• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pedersoli Kodiak Express III .58 X .58

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello ALL

I'm a new (second-hand) owner. The gun appears to have never been fired and in almost new condition. I was searching the Internet and this Forum looking for others shooting experience, loads, bullets/balls sizes, etc. Found some good information that was posted a number of years ago. So I thought I would start this Thread in the hopes of receiving some additional, more recent information from others experience. The gun looks like it will be fun once sighted in. But sighting in both barrels to hit at/near the POA looks to be a challenge.
I understand that the barrels are not "fully" regulated. Thus the need for two rear sights. But some initial observations and questions:

BARRELS: The original specs show they are 7 groove rifling cut about 6 thousands deep. That would seem more inclined for use with PRB than conical bullets. Unless maybe the conical has an extra thick skirt (?) Some say they had better accuracy with PRB. Others say they had good luck with .577 conical bullets. It would sure be fun to shoot the heavier conical bullets - if accurate. Any bullet recommendations ?

REAR SIGHTS: I've read where some have replaced the two rear sights with a single flip-up (25/50/75) sight used on the Pedersoli 45/70 Kodiak version with good results. Of course that gun may have more fully regulated barrels at that price (?) Has anyone attempted this ?

What I would "like" to do is mount a single rear sight (not peep) per above and shoot the heavier conical bullets. I'm guessing you would need a snug fit conical to keep the bullet from sliding forward during carry or from recoil after one barrel is fired (?)

Any suggestions/opinions most appreciated. Thanks, Rick

I have a double 50, and recoil may unseat the minie.
Minie first, patched round ball second.
You will have to play with charges and projectiles to get target regulation.
Standard is rear trigger first.

You will likely find that the regulation is much better than you might expect. Just don't expect minute of an angle at 100yds. Big bore double rifles were fight stopping rifles and the British standard was four shots two right and two left in four inches at 50 meters. I have owned two 50 cal Kodiaks and a 45/70 version over the years and all three could match that standard using the same sight for both barrels. I think I would stick with round ball for the 58.
One other thing you do not shoot double rifles or shotguns for that matter while bladed to the target. You face the target straight on. This is important.

I own the .72 I've shot the 1000 grain conical out to about 40 yards I double checked to see if the conical creeped forward I could not detect any movement I now just use patched roundballs surprisingly my barrels are regulated pretty good within 2 inches at 50 yards. I don't hunt long range about 25 yards for hogs. You may be lucky how well both barrels shoot

The two rear sights can be used one for each barrel, but their real purpose is to be sighted for two different yardage zeros. Regulating the barrels can be done by sighting one in with a load that shoots well, then "adjusting" the load (if necessary) in the other barrel to bring POI closer together. Getting within two to three inches @ 100 yards is exceptional & more than adequate for the ranges these guns are used at. Your Pedi 58 cal double, and I think you will find this to be true with most big double rifles, will shoot best with HEAVY conicals. I've never witnessed the second barrel load move under recoil from the first shot. Try the NOEXCUSES 535 grain bullets (they fit tight) over 75 to 80 grains of FFFg or FFg. That's enough "Thump" to drop any animal you care to shoot!! Good luck & let us know how things go.

Gentlemen: Thank you ALL for your replies. This gives me a starting point. I'll start with the existing rear sights and PRB and move on from there. That 6 thousands deep rifling sort of puts it in between the shallow groove minie ball and the deeper traditional rifling for PRB.
Hawkeye: Where can I get the bullets you mention above ?

Thanks again ALL for your comments. Much appreciated.

Rick

Just Google NoExcuses bullets. They are about half the cost of the TC Maxi-Hunter/Ball.

Just realized that I was thinking 54 cal on the No Excuses bullets, as they don't make a 58 cal. But, if you have a 50 or 54 they are very much worth a try. Sorry for the confusion!

You will likely find that the regulation is much better than you might expect. Just don't expect minute of an angle at 100yds. Big bore double rifles were fight stopping rifles and the British standard was four shots two right and two left in four inches at 50 meters. I have owned two 50 cal Kodiaks and a 45/70 version over the years and all three could match that standard using the same sight for both barrels. I think I would stick with round ball for the 58.
One other thing you do not shoot double rifles or shotguns for that matter while bladed to the target. You face the target straight on. This is important.
Didn't that stance during shooting require some cast off to the stock?
I doubt a Pedersoli comes with such cast.....mine never did.

Didn't that stance during shooting require some cast off to the stock?
I doubt a Pedersoli comes with such cast.....mine never did.
No it does not require cast off. The necessity for a straight on stance is due to the regulation so both barrels will shoot to the same point of aim. On a side by side the center line of the gun is between the barrels. On firing the left barrel the recoil of the gun is up and left and the recoil with the right barrel is up and right. A bladed stance creates significantly more resistance to recoil to the left barrel and less to the right. That's probably as clear as mud but think about it awhile.

No it does not require cast off. The necessity for a straight on stance is due to the regulation so both barrels will shoot to the same point of aim. On a side by side the center line of the gun is between the barrels. On firing the left barrel the recoil of the gun is up and left and the recoil with the right barrel is up and right. A bladed stance creates significantly more resistance to recoil to the left barrel and less to the right. That's probably as clear as mud but think about it awhile.
Please describe " bladed".

Hmmm.... I never seemed to have that issue with a double, no matter how I hold it.
Maybe I just shoulder up a little tighter than the wimp that does have that problem and the projectile is on it's way before significant movement takes place.

I had a quick look regarding shouldering a double rifle and saw nothing special at all!
I'll put this link up but if it is disagreeable then please remove it but it does seem the fellow shooting is doing ok with a normal stance!
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

EDIT:
I objected to it as watching a guy shoot an expensive double barrel rifle and reload it several times added nothing to the forum and violated the forum rules about cartridge guns. Therefore, I removed the link.
Zonie

Last edited by a moderator:
Over the years I have owned several double rifles and many double shotguns. I have studied them extensively. I was trying to be helpful to a forum member. Sorry for wasting the time of those who know so much more.

Over the years I have owned several double rifles and many double shotguns. I have studied them extensively. I was trying to be helpful to a forum member. Sorry for wasting the time of those who know so much more.
LOL, no I do not see anything wrong with your advice. It was a simple observation on my part. I have shot competitively and currently shoot many types of guns, including PRS out to 1K. The "textbook" holds written by professional shooters reflect the holds that THEY do best with. And all agree that the best hold is the one that works the best for that specific individual. For some and the way they hold a double may indeed work better for them because they can't\don't get a good grip on the gun and hold it tight enough into the shoulder. It may also be that they don't have enough body mass to control the recoil. It may also be any number of factors that that particular individual has occurring with his shooting. It's that same old thing, tell someone it can't be done, and then watch it get done.

LOL, no I do not see anything wrong with your advice. It was a simple observation on my part. I have shot competitively and currently shoot many types of guns, including PRS out to 1K. The "textbook" holds written by professional shooters reflect the holds that THEY do best with. And all agree that the best hold is the one that works the best for that specific individual. For some and the way they hold a double may indeed work better for them because they can't\don't get a good grip on the gun and hold it tight enough into the shoulder. It may also be that they don't have enough body mass to control the recoil. It may also be any number of factors that that particular individual has occurring with his shooting. It's that same old thing, tell someone it can't be done, and then watch it get done.
With a rifle or shotgun that has a single barrel or an over/under you are correct as the line of recoil is along the centerline of the gun so shooting position has little effect. Here I would agree that whatever works best for the shooter is the way to go. With side by sides the line of recoil is either left or right of center line of the gun. There is a reason barrels of side by sides converge towards the muzzle.

Back