• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Scout Carbine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burlesontom

.50 Cal
Reaction score
Finally made it out to shoot my new to me Pedersoli .50 caliber Scout rifle. I used 50grs of 3F Goex powder, a .012 patch lubed with water soluble oil and a .490 ball. Range was 45 yards. I shot a little to the right but moved the rear sight a touch when I got home. I had 5 in a sorta good group and one that hit the bottom when the gun went off before I was ready. I need to adjust the trigger so it isn't so sensitive. Anyway had fun shooting my new deer rifle I plan on using this year.

001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG

That's got all the promise in the world for a hunting rifle. And fun to shoot too! Looks comparable to my Frontier Carbine in accuracy, though stock config is a little different. Well done!

I too own a Pedersoli Scout in .50. Mine is a flinter though. I did pull the adjustable rear sight off mine and installed a fixed semi buckhorn. Excellent little rifle that’s light and easy to maneuver around should one be in a tree stand or thick underbrush. Never hunted with mine but would imagine that it would be an excellent deer gun.

I use a .490 ball with .018 pillow ticking spit patch, 60 gr. Goex 3f. Can almost put them on top of each other at 30 yards off hand.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Brown Bear I think the buttstock shape on my gun is called a Roman Nose style. I had one of the Cabelas sold Blue Ridge rifles that I think has the same stock shape as your Frontier rifle.

Cowboy this was the first time I have used the .012 patch material. The PT material I have is around .020+ thick and really hard to load. I bought this at WM and it is a tough tight weave material labeled as Linen but I don't know if its Irish linen or not. I suspect not since it was only about $3 a yard IIRC. It is brown in color and for the life of me I could not find a spent patch in the leaf covered grass to see how well they held up. If I use the heavier charge to hunt with I will use a firewall patch below the ball. That works really well and I have done it for years. Shot ball patches look so good you could reuse them.

I am really pleased with this gun. I like the just barely over 6 pound weight. The Pedersoli site list it as having a 1/32 twist. So I measured my bore and it made a half rotation in 24" so its a 1/48 twist as I suspected. I guess they goofed on the description of the gun.

I don't mind the rear sight like it is. But a new silver blade from TOW might be in order. I had to paint the back of the blade lime green so I could see it. The black just disappeared on me.

I found a place that sells real Irish Linen and will send free samples. So I am going to get them to send me a few pieces and see if they have some that is between .012 and .015 in thickness and then buy a couple of yards of it.

Yes, the stock is definitely Roman Nose. Yes, the twist on mine is definitely 1:48. I too read where they’re advertising it as a 1:32, but like yours mine is 1:48.

Yes, mine is just a little over 6 pounds.

I also own the Blue Ridge and a Hatfield. They are not as pronounced as being a Roman Nose like the Pedersoli Scout. They’re very slight compared to the Scout.

Respectfully, Cowboy

I wish I had of kept the Blue Ridge rifle I owned many years ago. IIRC I paid just over $300 for it back around 1999 or so. But the skinny buttstock sorta turned me off. I like the butt stock shape on the scout much better.

I just sold the Pedersoli Dixie Pennsylvania rifle I had. Nice gun but the 42" barrel was just too long. Another reason I like the Scout with its 28" barrel. This gun is just about perfect. If it were just in .45 caliber...

Nice, I like it. I'm a round-ball guy myself, but that would pack a nice punch (if you wanted more punch) I bet with the Hornady "PA" 240 grain slug. Just a thought. I have a .58 I made into a short little "scout" rifle. It's pretty cool, and certainly packs a punch. You prefer .45 to .50? Nothing wrong with that, just curious. ??

Hi Rat. Yes I like the 45 better than the 50 caliber. And for my Cabelas 45 Hawken I also have 200gr REAL bullets it shoots well. That about 25grs more weight than the 50 caliber ball.

And I have 50 caliber Lee REAL 320 and 380gr lead bullets. One is a Minnie' hollow base. I just like round ball loads best.

I had a .58 cal Invest Arms with a similar roman nose stock. It was short and configured kind of like a mountain rifle with a 28" barrel. I shot round ball out of it and had high hopes to use it here for moose and bear.

It was accurate but no fun to shoot with that stock. 80 to 100 grains at targets and I had to mash my cheek on the stock to get a decent sight picture. After 6 shots in a row I'd be done. I sold it to someone else who gave it away to his nephew. The gun was in excellent shape. I liked it and the thinner barrel was light. If I had it now I'd change the stock or the sights.

Yours looks great! The .50 caliber should be much more fun to shoot. 1-48 twist is sweet too! My TC .50 shot round ball fine and the Maxi ball really well.

Last edited:
Is there any factual information on the historical authenticity of a "scout carbine" type rifle? I'm guessing it is a modern incarnation, but is has many similarities (dimensions) to the Jaeger Rifle.

I'm guessing it is a modern incarnation,

It was Pedersoli's answer to the Jukar "longrifles" once sold by CVA, and now sold by Traditions (imho), only about $235 more expensive and with a few upgrades. You do have the option of getting it in .32... it has a one piece stock, set triggers, and an adjustable rear sight. The .50 caliber version has a 1:35 twist, however.

LD

Latest posts

Back