• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Scout Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Morning folks, trying to be a happy camper with my Kit built Scout .45. Compared to my Traditions Woodsman Hawken flintlock. So far i have had nothing but trouble with the Scout, have decided to never buy another of their products. Its all about the Scout lock, maybe the operator is the main problem. Its problem is it either does not fire off or terrible hang fires. It ruins the flints in 1-3 shots, i have been getting my Black English Tom Fuller flints from TOW. That is another ongoing problem, hump backed can't get a good leather bite to stop movement. Flints break upon striking the frizzen face, So advice is needed before i convert it to a caplock n sell it. I wanted a nice shooting .45, the barrel is accurate, but i can;t hunt with it not firing n takes 3 -7 tries to get to go off

I bought a Traditions Shenandoah a few years ago that often did the same. I pulled off the frizzen and polished the toe on the frizzen and the top of the frizzen spring and it made all the difference.

A gunsmith can fix that pretty easy, your frizzen spring is probably too strong. Can happen with any brand from time to time. I'd return it for repair if it's under warranty or if not find a gunsmith good with flinters. Shouldn't be a big deal, certainly wouldn't use it to wipe off Pedersoli or sell the gun.

Morning folks, trying to be a happy camper with my Kit built Scout .45. Compared to my Traditions Woodsman Hawken flintlock. So far i have had nothing but trouble with the Scout, have decided to never buy another of their products. Its all about the Scout lock, maybe the operator is the main problem. Its problem is it either does not fire off or terrible hang fires. It ruins the flints in 1-3 shots, i have been getting my Black English Tom Fuller flints from TOW. That is another ongoing problem, hump backed can't get a good leather bite to stop movement. Flints break upon striking the frizzen face, So advice is needed before i convert it to a caplock n sell it. I wanted a nice shooting .45, the barrel is accurate, but i can;t hunt with it not firing n takes 3 -7 tries to get to go off
The Pedersoli lock, like all locks, will benefit from disassembly and careful deburring and polishing. Pedersoli main springs can be to stiff too. I'd advise filing down the width at the bend of both the main spring and frizzen spring. It's not difficult, just have to have patience and not take off too much. And you need to polish the file marks out when finished. Search the forum for older post on doing this if you want to give it a try. Or, as said, take it to a gunsmith familiar with this work, if you can find one.

A gunsmith can fix that pretty easy, your frizzen spring is probably too strong. Can happen with any brand from time to time. I'd return it for repair if it's under warranty or if not find a gunsmith good with flinters. Shouldn't be a big deal, certainly wouldn't use it to wipe off Pedersoli or sell the gun.
I should get a chance to pop the lock out in next couple of days. Its under warranty, bought it from DGW. I live about 120 miles from there. Sumpting wong with it, most likely the springs

Had one, it was a money pit. Got 8 shots before the frizzen went down range.
Only took DGW 10 months to MAKE me another one. Then off to the lock shop it went. A mere 330lb spring did it in.
Been shooting my Chamber look since 2005, nay a problem yet.

I once had a Pedersoli .50 Cub, the same gun as the Scout but with a patchbox. The tiny Pedersoli lock did that very same thing you describe. I did kill a few deer with the rifle and the flint lock but it gave so much trouble I bought a percussion lock for it and problem solved. But I then had a rifle that could switch between flint and cap in just a couple of minutes. That rifle soured me toward the small lock Pedersoli rifles then and there. I sold the rifle after several years including both locks. I also informed the buyer of the troublesome flint lock. That rifle was very accurate, I'll give it that.

I once had a Pedersoli .50 Cub, the same gun as the Scout but with a patchbox. The tiny Pedersoli lock did that very same thing you describe. I did kill a few deer with the rifle and the flint lock but it gave so much trouble I bought a percussion lock for it and problem solved. But I then had a rifle that could switch between flint and cap in just a couple of minutes. That rifle soured me toward the small lock Pedersoli rifles then and there. I sold the rifle after several years including both locks. I also informed the buyer of the troublesome flint lock. That rifle was very accurate, I'll give it that.
Well i called DGW repair/warranty. Was told yes i had a 2 year warranty, then he said it make take then up 8 months before they could ck lock repair it n so on. That wait time is unreal, so now do i buy a perc. lock for it or see if L&R rpl will fit or not n be out another $250. Yup money pit

Well i called DGW repair/warranty. Was told yes i had a 2 year warranty, then he said it make take then up 8 months before they could ck lock repair it n so on. That wait time is unreal, so now do i buy a perc. lock for it or see if L&R rpl will fit or not n be out another $250. Yup money pit
I would file down the width (don't mess with the thickness) of both the main spring and frizzen spring. Use a decent mill file, take off small (.005"-.006") amounts at a time. Concentrate on removing from mid spring to the bend. Reassemble and check the feel often. Polish off the file marks when done. I've done this on Pedersoli locks with very good results.

