• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pedersoli Kodiak 54 cal... What size ball or bullet?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docdox

32 Cal
Reaction score
I bought a new Pedersoli Kodiak 54 cal and cannot find any information on what actual size ball or bullet it fires. I am getting geared up for our new Montana Primative hunting season and want to take my new girl on a date to the shooting range. I have some speer .53 balls that I would imagine would work. And I have some Montana Precision Swaging Cast Bullets 54 Caliber (542 diameter) 475 Grain bullets. Hoping these will work in my gun....
Also any info on charges. I have a pound of Pyrodex and a pound of Triple 7.

Do a search for Kodiak rifles, there are about 5 pages of information from a couple of years ago, interesting comments.

I recommend that you get a digital vernier caliper that can do the inside measurements. Measuring is the best way to determine the initial size for the ball or conical bullet you will need for your rifle. If you have an even number of lands, measure the land-to-land diameter at the muzzle. Subtract 0.010" from that measurement. Use 0.015" 100% patch material for the patches for round balls. Use an oil based lubricant for the patches in your hunting load. Or simply use the 0.530" diameter balls. If you can reliably hit a 7" paper plate at 50 yards, then limit your shots on deer sized game to 50 yards.

There’s a fella on here named Africa58double. I believe he could recommend some proven loads, was just in a DM chat with him regarding bullet molds, and he seemed like he had quite a bit of experience with the pedersoli kodiaks

I bought a new Pedersoli Kodiak 54 cal and cannot find any information on what actual size ball or bullet it fires. I am getting geared up for our new Montana Primative hunting season and want to take my new girl on a date to the shooting range. I have some speer .53 balls that I would imagine would work. And I have some Montana Precision Swaging Cast Bullets 54 Caliber (542 diameter) 475 Grain bullets. Hoping these will work in my gun....
Also any info on charges. I have a pound of Pyrodex and a pound of Triple 7.
I’m going to hunt the muzzleloader season too. I have a T/C Hawken in 54 caliber, and I’m looking at the Kodak in 50 caliber. I planning to hunt deer from the 10th to the 18th. I’m using 410 grain maxi balls from a T/C maxi ball mold. It’s hard to find 54 caliber conical bullets like the maxi balls. Never tried round balls. Good luck with your hunt. I’d be interested in knowing how it goes.

I’m going to hunt the muzzleloader season too. I have a T/C Hawken in 54 caliber, and I’m looking at the Kodak in 50 caliber. I planning to hunt deer from the 10th to the 18th. I’m using 410 grain maxi balls from a T/C maxi ball mold. It’s hard to find 54 caliber conical bullets like the maxi balls. Never tried round balls. Good luck with your hunt. I’d be interested in knowing how it goes.
I bought some 54 cal bullets from Midway that are 480gr and .542 diameter (I didnt know they were .542). I talked to the owner of the company in Butte and he suggested using sanding paper to "thin them down". I did by putting a 44 mag brass into my drill and using it to hold the bullet as I pushed up against my chest freezer. I spun the bullets and held 120 grit sand paper to thin it down. I got them down to .535 and re-lubed them. Looking forward to slinging them at paper to see how they fly......

@docdox,

I took a look on the Pedersoli web site to see what they recommend for the Kodiak Rifle. The bullet code specifies a 0.535" round ball.

https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/en/product/kodiak-express-mk-iii
I would be somewhat leery of a sanded down bullet at it may not be perfectly round. It does seem from your post that you are trying to spin the bullet as you are sanding down the diameter. I would also be leery of gas cutting. Paper patching with thin onion skin paper might get the bullet to fit the bore better.

Of course, using the 0.535" ball with 0.015" patching lubed with Mink Oil sould be more than adequaate for your Montana hunting needs.

Last edited:
Back