• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pedersoli kits - Comments on quality etc.?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Title says it all...any thoughts?

Thanks.
Did you have a particular kit in mind?

I built one of their Kentucky Flint pistols a while ago. They were more reasonably priced then than now. I have no complaints about it. Shoots dependently and looks decent.

But I’ve only built 3 kits. When completed, my SMR will be 4th. So my experience is limiting.

Any kit is going to be only as good as the amount of attention and detail you as the assembler puts into it.
My case in point is the reputation of the older CVA's. They were marketed to the everyone regardless of ability or skill. There wasn't an internet and gun building information wasn't as widely available. The poor quality builds we see today are a result of that day and marketing.
Most kits are going to require your attention to detail and understanding of what is involved in assembling a quality piece.
Càp and ball did an excellent video on pedersoli's manufacturing plant, where they put in the detailing that makes them a quality firearm. If you are willing to pay that kind of attention you can to have a quality product.

I'm looking at the .50 Cal. Scout Carbine, percussion. Dixie Gun Works has them on stock.

I am a detailed person and have worked my share of wood and metal in my days on the Earth so I'm confident that I will be able to accomplish the task. Somewhere I saw the double rifle kit but it was more than I wanted to pay right now but it was tempting. Maybe once I have this one under my belt I'll spring for a double rifle kit.

I do surely want to personalize it but want to keep somewhat period with any customization. I saw finished Pedersolis for sale that had rubber recoil pads....No, not for me. As I have mentioned here before I work silver and pewter in both jewelry, silversmithing and pewtering. I would want to add some metalworking accents to it, tastefully of course.

Thanks for the replies they seem to be quite positive. I start my vacation from work on Saturday so if I could get one ordered up and delivered I'd have some time (I'm off until the New Year) to get it done.

I'm looking at the .50 Cal. Scout Carbine, percussion. Dixie Gun Works has them on stock.

I am a detailed person and have worked my share of wood and metal in my days on the Earth so I'm confident that I will be able to accomplish the task. Somewhere I saw the double rifle kit but it was more than I wanted to pay right now but it was tempting. Maybe once I have this one under my belt I'll spring for a double rifle kit.

I do surely want to personalize it but want to keep somewhat period with any customization. I saw finished Pedersolis for sale that had rubber recoil pads....No, not for me. As I have mentioned here before I work silver and pewter in both jewelry, silversmithing and pewtering. I would want to add some metalworking accents to it, tastefully of course.

Thanks for the replies they seem to be quite positive. I start my vacation from work on Saturday so if I could get one ordered up and delivered I'd have some time (I'm off until the New Year) to get it done.
I think you’ll be happy with that one.

No just take your time and enjoy the build. Partly assemble the rifle and confirm how each piece relates to the other. Take it apart and reassemble. Find a comfortable space where you can walk away and leave it with having to worry.

Bought the Pedersoli Indian Trade Musket and it was more than I expected in a kit. Here is a link to a previous post.

Pedersoli Indian Trade Gun Kit from start to finish
I checked out your post and the link to your photo page, thank you, that gives me insight as to just how much work has to be accomplished.

The original finish on the barrel, was that hot blued from the factory? I had read somewhere that the barrel comes with some kind of finish to keep it from rusting but the person who said that also said that it was not a hot blu finish. Can you enlighten me?

I've purchased two Pedersoli kits over the past few months, both Indian Trade Guns. The quality is certainly there and I highly recommend them. It's the little things-and this is my OCD kicking in (yours may vary) -that make me crazy. Both had big blobs of solder left on the barrel from front sight install. One breech plug was installed beautifully, the other not quite so. One came with a big bag of brass tacks, the other, no tacks. The included bag of extra screws and bolts varied between the kits. Their brass serpent side plate, while nicely finished, is completely wrong. And please, Pedersoli, don't mount them. Let the customer decide whether they want it on there (or a more historically proper looking one). The serial numbers on my kit guns are twenty two units apart, so made close to the same time frame. Trivial quibbles, yes. And if you weren't to do a side by side comparison, you'd never know. I look at the Pedersoli kits as high quality blank slates, ready for your personal touch. I am very pleased with the first one I finished, I expect the second to be the same (though a different configuration).

No just take your time and enjoy the build. Partly assemble the rifle and confirm how each piece relates to the other. Take it apart and reassemble. Find a comfortable space where you can walk away and leave it with having to worry.
Got ya, I know what you mean about walking away for awhile. I use the term, "sleep on it", when I am working on something I literally do that. Not that I take the piece to bed with me but I will bring it up from the shop and handle and look it over and the next day you often see things that you hadn't seen the night before. Though the body sleeps, the mind is at work.

I checked out your post and the link to your photo page, thank you, that gives me insight as to just how much work has to be accomplished.

The original finish on the barrel, was that hot blued from the factory? I had read somewhere that the barrel comes with some kind of finish to keep it from rusting but the person who said that also said that it was not a hot blu finish. Can you enlighten me?
I'm not sure exactly how they blued the barrel, but if the barrel had been fine finish, free of machine marks, it could have been left as is if one wanted a blued barrel. I used the Eagle One Chrome Wheel cleaner to strip off the bluing, which is a quick way to remove it. The cleaner will also remove the faux case color on the lock if you wish to go that far.

@Old-Duckman don’t make a race of it. Take your time and enjoy the process.
Good advice for sure. It's just that I am rather limited on time and when working a full time job and helping my 95 YO mother and taking her where she needs to go. Don't take that wrong, I don't want to see her pass and I am happy to be with her and help her but it does limit my time at times. So my vacation is a good time to take on projects. I have already promised a co-worker that I would make his wife a pair of chased sterling earrings with gold centers and I would like to make her a matching ring as well...though he doesn't know that I am planning the ring part.

So if I don't get it done, the firearm (providing I do order and get it in time) I won't sweat it or rush. Mom always used to say "Haste makes waste and waste makes want."

I'm not sure exactly how they blued the barrel, but if the barrel had been fine finish, free of machine marks, it could have been left as is if one wanted a blued barrel. I used the Eagle One Chrome Wheel cleaner to strip off the bluing, which is a quick way to remove it. The cleaner will also remove the faux case color on the lock if you wish to go that far.
So the barrel had a pretty rough finish (tool marks etc. ) under the original finish?

So the barrel had a pretty rough finish (tool marks etc. ) under the original finish?
Not what what I'd call rough, but very fine. I didn't have to draw file it, just used 150 - 240 grit sand paper, then browned the barred with Laurel Mtn Browning Solution for a nice even brown finish.

Thanks all. I bit the bullet and ordered the kit. Looking forward to its arrival.

I do like this forum. I belong to several forums for various interests and this is one of the best, if not the best.

And, black powder firearms seem to be rather addicting...I'm starting to think that I am hooked !!

Back