I would file down the width (don't mess with the thickness) of both the main spring and frizzen spring. Use a decent mill file, take off small (.005"-.006") amounts at a time. Concentrate on removing from mid spring to the bend. Reassemble and check the feel often. Polish off the file marks when done. I've done this on Pedersoli locks with very good results.
I am going to take your advice on the spring filing work. You can't ruin ruined. Think i will get the perc. conversion as a back-up. Thank you

I am going to take your advice on the spring filing work. You can't ruin ruined. Think i will get the perc. conversion as a back-up. Thank you
Good thing is, both these springs can be easily replaced in the event you did mess one up. Do a forum search on thinning main springs for additional input and work slow.

I have a Pedersoli Scout in 32 caliber with both the percussion and flint locks. Really only use it with the flint lock, and it has been very dependable and easy to shoot.

For full disclosure, I do disassemble any new locks and go through them before use. Knock down any burrs and polish all mating surfaces, and also lighten the springs as necessary, then lubricate as I reassemble them.

The one thing I just do with my flintlocks that may cause some folks hair to spontaneously combust, is I use a relatively large touch hole, with most all at 5/64” (.078”), with a very short straight at that diameter, with a large chamfer on the powder side. Over time I have found that as long as I get ignition in the pan the main charge goes off reliably and fast.

And I might add that I have put about three quarters of an eight pound jug of 1-1/2 Buckshot from Ballistic Products through this gun, well over 800 shots.

Last edited:
I have the scout cub in .40 cal. percussion. I would like to convert it to flint with a quality replacement lock

Attachments

• 20211117_081426.jpg
    20211117_081426.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
I have a Pedersoli Scout in .50 and it sparks great, probably the surest firing flintlock I own. It does have a small lock, I use pistol flints in it, but they last a long time if I install them correctly. I did change from a leather flint cushion to a thin strip of lead flashing, and it sparks every time, and would be my go-to if I am going deer hunting. It’s short, light, and very accurate with 60-70gr fffg and .490 patched round ball and a .018 lubed patch.
If you don’t want it, list it here, I might want a .45.

Attachments

• AE6ADA0D-57D2-4835-BDF0-4A088B28C217.jpeg
    AE6ADA0D-57D2-4835-BDF0-4A088B28C217.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Save your trouble and go to L&R and get a decent Lock. I've had to replace everyone of my cheap Pedersoli locks with dependable Locks. For as much as Pedersoli charges for their guns you would think that they are Quality. Sadly not the case. Get a good Lock

Save your trouble and go to L&R and get a decent Lock. I've had to replace everyone of my cheap Pedersoli locks with dependable Locks. For as much as Pedersoli charges for their guns you would think that they are Quality. Sadly not the case. Get a good Lock
Great idea!
Send me those “junk” Pedersoli flintlocks. I have two Pedersoli flintlocks and they both spark great. Maybe it’s not the lock, but the operator!

Attachments

• EA0D41DD-6CD8-40DC-BC30-588D0184F50F.jpeg
    EA0D41DD-6CD8-40DC-BC30-588D0184F50F.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 0
As far as I know L&R doesn't make a replacement lock for the Pedersolli Lancaster pattern rifles. I did discuss this with you on my thread with my fifty caliber scout flintlock. I bought mine from Dixie too. If you do break a spring from over filing it you can order new springs. I would file the frizzen spring. I did have flash no bang first time or two I took it out but that wasn't the locks fault. I was using 2f for the primary charge. As far as I know all the Pedersolli Lancaster pattern rifles have an antechamber at the breech. I mix a little 4f now with the main charge so the 4f gets into the antechamber. It does ensure reliable ignition for me using some 4f with the main charge.

Last edited:
I’ve had good luck with my Pedersoli locks. They need to be tuned as with any brand. I did have one that I had to lighten up the main spring on, it’s fine now. Are they as good as a Chambers or Kibler, no, but I put the Pedersoli locks only a step or 2 below L&R. I’ve had trouble with them too.

I have the scout cub in .40 cal. percussion. I would like to convert it to flint with a quality replacement lock
Dixie gun Works sells the flintlock for it. If they are out of stock they usually get them in quick. That and a vent liner and it’s a simple swap out. I believe the lock is $175

Great idea!
Send me those “junk” Pedersoli flintlocks. I have two Pedersoli flintlocks and they both spark great. Maybe it’s not the lock, but the operator!
Not the operator when dealing with junk. With Pedersoli you are being charged for a Cadillac that's built out of YUGO parts

Latest posts

Back