• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pedersoli/Lyman Great Plains Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To ebsails, frankie, longcruiser, and jaegermeister I would like to say you were RIGHT. I temporarily shimmed up the tang and the touch hole now sits pretty much in the sunset position as shown in the attached photograph. I need to do a little more work to make it permanent and make the tang and the barrel better aligned but that was the solution I was looking for-probably never would have thought of it myself. By the way, I know I buggered up the slot in the vent liner but it was really tight, and I will touch it up with a stone to make it all pretty and smooth. Thanks guys.
View attachment 133808
I am really happy for youl. Now when you shoot it it will be a lot more enjoyable, more confidence. Looks great to me.

Yay! That looks much better. Make sure you shim the barrel flush with the breech.
Will do.
Might be time for some Acraglas bedding. Nobody will know except you and your closest friends. Or rebuild breech end of stock with strips of wood and re-inlet. With just some wood shims there will be gaps behind the breech plug and under the barrel.
Might be time for some Acraglas bedding. Nobody will know except you and your closest friends. Or rebuild breech end of stock with strips of wood and re-inlet. With just some wood shims there will be gaps behind the breech plug and under the barrel.
The barrel is now sitting about 1/16 inch up in the air above the inletting in the barrel channel. I just checked and I have plenty of Acraglas gel on hand so that is the way I will go. I have had to use it before on my kit builds and it always does the trick. I am always a little nervous until I get the parts separated after bedding but never a real problem so far. The tang will need bedding as well since it now "floats" some too. Should be rock steady when completed even if not exactly period correct. Thanks for your input.

Will do.

The barrel is now sitting about 1/16 inch up in the air above the inletting in the barrel channel. I just checked and I have plenty of Acraglas gel on hand so that is the way I will go. I have had to use it before on my kit builds and it always does the trick. I am always a little nervous until I get the parts separated after bedding but never a real problem so far. The tang will need bedding as well since it now "floats" some too. Should be rock steady when completed even if not exactly period correct. Thanks for your input.
Lsb. If for some reason after the acra glass is dry and sticks to the metal, just put it in your freezer for over night. The next day it should separate easily. It works every time.

Lsb. If for some reason after the acra glass is dry and sticks to the metal, just put it in your freezer for over night. The next day it should separate easily. It works every time.
Johnson Paste Wax or Kiwi Shoe Polish on the metal will keep Acraglas from holding on. And then there is the supplied release agent, that works too.

Try assembling everything without shimming the barrel up, and take it out and test fire it to see how it performs. I think you will find that it works fine.

Never mind. When I first looked at it, I thought the vent hole was into the edge of the pan (top arrow).
Now I see the vent is above the bottom of the pan (bottom arrow) - you should be OK.
As duca already pointed out, you can also make the pan a little deeper.

View attachment 132884
How would you suggest one make the pan deeper and/or wider?

I bought one of Tracks replacement nylon rods...mine was shiny black. It suffices, but is very flexible. I would prefer fiberglass or something else stiffer.....and it certainly stands out.

Latest posts

Back