• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Kodiak .58

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So my wife was very kind and most tolerable when I said "ya know I would really like this"
and she said "well go ahead."
It is a Pedersoli Kodiak .58 caliber double and a matching set of 20 gauge smooth bore barrels in a fitted case with sling and wooden ramrods along with an aftermarket ramrod that appears to be fiberglass.
It was indicated that it had never been fired and I believe that to be true.
This site and its membership have provided me with so much information to read and take in that I feel good about taking it out and working up good loads to hunt with.
Any tips or advice please feel free.
20200714_194021.jpg
20200714_194013.jpg
20200714_193911.jpg

So my wife was very kind and most tolerable when I said "ya know I would really like this"
and she said "well go ahead."
It is a Pedersoli Kodiak .58 caliber double and a matching set of 20 gauge smooth bore barrels in a fitted case with sling and wooden ramrods along with an aftermarket ramrod that appears to be fiberglass.
It was indicated that it had never been fired and I believe that to be true.
This site and its membership have provided me with so much information to read and take in that I feel good about taking it out and working up good loads to hunt with.
Any tips or advice please feel free.
View attachment 36888View attachment 36889View attachment 36890
Nice, it's your wife that I'm really impressed with! You done good there sir apart from the fine arm purchase.

Ah
Double rifles are much harder than a single barrel.
Essentially you need to develop "regulated loads" meaning one set of sights for two barrels putting the bullet from each at the samish point of impact at a set distance.
The Pedersoli Kodiak is factory regulated to shoot within 6 inches at 50 yards but this is done via laser sighting not trial and error. So no regulated load is given.

As you have 2 back sights you can sight each barrel to a different sight. But no fun in that.

Regulating doubles is a big subject so I will have to condense.
Set a big target at 50yards. If you cant hit this move closer.
Go through the normal charge development BUT, using lipstick, colour the left bullet seperate from the right. This way you can see which hole is which.
You will find that as charges increase the barrel will shoot lower and to the side opposite it is on. so the left barrel will drop right.
I think this is right????
You will soon find out

LB too slow_______________RB too slow
......................LB RB................. <------ just right
RB too fast______________LB too fast

Hopefully you will find a combination that will work in both barrels but you may need a different load for each barrel.

If you dont want to do this then figure out which barrel is the most accurate and sight in for this load and barrel and use Kentucky windage for the other.

Hope this helps

Ah
Double rifles are much harder than a single barrel.
Essentially you need to develop "regulated loads" meaning one set of sights for two barrels putting the bullet from each at the samish point of impact at a set distance.
The Pedersoli Kodiak is factory regulated to shoot within 6 inches at 50 yards but this is done via laser sighting not trial and error. So no regulated load is given.

As you have 2 back sights you can sight each barrel to a different sight. But no fun in that.

Regulating doubles is a big subject so I will have to condense.
Set a big target at 50yards. If you cant hit this move closer.
Go through the normal charge development BUT, using lipstick, colour the left bullet seperate from the right. This way you can see which hole is which.
You will find that as charges increase the barrel will shoot lower and to the side opposite it is on. so the left barrel will drop right.
I think this is right????
You will soon find out

LB too slow_______________RB too slow
......................LB RB................. <------ just right
RB too fast______________LB too fast

Hopefully you will find a combination that will work in both barrels but you may need a different load for each barrel.

If you dont want to do this then figure out which barrel is the most accurate and sight in for this load and barrel and use Kentucky windage for the other.

Hope this helps
Thank you very much for the advice it is certain to be followed.
I have a lot to learn but suspect it will frustrating at times but enjoyable.
There was a hope between the wife and I that someone who knows well more than I reference double guns could get us started in a good manner.
That certainly appears to be the case here.

