• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Lock slipping

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings – picked up a "used" Pedersoli pistol and without even getting it out noticed a very very light trigger. So much that sometimes when pulling back to full cock it slips right away!

I must admit, new to BP – and I love it! Past that quite adequate with the unmentionables and tools.

Sadly, I don’t know what all the nomenclature around the lock is, so not sure if the next step is to work on a better/deeper step on the cog driven by the cock or the front of the lever engaged by the trigger that comes in contact with the cog?

Or get this to someone who really knows what they are doing or trash the lock and then need a recommendation on a decent one?

Thanks in advance,

Brian

20230510_230011.jpg
20230510_224531.jpg
20230510_224415.jpg

Outstanding DuncNZ! Saving this!

So do I work on the notch in the tumbler or the sear? Sear locks up nicely in half-cock.

Thanks - Brian

P.S. - I am a BSA Roundtable commissioner and hosting Son's of the American Revolution for their scouting outreach tomorrow, I just might as their reps too!

Bruce, it is possible that the trigger group is inlet to deep and the trigger arm is crowding the Sear. i wouldn't start altering the sear notches
until checking that out.
easy check is to reassemble the lock and shem the trigger group so it rides further out.
by the way, that little tiny piece that isn't shown or named in the picture is the fly. it can, in your case, only be assembled one way.
good luck. don't despair, that is a decent lock.

Since you have the lock out of the lock mortise, the lock can be checked to see if it can hold at full cock. Pull the hammer to full cock. Does it hold? It does not appear from the picture of your lock parts that there is a sear adjustment screw, so, I am not going to describe that. If it does hold and the notches in the tumbler picture appear to be deep enough, then it is time to check the engagement of the trigger lever. Is there an adjustment screw for the trigger lever? If it's a single trigger and not a single set trigger, then it is likely that the trigger plate is inlet too deep in the trigger plate mortise and the trigger lever is interfering with the sear lever. With the lock installed, push the trigger forward and cock the lock. Does it remain in full cock? If it does hold in full cock, then the trigger is inlet too deep and a ship will need to be installed in the trigger mortise.

The first thing to do is to order a mainspring vise to remove the mainspring. If something slips, that spring can shoot the tumbler across the room or puncture a finger.

Grenadier offers good advice. If it works outside of the gun, then the issue is with the fit once the lock is installed. I am not familiar with Pedersoli pistol locks but to me it looks like that sear is very short. Maybe been worked on?

Grenadier offers good advice. If it works outside of the gun, then the issue is with the fit once the lock is installed. I am not familiar with Pedersoli pistol locks but to me it looks like that sear is very short. Maybe been worked on?
+1. Check the lock outside of the stock for function.

Hmmm.... I see a "fly" in one of the pictures which indicates this may have a set trigger. Also looks like maybe grease around the tumbler? Grease should not be used on the internals, just lubricating oil. If that fly is not free to move it could be impeding the full cock.

Often manufacturers only make one style of lock for all the set trigger and not set trigger firearms. It doesn't harm the function of a firearm that doesn't have a set trigger. The fly has the locating protrusion/axle so it can't be installed backwards, and the fly is designed to only cover the half cock notch after the lock has been brought to full cock.

Also, a lot of scarring on that lock plate. it would not hurt to polish all the surfaces that rub against it. And as suggested, you may need a mainspring vice to fully disassemble that lock. If you are careful, a vice grips may be used, but that's when things happen. Like the spring goes flying off into oblivion or you break it.

Thanks all for your input. The lock does not hold at full cock removed from the pistol. That rules out the trigger depth...

Broken sear makes sense as the tip is a bit rough.

Now to contact Pedersoli! And where do I find a mainspring vice?

Back