• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pedersoli Kodiak .72 question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreglerD

58 Cal.
Reaction score
A shooting college of mine has a kal .72 Kodiak double barrel rifle from Pedersoli. He says that he thought it will not burn all the powder (150grs) so he tries 777 or pyrodex. does anyone have expiriences with a starting load?

Thanks for any advice.

Here you can find Pedersoli load data.
Recommended load is 90gr, max load is 120gr of CH3 for Safari Express rifle.
[url] http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/pdf/BlackPowderLoads.pdf[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
How about the old standby of 1 grain per caliber, then work it up from there?

I got to handle one of these rifles at Cabela's. Quite heavy, but very well balanced. If the hunting laws allowed it, I would like to have that extra barrel for a quick follow-up shot for something like elk or bear. In my opinion a .72 cal rifle is a little bit of overkill for a whitetail deer. Like an 8 ga. shotgun for instance.

Dave

Kirrmeister, I shot a .58 Kodiak last year. The owner loads it up with 110gr of FFg Wano. Kicks like a mule but it does the job.

I can have a occasion for a .50 double barrel, percussion, made in Spain. The twist is for PRB and conicals. Perhaps I'll take it. But first I'll have a look at it.

We have tested the .72 Kodiak with loads from 80gr to 185gr.
On the .715 Round Ball 545gr, 80gr to 120gr FFg works fine. But distance is limited to 75 yards. After that it falls like a rock.

We developed a 770gr Conical that works very well and have a little more momentum. Starting load is about 100gr. It is pleasant to shoot at 130-140gr and gives good results. At 165gr FFg it speaks with authority on the shoulder and at 185gr, unpleasant :nono:

I will consider 165gr on the 770gr conical as my max. When I mentioned this load to Pierangelo Pedersoli he lifted his eyes to the hills. He feels it is too heavy for his guns.

Animals from Impala to Cape Buffalo have been cleanly harvested with the .72 Kodiak. Superb Gun :thumbsup:

The shooting college said his Kodiak .72 wouldn't work with PRB. He uses casted slugs in a plastic shot cup, but I think that is more for smoothbore guns. The twist seems ideal for PRB and conicals.

:grin: I have a .72 Kodiak and shoot PRB with 120gr of FFg. I eliminated the double sight and replaced it with a fixed rear sight, it shoots both barrels into the same point of impact at 75-100 yards. Only complaint that I have is it is far heavier than necessary. I use it here on the Oregon coast for bears so I don't have to carry it very far. The PRB will penetrate fully on any angle through most bears.
A .50 or .58 would be less weight and plenty of power with conicals or Prb and shoot a bit flatter. :applause:

I had a chance at a .58 for agood price but the barrel twist was 1/28 to fast for PRB. what twist rate is on the .72. F.K.

Fisher king, please check again on the twist of that .58 because it should be 1-47/48" which is fine for Round Balls and Conicals. We tried both and they work very well.

Kirrmeister said:
Where can I get those conicals and for which price?
Kirrmeister, I will gladly try to help you with conicals or a custom mold. Send me an email. I will try to post photos of the conical tomorrow. I can buy the mold for you here, they are about 100 euros.

Mabe they still have it . It was forsale for about 650.00CNDN. the only thing it was missing was the ramrod. But they told me at the store it was a 1/28 the father who owns the store has one and he told me it was 1/28. But people make mistakes. F.K.

MercerLake said:
:grin: I have a .72 Kodiak and shoot PRB with 120gr of FFg. I eliminated the double sight and replaced it with a fixed rear sight, it shoots both barrels into the same point of impact at 75-100 yards. Only complaint that I have is it is far heavier than necessary. I use it here on the Oregon coast for bears so I don't have to carry it very far. The PRB will penetrate fully on any angle through most bears.
A .50 or .58 would be less weight and plenty of power with conicals or Prb and shoot a bit flatter. :applause:
MercerLake, you will be happy to learn that we spoke to Pedersoli about the backsight. He listened and designed an 3 leaf true express sight to replace the existing sight on your gun :applause:
The .50 and .54 is in fact heavier than the .72 because of the longer barrel and more metal.
The .58 is lighter in weight but feels heavier in the shoulder because it is front heavy. The .72 have a step in the barrel that shifts the wait to the rear. This makes the .72 the best balanced of the 4 calibers.
The .50 is incredibly accurate (even over longer distances) because of the longer heavy barrel.

I too would be interested in your 770 grains and if you know where those replacement back sights can be had....

Christiaan,
Don't do it! Kirrmeister is already a proven killer with a .50 cal.!!! What in the world is he going to shoot with a .72 cal.? The moon? :rotf: Dirk, I'm keeping my head down :v

fisher king said:
Mabe they still have it . It was forsale for about 650.00CNDN. the only thing it was missing was the ramrod. But they told me at the store it was a 1/28 the father who owns the store has one and he told me it was 1/28. But people make mistakes. F.K.

Bring a rod, jag, and patch a see for yourself? Will give you an idea of condition of bore(s) too.

No rod would make me suspect as then you cannot see for yourself as I mentioned above :confused:

If it is 1:28 two heavy conicals (500-800 gr) would make it a devistaing bear gun. Who says you can't get a quick follow up with a MZ?

The first production samples of the sight will be available within two months. When it will be on your side of the big pond I do not know.

What are the prices for the Kodiak in SA? As I can see in the USA they are pretty priceworth, about $900,-/€ 650,-. In GE we pay about € 900-1000,-.

Latest posts

Back