Thank you very much for the advice it is certain to be followed.
I have a lot to learn but suspect it will frustrating at times but enjoyable.
There was a hope between the wife and I that someone who knows well more than I reference double guns could get us started in a good manner.
That certainly appears to be the case here.
Hi,
You are a very fortunate man!
A set such as you have ( not referring to your wife, although she is special ) is a desire of most gun owners. A double rifle and matching shotgun barrels in a beautiful leather bound case. That is something you rarely see in England or Germany and only for the wealthy.
My older ( 1978 vintage ) Pedersoli double .58 shot best with 80 grains of 2F in the left barrel and 90 grains of 2F in the right. This older Pedersoli had only one rear sight.
It shoots best with .570 round ball with olive oil & bees wax patched lube. Shooting big minie bullets was a waste of time, and recoil was no fun.
Your double shot gun should shoot best with a square load ( same volume of powder as shot ) about 90 grains of 2F with the same volume of shot. Your load should penetrate both sides of a bean or soup can at forty yards.
To get the best patterns, I suggest a shot cup for the shot.
You can use plastic shot cups, but some cups leave melted plastic residue in the barrels. You can easily make cardboard shot cups, pre-loaded with shot with a card lightly glued atop, it will make shooting much faster and convenient.
A good short starter about six inches speeds loading and prevents ramrod breakage.
May I suggest you make up or get a good quality hickory ramrod. It will last you for years.
As mentioned you are very fortunate with your wife, mine hates guns, no way, no how will she even look at one.
To be honest she will passingly look at one "IF" I made it.
So from all of us, give your lovely wife an appreciated hug, she's a keeper.
Best regards!
Fred

Hi,
You are a very fortunate man!
A set such as you have ( not referring to your wife, although she is special ) is a desire of most gun owners. A double rifle and matching shotgun barrels in a beautiful leather bound case. That is something you rarely see in England or Germany and only for the wealthy.
My older ( 1978 vintage ) Pedersoli double .58 shot best with 80 grains of 2F in the left barrel and 90 grains of 2F in the right. This older Pedersoli had only one rear sight.
It shoots best with .570 round ball with olive oil & bees wax patched lube. Shooting big minie bullets was a waste of time, and recoil was no fun.
Your double shot gun should shoot best with a square load ( same volume of powder as shot ) about 90 grains of 2F with the same volume of shot. Your load should penetrate both sides of a bean or soup can at forty yards.
To get the best patterns, I suggest a shot cup for the shot.
You can use plastic shot cups, but some cups leave melted plastic residue in the barrels. You can easily make cardboard shot cups, pre-loaded with shot with a card lightly glued atop, it will make shooting much faster and convenient.
A good short starter about six inches speeds loading and prevents ramrod breakage.
May I suggest you make up or get a good quality hickory ramrod. It will last you for years.
As mentioned you are very fortunate with your wife, mine hates guns, no way, no how will she even look at one.
To be honest she will passingly look at one "IF" I made it.
So from all of us, give your lovely wife an appreciated hug, she's a keeper.
Best regards!
Fred
Thank you so much for the very kind words reference my without argument better half.
She is rather into various weapons platforms as well.
She shot her first muzzleloader ever last week and seemed to rather enjoy it.
Whether it is a modern weapon or muzzleloader she is always on the watch to see if anything is interesting.
I more than i can convey appreciate her.
The load info is very much appreciated as well, this is my first foray into double rifles especially black powder ones so I am apprehensive and excited but also willing to admit this is an area I know very little about and welcome any and all help.
I have looked aggressively for a club or group locally but have had little success finding much. The search will continue.

My finance plans to carry....she is that pro-gun! :)

I've waited till age 45 to marry though.....no way would I willingly marry an anti gun woman. I won't even go on a date with one.

Pretty neat on the double rifle. Hope you enjoy it greatly.

My finance plans to carry....she is that pro-gun! :)

I've waited till age 45 to marry though.....no way would I willingly marry an anti gun woman. I won't even go on a date with one.

Pretty neat on the double rifle. Hope you enjoy it greatly.
That sir is to be commended, a man that stands to his principles.
Fortune and G-d smiled upon me with my wife.
Very pro gun, shoots competitively and hunts every year for 26 years with me and never misses a chance to try a new area of shooting sports.
Oh yeah I don't argue her as she has carried for twenty years now.

Hello again Glock21,
If you post your general location or better yet post an ad in General Muzzleloading requesting information on a local shooting club, I'm sure you will get several responses.
We have a great club here in Prescott, Ontario
Fred
Thank you for such a great response and idea.
Oddly enough I never thought to post here as I just assumed everyone is far away.
To start here I am in Livingston County, Michigan 48353.

Thank you once again,
Ron

Last edited:
Back