• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pedersoli Mortimer Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like the looks of English Sporting Rifles. Just couldn't afford a Mortimer. A friend has one. He was having ignition problems that he thought was lock geometry. We changed the geometry by changing the flint size and position in the cock and bang.

Hi Al,
My late older brother had one for many years and we shot it quite a bit. It benefited greatly from me tuning up the lock. I did not like the gun because it was very muzzle heavy, not at all balanced like original 18th and early 19th century British rifle that I have actually handled (not very many to be sure). However, it was accurate, reliable, and well made. It just does not really represent the feel or quality of a good English rifle from the period.

dave

Got mine spring of 2014. Target version with provision for peep sight. As others have said, it's heavy at 10lbs. Lock sparks well, well polished. Nock breech is easy enough to clean. Sling swivels help with hauling it around after critters. Stock finish shows dings but a little oil seems to get them to disappear. Simple trigger has just a touch of creep at let off. Sliding safety is a nice touch if hunting with it. Adds a little extra security.

Very accurate. Target is from when I was adjusting the flip up sights. 3 shot 50 yard group at 1/2" and 100 yd group at 2 3/4".

ec5d11d8-457d-4ac8-9d93-2f6f58193e59_zps957925d7.jpg

Have also won the rifle trail with it at our last two rondies.

a186099bef3847bc18f3edba9c054149_zps0beddeb6.jpg

The Whitworth version of the gun has a shorter, lighter barrel that handles better (although I suspect that your concerns are still valid). Only one was ever made in flintlock, however.

If it is a good price buy it. I doubt that you will be sorry with the purchase.
As Bakeoven said the target version with the peep rear sight would be the choice.
I have no trouble with the balance & weight of mine & I think that it hangs on target very well. It also points well because it is stocked more as a shotgun than a rifle & it has cast off.
My lock sear needed some attention & then the trigger pull was much better. Simple job really.
The barrels are very good, as is typical of a Pedersoli. The stock finish is a bit Christmas tree bauble shiny with its finish, but maybe that is just because I personally prefer an oil or wax finish a bit on the flat side.
The wood in the original ram rod leaves a lot to be desired & in fact the ram rod as a whole looks like a cheap after thought when compared to the rest of the rifle. Replace that & all is good.

O.

Asking price is 1300.00 and its on consignment. Im not so sure I would give that much for one as when I looked at the new price it wasn't much more than that. Al

Yeah, but is it the target or standard.
That is the asking $, talk to them & see what accessories (bullet mould, powder horn, :idunno:) if any can be thrown in.
O.

I believe Pedersoli's primary target audience for the Mortimer with the aperture sight are the MLAIC competitors who would use it in the Maximilian event (Flintlock rifle, prone at 100m), so the extra weight is an advantage there. I've never owned one, but have seen plenty in use.

19 16 6 said:
The wood in the original ram rod leaves a lot to be desired & in fact the ram rod as a whole looks like a cheap after thought when compared to the rest of the rifle. Replace that & all is good.

O.

Yeah, forgot about that. I made a thicker, tapered hickory rod for mine. The one that came with the gun was more suited to a .45 than a .54 and rattled around in the thimbles.

Al Rittenhouse said:
There is one for sale online. Rifle looks really nice. Anyone have one or any comments about this gun. Thanks Al

I've been watching that gun (at $1300) for quite some time. Keeps getting listed at the same price. Can't get the seller to answer my question about what looks like a void at the 11:00 position of the vent liner. Very close to new price from Richard Beauchamp.

Seems like a lot of things that are put up like real estate . They are more speculation than an article that is actually up for sale.
Why not buy a new one if you would pay that ?
O.

There isn't any question in my mind I wouldn't pay that for a used one and therefore haven't even made an offer. To me the guy is about 3 to 4 hundred to high. Al

I bought a used pedersoli Mortimer flintlock back in '95 at a rendezvous for $500 which I thought high at them time. The seller was happy to sell and I had "chiseled" him down a bit over $200. When I got it home I found it was loaded with a sabot (in the breech) and three Pyro-pellets under a Lyman GP bullet and a broken off ramrod end and screw-bullet puller. I only found this after getting a metric zerk fitting and pumping the "load" out of the barrel. An endoscope showed no damage to the bore or breech. Thereafter I began shooting it with .535 round balls and Goex FFg. What a fantastic rifle! Extremely fast firing even in wet weather and accurate to boot. I have several custom flintlocks with both L&R, Chambers, and other custom locks but the Pedersoli is just as good, maybe a bit better. I get more than 100 shots from the tiny flints and a pinch of priming works every time.When I let others shoot this gun they nearly always ask where they can get one just like it. If I had any complaint it would be that is a .54 instead of a .50. Certainly a bit more down range punch but not a big selection in projectiles.

I had one. It was a beautiful rifle, but as has been noted, very muzzle heavy. I had the barrel shortened on mine, and it was better. For $1300, though, it would have to be perfect.

I bought one of these last November .It's the target model , rifles identical to this have won the world muzzleloading championships . You can buy and fit a Creedmore sight to the standard model if you wish .
I was amazed when I loaded mine for the first time , guestimated 70 grains of powder underneath a .535 ball and took aim with the hunting sight at the snapped off branch knot of a dead tree at 40 yards . The ball struck an inch low .
[It took many frustrating months of work and additional expense to get my Lyman GPR to shoot not nearly as good .]
The Pedersoli is a well made , accurate and reliable gun . It is muzzle heavy but it's primarily a target rifle and it is still better balanced than a .50 calibre GPR .
Pedersoli barrels are built to modern standards and are proofed and consequently will be thicker than the originals .
This is my second Pedersoli rifle and I am well pleased with both of them .They have made shooting fun again after the GPR shimozzle. .

My advise is to buy a new one unless you know the history of a used gun .

I picked up a second hand Target one for £300 a couple of months ago, they retail new for just under £1200 over here.

I am very impressed with the rifle, it is a tad on the heavy side if you were to carry it a lot and this is reflected in the provision of sling swivels, I don't find the muzzle heaviness a problem helps the rifle lie steady in the hand for me, the lock is fast, ignition reliable, accuracy seems very good and it definitely looks the part.

Very happy with the purchase, I would recommend a new one to anyone looking for a quality out of the box flinter and who doesn't want to go the extra for a bespoke gun.

Back