Pedersoli Scout .32 cal Accuracy Help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Leadriver

40 Cal
Reaction score
A photo would be good. A close up of several balls.
I would think you would notice on loading if they were all shapes, no?
It is good that the patches are in good condition. Did you say there are no holes or tares in the shot patches?
Did you check the bedding under breech?
Here is a pic of the patches from the last time I was out, except for some fraying on the edges they look good. I also put a few of the balls in there to show what they look like. I laid the one second from the right in its side to show how flat it looks. It has the same mark as the ball in the top left of the picture.

Attachments

• D985D6FE-4537-41AF-B4BA-5EDD577DA4B9.jpeg
    D985D6FE-4537-41AF-B4BA-5EDD577DA4B9.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Reaction score
Them balls look bad. Put the imperfections forward most during loaded.
Yeah the patches look good but zoom in on a couple and I think I'm seeing a hole or tare.
Are you still having to use a starter?

Reaction score
Do you know of 4f blowing a barrel apart?
I would love to read about that.
No, I don't know that 4f has blown a barrel apart. That's why I suggested that @Leadriver use his 4f real black powder in his 32 caliber rifle. I've also read your posts on the use of 4f and think if Leadriver was using Pyrodex as part of his main charge, then that is a contributing factor to the poor accuracy results he is seeing.

Leadriver

40 Cal
Reaction score
Them balls look bad. Put the imperfections forward most during loaded.
Yeah the patches look good but zoom in on a couple and I think I'm seeing a hole or tare.
Are you still having to use a starter?
Yea but, I machined down both ends so I have no issue with the patch getting in the way. I only use the short part to start the ball and cut the patch off at the muzzle. The I just use my ramrod to push the ball down. It’s def a snug fit. No patches have any holes or tearing, just frayed at the edges is all.

Last edited:

Leadriver

40 Cal
Reaction score
No, I don't know that 4f has blown a barrel apart. That's why I suggested that @Leadriver use his 4f real black powder in his 32 caliber rifle. I've also read your posts on the use of 4f and think if Leadriver was using Pyrodex as part of his main charge, then that is a contributing factor to the poor accuracy results he is seeing.
No pryodex only black powder so far in this cap lock .

Leadriver

40 Cal
Reaction score
Might put an order in for schutzen 3F black powder. I have 2 buddies that want some aswell. I have read the schutezen powder is finer than the correlating goex designation. Such as 2F schutzen is finer than goex 2F. I have no experience with schutzen powder so anyone that personally has experience with both a response would be appreciated.

dragnetbill

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Do you think thoes balls could be contributing to the erratic accuracy?
YES!
I have a Pedersoli Frontier in .36 that shoots good clean .350 round balls just fine, but, when I tried some .350 Hornady buck shot that had belts and deformities similar to the balls in your picture I always got wider groups with fliers.

Leadriver

40 Cal
Reaction score
YES!
I have a Pedersoli Frontier in .36 that shoots good clean .350 round balls just fine, but, when I tried some .350 Hornady buck shot that had belts and deformities similar to the balls in your picture I always got wider groups with fliers.
That’s why I’m trying to find a .311 round ball mold to cast my own. I figured atleast some of the issue was the balls.

Latest posts