• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pedersoli poor quality

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m very happy with an old Ped. Bess I bought used but a recent Trade Gun had a minor routing bobble behind the tang. Could be worked out if one wanted to refinish the stock. I don’t, so I live with it and it really is minor. Seems a lot more companies are satisfied using the consumer as their QC Dept. A disgusting turn of events IMHO. I got an Uberti 1851 a couple of years back that never should have left the factory and I told them so. The replacement revolver was perfect.
I’m glad to hear you were able to get that revolver replaced. Did the seller or pedersoli replace it?

I don't think it was caused from a worker's sanding, but rather from whatever machine they are using to cut the stocks out.
I bought one of their KY pistol kits that had a huge flat spot in it. It took a lot to work to get it completely out and then even up the other side so the grip was symmetric.
IMO the same could have been done to yours before finishing it and shipping it.
Thank you for your input. What you said makes perfect sense and I believe now that’s exactly what happened cause it had me wondering how someone could deliberately sand the wood that low in one spot. The spot on yours actually looks the same that’s on mine

Hope things workout for you. I have there 12 SxS from about 10 years ago and fit n finish is very nice. You definitely have anyone considering a purchase to double think. I you were to be building a rifle and you would have done those mistake’s probably would feel different or get new stock but you paid good money for it to be done right. Again hope it works out!
I hope so too. Thank you

Thank you for your input. What you said makes perfect sense and I believe now that’s exactly what happened cause it had me wondering how someone could deliberately sand the wood that low in one spot. The spot on yours actually looks the same that’s on mine

The worker probably just gave your wood a quick shaping/sand job thinking he could blend it in just enough it might get by some buyers. Or maybe they only have so much time or are working piece time.
Pretty sad showing by Pedersoli.

Hello everyone I just bought my first Pedersoli. It’s a frontier flintlock. I went with them because I’ve heard nothing but good things about them from a lot of ppl I know. But when I received my rifle I’m really disappointed in the stock finish. Someone got a little carried away when sanding and sanded a low spot in the wood around the lock. Can some of you give me some input if I’m being to picky or if it’s unacceptable?
I have the Pedersoli Kentucky and it's pretty clean. Gun shoot nice and straight. The thing I've noticed (and this is across the board) all services have been negatively impacted by the pandemic. People were shook. But the sun is coming up again. I've been seeing an uptick in quality on a lot of levels. The unemployment has run out. The relief checks have dried up and the work from home thing is coming to an end. The dog eat dog, stab your coworker in the back for a raise rat race will begin shortly and quality will return. I'd return that gun and ask for a replacement. If that's not possible, wait six months then try it again. OR wait till a forum member has something to sell. That's where I got my Pedersoli. Made a pretty good friend to. Good luck.

I was thinking the same exact thing. They got it sanded enough hoping it could slip through hoping the buyer wouldn’t notice. I honestly felt it with my fingers before I saw it. Had to hold it just right in the light to see it.

My Pedersoli Scout looks like it came off the stock carving machine and someone started finishing out the carving before saying screw it and just passed it down the line to finish it. I got it second hand for a good price, so I'm not too worried. It'll make a good project fixing it up, and I can reshape the roman nose while I'm at it. You can see in front of the lock where they started to finish carving it and then just gave up.
20230324_191446.jpg

20230324_191428.jpg

20230324_191454.jpg

20230324_191515.jpg

20230324_191530.jpg

I think that everybody is forgetting that Italy got hit extremely hard with Covid. A lot of the craftsmen and women at Pedersoli and Pietta may have died and their replacements haven't gotten as skilled yet.
Hello everyone I just bought my first Pedersoli. It’s a frontier flintlock. I went with them because I’ve heard nothing but good things about them from a lot of ppl I know. But when I received my rifle I’m really disappointed in the stock finish. Someone got a little carried away when sanding and sanded a low spot in the wood around the lock. Can some of you give me some input if I’m being to picky or if it’s unacceptable?

I think that everybody is forgetting that Italy got hit extremely hard with Covid. A lot of the craftsmen and women at Pedersoli and Pietta may have died and their replacements haven't gotten as skilled yet

Overall Pedersoli guns are like Uberti guns: before these guns were the best, but in the last years the quality has gone down. They are as good at shooting but much less well-finished than in the past...
I also have some small problems with my Frontier (also called Blue Ridge), but as it shoots perfectly I won't complain too much...
It must also be said that Pedersoli is the last manufacturer of affordable guns in Europe. It is possible to buy a weapon from Tilo Dedinski, but not only will it be as ugly as a pile of bricks, but it will also be out of reach for the average person...

My Pedersoli Scout looks like it came off the stock carving machine and someone started finishing out the carving before saying screw it and just passed it down the line to finish it. I got it second hand for a good price, so I'm not too worried. It'll make a good project fixing it up, and I can reshape the roman nose while I'm at it. You can see in front of the lock where they started to finish carving it and then just gave up.
View attachment 209195
View attachment 209196
View attachment 209194
View attachment 209193
View attachment 209192
that is not hard to fix I would look forward to doing it in the winter. do any of you guys ever hunt with these rifles? cause they would be beat to hell a lot worse then what you showing.

View attachment 209195
View attachment 209196
View attachment 209194
View attachment 209193
View attachment 209192
Wow that’s the worst one I’ve ever seen. That’s like beginner level kit gun quality. That is as my dad always said “a rainy day rifle” to take out in bad weather or rough terrain and keep the nice rifles at home.

that is not hard to fix I would look forward to doing it in the winter. do any of you guys ever hunt with these rifles? cause they would be beat to hell a lot worse then what you showing.
I hunt with most of my rifles that are reliable. Some I get out and have fun shooting. I will definitely be taking the frontier out.

I think that everybody is forgetting that Italy got hit extremely hard with Covid. A lot of the craftsmen and women at Pedersoli and Pietta may have died and their replacements haven't gotten as skilled yet
That’s true. I believe they were the ones the got hit hard before anybody else other than china.

I was just thinking of getting one of those Pedersoli rifles, then I seen this post and thought nope, the I’ve been looking at the Lyman Gemmer Hawken, seen posts about bent pins, sanding marks, and sights that are too thick to see… seems I’m at a loss

I have a few Pedersoli products and they are all pretty decent. Good fit and finish, but I have a couple that aren't so nice in the locks. I also some Kibler rifles and would chose any one of them over the Pedersoli guns, You might want to consider a Kibler if you can return that Pedersoli. The Kibler guns are head and shoulders over the Pedersoli's in quality and accuracy.

Although I'm here in Australia everything I read and hear about Jim Kiblers Rifles indicates that theyre the Rolls Royce quality when it comes to Muzzle Loaders, I envy you living in the States and having them easily available to you, as for cost IMHO theyre worth every dollar.

Latest posts

Back