoli you should Not have to do anything but powder, patch,ball and fire. You wouldn't accept that from another product so Why are you willing to make excuses for poor quality.

Back