• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pedersoli or TOTW Kentucky pistol kit?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpflint2007

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’d like to ask a few questions from those with experience with these kits. I redid a CVA kentucky kit that I picked up from a show and along the way found a lot of stuff I’m not too fond of that I really can’t fix without spending nearly the price of a new Traditions kit on a new stock and barrel. I figure it’ll be a lot better to keep the CVA as a test bed for ideas and to shift efforts from making it PC to getting a new kit but of better quality from the get go.

Whichever kit I go with, it’ll be a flintlock to compliment the Pedersoli Kentucky .45 I have. I see Pedersoli has inletting issues that usually need rectified with bits and pieces from TOTW and other places, but that kit is $395 from Dixie and in stock. The TOTW kit has a few parts on back order and generally just out of stock, but comes with the bits and pieces to pin the barrel properly instead of having to modify the Pedersoli to get rid of the screw on nose cap holding the barrel in place.

So, what do you all recommend I try? I have a drill press and plenty of drill bits and taps. Plenty of chisels, hacksaw blades, carving tools, files etc. Or is there another kit that is higher quality than a Traditions I may be overlooking for sub $600?

Pretty simple, with TOTW being "out of stock" with all pistol barrels, and pistol stocks being "back ordered",, you could be waiting many-many months for parts.
They ALL have inletting issues.
So ya might as well get the Pedersoli to compliment your Pedersoli,,
Then research options to add underlugs for pinning the barrel if you choose.(solder on?)
(I'd leave the pedersoli barrel as supplied,, having a barrel that's removable makes cleaning much easier.)

I have a Pedersoli Kentucky flintlock pistol I built from a kit. Besides the items you mentioned the lock on mine was terrible, so I ended up sending it to Brad Emig for a tune up. I also had ignition issues with the breech that I had to fix as I would get 3 shots and then had to clean it, I ended up doing some drilling on the breech and that fixed it. Don't know if it was a factory defect but another guy on this forum had the same issue and told me the fix. I see on the TOTW kits you can get an L&R or also a siler lock. I am not an L&R fan but the siler is supposed to be good one. Just my two cents. Good luck.

I built a Pendersoli Ketucky in .54 to match my rifle. I had to have the trigger guard replaced twice due to pits/holes, and poor fit (wasn't able to bend it without breaking), but other than that, it went together nicely and shoots great. I have a more elaborate post somewhere around here about my build, but where I succeeded in building this kit, I'm failing at finding previous posts to direct you to! For me, the most involved part was trying to dye (not stain) the wood in this kit to look more like English walnut than the American walnut that it is. I used a yellow dye first, producing a "banana-looking" stock that I worried would never turn out ok, and then followed with a redish brown dye. The end result was exactly what I was after.

Thankful for advice I received here, I went ahead and purchase a Pendersoli Kentucky flintlock kit. This will be my first “build,” though really just a kit gun and nothing like a lot of the incredible craftsmanship that I see posted here.

I’m a total newb to gun building, so I’m appreciative of any/all advice from those of you who do this kind of work!

My plans are to stick with the main design, sanding and shaping minimally as necessary to improve the fit and finish, and to make it something to be proud of. I would like to brown the barrel, and polish the brass to match an antique style. Unsure on all other details, including my wood finish options.

Here are some pics of the kit, for those interested in what comes in the box:

TXFlynHog
Here is the start of your post you were looking for. Started April 2 2020
post 1648615, member: 31268

View attachment 27618
View attachment 27621
View attachment 27622
View attachment 27623
View attachment 27624
View attachment 27625
View attachment 27626
First job for the weekend is to clear off space on my garage workbench!

So, what do you all recommend I try? I have a drill press and plenty of drill bits and taps. Plenty of chisels, hacksaw blades, carving tools, files etc. Or is there another kit that is higher quality than a Traditions I may be overlooking for sub $600?
Check out American Pistol Kit . The kit is under $600 and should be head and shoulders above either of the ones you're looking at. Clay also has a video -
I know it's not in .45, but seems like a super deal.
Kevin

Check out American Pistol Kit . The kit is under $600 and should be head and shoulders above either of the ones you're looking at. Clay also has a video -
I know it's not in .45, but seems like a super deal.
Kevin

The caliber thing may not be a huge deal to me. Worst case I have to get different balls and eventually a mold when I figure what it would like. That thing does look nice.

Latest posts

Back