• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli oiled stock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Trying to figure out a Pedersoli stock.
I’ve bought plenty of wood stocks, finished and unfinished, for “modern” guns and finished them myself with the usual linseed or BLO or tung.

Pedersoli says their stocks are “oiled” but does anyone know with what?
Not complaining about looks or feel but I can’t figure out what it is for future maintenance or repair.

Oppure si può usare la gommalacca io la uso solo sugli originali, è un lavoro lungo ci vogliono parecchie mani e fatica, ma il risultato è ottimo, si può arrivare ad una lucentezza effetto vetro

Highlight the passage in Italian. Right click on your mouse and select translate. Of course @Gianki should follow the rules and make his posts in English.

"‎Or you can use shellac I use it only on the originals, it is a long job it takes several hands and effort, but the result is excellent, you can get to a glass effect shine‎"

Last edited:
Or you can use shellac I use it only on the originals, it is a long job it takes several hands and effort, but the result is excellent, you can get to a glass effect shine

Ciao, i miei Pedersoli li ho rifatti tutti ad olio di lino e teak oil, secondo me sono laccati con vernici sintetiche simili all'olio

Ciao, i miei Pedersoli li ho rifatti tutti ad olio di lino e teak oil, secondo me sono laccati con vernici sintetiche simili all'olio
On my computer, I can highlight the Italian sentence with my mouse. I then right click on my mouse and in the window there is an option to translate to English.

‎Hello, my Pedersoli I redone them all with linseed oil and teak oil, in my opinion they are lacquered with synthetic paints similar to oil‎

I have a Pedersoli shotgun that got wet on a hunting trip two years ago and the stock finish literally flaked off. I took it to an old time antique collector/furniture refinisher/gunsmith who refinished it with Danish oil. It’s more durable now and I can patch it if needed as he gave me some extra.

A while back I put a small gouge in my Pedersoli Springfield 1795, the wood underneath the glaze was lighter than the rest. I tried many different products to get the color correct and ultimately found that the best solution was a brown sharpie followed by an outer protective veneer similar to the rest of the wood. Now you can't tell there was any damage whatsoever.

Yes. The wood finish, IMHO, is a “bit of an insult” to the excellent and fine metal work on my Pedersolis.
Visually its just okay but by feel it had me wondering exactly what it was being used. Linseed/BLO/Tung user normally on other (real) historical weapons.

Course the problem with any wood refinishing project is ALL of the old stuff needs to come off. Sometimes simple, sometimes not so much.
Someday perhaps I’ll look into stripping the old. Sounds like a deep winter project.
How were the early 1800’s European stocks finished?

Last edited:
Generally military weapons with whale oil or other types of oils, weapons of fine shellac, civilian weapons with what was available. Tomorrow, if I can, I post some photos of originals preserved and restored with paints related to the period

I state that as a work restoration antique furniture, and as a hobby restoration my weapons

I stripped the stock of a new (2020) Pedersoli because I did not like the look. Looked like a plastic coating. Whatever it was it took 24 house of soaking in a methylene chloride paint stripper and then some periodic scraping. But I got it off. I refinished with successive applications and rubbings using Birchwood Tru-Oil. Now it has a depth of color - much more pleasing to see.

Latest posts

Back