• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Conversion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodRabbitPilgrim

Do Not Live in America
Reaction score
Just wondering whether people knew if there was a conversion kit or a way to convert my sidelock into a flintlock?

I looked at the kiblers but I can't see it costing less than $3-4k getting it to my part of the world.

I figure if i can get a flint srtup for my Rocky Mountain it may keep me happy for a while!

Is this a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain percussion Hawken we are discussing? I suppose a conversion could be done, but I don't know of a kit made for that purpose. If such a kit existed, it would probably include a new lock, barrel with breech installed, and a new tang with standing breech for the hook. Pedersoli's guns are not cheap, but their parts are astronomical. A permanent conversion would at least require rebreeching and a new lock. I don't know of a flint lock that would fit that lock mortise "out of the box." I think this job would be a real chore, best done by a professional. It won't be cheap, and in the end, you'll end up with a rifle unlike any known rifle from history. I honestly don't think you'll save any money, and I doubt you'll be happy with the result. In addition, I have no doubt a conversion like that will seriously devalue your rifle if you should ever want to sell it.

If I may make a suggestion, and you think you'll be happy with a halfstocked Hawken-style flintlock, maybe trade your Rocky Mountain Hawken for one of the new Lyman/Pedersoli Great Plains Signature rifles in flintlock:

lyman-gps-50-f_1.jpg

Your Rocky Mountain, in new condition, is worth more than one of these. Used, you might make an even swap or even spend a few dollars, but I think you'll come out ahead in the long run. These Signature GPRs are said to be very nice rifles.

Mr. Kibler's kits have gotten a lot of press lately. By all accounts, they are excellent in every respect. However, there are other builders still out there, and I think it would be to your advantage to research it some more and determine exactly what you want. You might just find a used flintlock that fills your needs for a reasonable price, and you keep your Rocky Mountain Hawken intact.

Good luck to you!

Notchy Bob

What part of the world are you located in?
Australia, general rule of thumb is double the price of the gun in the states and that's our price. Add postage and all the rigmarole that goes on with importing something not stocked and you can double it again.

The best price I could get on a Pedersoli Missouri River Hawken in maple was $2750. I've seen the same gun for $1300 over your way.

Is this a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain percussion Hawken we are discussing? I suppose a conversion could be done, but I don't know of a kit made for that purpose. If such a kit existed, it would probably include a new lock, barrel with breech installed, and a new tang with standing breech for the hook. Pedersoli's guns are not cheap, but their parts are astronomical. A permanent conversion would at least require rebreeching and a new lock. I don't know of a flint lock that would fit that lock mortise "out of the box." I think this job would be a real chore, best done by a professional. It won't be cheap, and in the end, you'll end up with a rifle unlike any known rifle from history. I honestly don't think you'll save any money, and I doubt you'll be happy with the result. In addition, I have no doubt a conversion like that will seriously devalue your rifle if you should ever want to sell it.

If I may make a suggestion, and you think you'll be happy with a halfstocked Hawken-style flintlock, maybe trade your Rocky Mountain Hawken for one of the new Lyman/Pedersoli Great Plains Signature rifles in flintlock:

View attachment 83423

Your Rocky Mountain, in new condition, is worth more than one of these. Used, you might make an even swap or even spend a few dollars, but I think you'll come out ahead in the long run. These Signature GPRs are said to be very nice rifles.

Mr. Kibler's kits have gotten a lot of press lately. By all accounts, they are excellent in every respect. However, there are other builders still out there, and I think it would be to your advantage to research it some more and determine exactly what you want. You might just find a used flintlock that fills your needs for a reasonable price, and you keep your Rocky Mountain Hawken intact.

Good luck to you!

Notchy Bob

Kibler is just an example I guess, any gun not stocked in Australia has a high cost to import. The importer said work on at least doubling the cost of the rifle once converted to AUD.

I've seen plenty of second hand ones but reading on this forum has put me off cheaper flint locks because of all the poor tolerances and set ups of cheap locks. Having said that we don't have the volume or brand range you guys would have in the states.

Australia, general rule of thumb is double the price of the gun in the states and that's our price. Add postage and all the rigmarole that goes on with importing something not stocked and you can double it again.
Well that is a paradigm shift as far as obtaining a muzzleloader. Sounds like you have to use importers even if you made the purchase at the component level.

In any conversation effort, you will need a flintlock. Do you have one or can you obtain one that fits your Rocky Mountain? Doesn’t sound like it as you are looking for a conversion kit. Have never heard of one myself, but that doesn’t mean one doesn’t exist. Best of luck in your search.

A conversion kit would include a lock and a flint chambered breech plug if you would want to be able to have flint lock / percussion lock interchangeability.

The conversion would involve removing the percussion chambered breech plug and installing the flint chambered breech plug. Then the flats on the barrel would have to properly line up so the sights are on top and the wedges are on the bottom. Maybe they have the precision machinery to have the threads identical, but I would not expect that to be the case.

The simpler, but equally costly would be the flint lock and the flint chambered barrel. of course in that case a set of sights and wedges would be required.

In most instances, the simplest solution is a second rifle in flint and I am sure that has been no simple task either.

Sorry, I missed that.
No, I do not Know what you are talking about the Land Down Under! Are there problems?
He will have more into it than a new gun, don't you think?

Last edited:
Can you sell it locally (is anything local in Australia?) and put those coins towards a muzzleloader that you really want? It would help offset the ridiculous unfair shipping costs. Sound pretty tough.

Guess you also missed where he told us likely costs that he would incur buying a new gun?
Sorry, I missed that.
No, I do not Know what you are talking about the Land Down Under! Are there problems?
He will have more into it than a new gun, don't you think?

The best price I could get on a Pedersoli Missouri River Hawken in maple was $2750. I've seen the same gun for $1300 over your way.

L&R has a flint lock I believe will fit your mortise in your stock.

I purchased this lock for my TC hawkins and took the breech plug out and performed a BUBBA grind on it to remove the cap capablety and drilled a hole n threaded it for a 5/16ths touch hole. While I had the plug out I reamed the patent breech channel out and polished it.

Walla ... capper to flintlock.

Got my lock and touch hole from Track O The Wolf.

Go slow and pre think every move before diving in. Is not rocket science.

Grind, file, polish and blue/brown to match.

GoodRabbitPilgrim

So how much can you sell your gun for and then buy a new one, what is the cost difference?

What is the cost of parts and labor to re-do the old one?

Last edited:
Is it possible to machine the percussion breech plug to accept a vent liner?

Can this be done?

Not sure where the passage is or the location that it would come out the side?

They make vents from 5mm to 3/8", could one be located in the proper location?

Just a thought.

I've given up on this idea, just going to save my pennies and buy a flinter one day. Just need to decide what make and what cal.

A .58 Kibler Colonial would be nice if I could get it here without having to sacrifice my first born.

Latest posts

Back