• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pedersoli Kentucky pistol.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got my delivery from DGW which included the new pistol. I was planning on ordering a kit later in the year but when making the order on the other things I saw that they had a complete pistol on sale for only 20 bucks more then the kit. The gun isn't bad for the price and throws a good spark. I'll probably strip the bluing and brown the barrel and the sights seem to be way to tall so I'll most likely replace them. Any suggestions on what type of sights to use would be welcomed. I've looked at what TOW has to offer and there are a bunch of choices.

Attachments

• IMGP0600.JPG
    IMGP0600.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 138
  • IMGP0601.JPG
    IMGP0601.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 133
Just file them down. I’d shoot it first to see what they’re like then remove the barrel from the stock and put it in a vice so you can control the file and make them the size and shape you think you need.

Just file them down. I’d shoot it first to see what they’re like then remove the barrel from the stock and put it in a vice so you can control the file and make them the size and shape you think you need.
I could do that but one issue with the sights mainly the front it's a patridge style and gets wider towards the base. When I carry and I will it would be in a sash and I'm certain that the front sight will hang up when removing it from the sash.

Personally, I would leave it blue. I like both blue and brown but if I don't need to finish a barrel, I'm not going to.
As far as the sight goes, you want to sight it in, work up your load and then file the sight down. I always do this at the range and have never had to take the barrel off and put it in a vise for this purpose. You can round off the back if you are concerned about it catching on your sash.

I assembled one of these from a kit. I'll say that it does tend to go through flints more rapidly than my rifle, and that seems to be a common complaint, but in my case the spring seems to have lightened up a bit after some use, and now it seems fine on that. I'm still honing my loads for this, switching between .530 and .535 balls (favor the latter so far), and using .010 or .015 patches. I'm shooting 3F powder in it, and still setting on the number of grains.

I haven't begun to work on filing the front site yet, as I'm still breaking in the barrel. I'll bring a file after I've put around 50 RB's through it, and then shave a little at a time. Currently though, at 25y, if I aim about 5" low, I can get close to the bullseye, and windage is about right.

I browned my barrel and I think it looks great!

This is the first factory finished muzzleloader I've ever bought mainly because the blued barrels and furniture just doesn't look right to me. Considering it was only 20 bucks more then the kit I figured I could always strip and brown the barrel.

I assembled one of these from a kit. I'll say that it does tend to go through flints more rapidly than my rifle, and that seems to be a common complaint, but in my case the spring seems to have lightened up a bit after some use, and now it seems fine on that. I'm still honing my loads for this, switching between .530 and .535 balls (favor the latter so far), and using .010 or .015 patches. I'm shooting 3F powder in it, and still setting on the number of grains.

I haven't begun to work on filing the front site yet, as I'm still breaking in the barrel. I'll bring a file after I've put around 50 RB's through it, and then shave a little at a time. Currently though, at 25y, if I aim about 5" low, I can get close to the bullseye, and windage is about right.

I browned my barrel and I think it looks great!
The one I just got is a .45 but later on this year I plan on getting a .54 because I have rifle in both those calibers.
Did yours come with a steel nosecap or did you darken the brass?

I assembled a kit in .54 and rust blackened the barrel. I replaced the sights with a brass front and lower profile rifle rear sight.

I modified the front of the stock by adding two 1/16” rods for more strength.
1C94ACD7-5331-4352-95E9-A0D76B502549.jpeg

Its a surprisingly accurate pistol, if I can get within 25 yards of a deer I’ll be giving it a try.
AF1D6EBE-F01D-4641-BEAA-D2FBA8EA7CE7.jpeg

-Jake

I assembled a kit in .54 and rust blackened the barrel. I replaced the sights with a brass front and lower profile rifle rear sight.

I modified the front of the stock by adding two 1/16” rods for more strength.
View attachment 60862

Its a surprisingly accurate pistol, if I can get within 25 yards of a deer I’ll be giving it a try.
View attachment 60861
-Jake
I did the same strengthening with mine after reading about the cap wood tang snapping off when fired. I used a couple of 4 penny finish nails cut off.

I did the same strengthening with mine after reading about the cap wood tang snapping off when fired. I used a couple of 4 penny finish nails cut off.

I figured it was a good idea after reading a few post about issues on several forums. My pistol prefers a .530 ball with .010 patch and 40gr of FFg. I easily have over 100 shots through it this year.

-Jake

I just got one of these kits also. I plan on filing the sights down and leaving the barrel blued. I will be using steel wool on the barrel to give it a gray finish.

The one I just got is a .45 but later on this year I plan on getting a .54 because I have rifle in both those calibers.
Did yours come with a steel nosecap or did you darken the brass?
Mine came with some sort of cast steel lookalike nose cap. Definitely not brass or brass colored. I was expecting brass but this is what came in. I browned it along with the barrel and I think it looks pretty good.

Be careful with the trigger guard if you get the kit one day. Mine didn’t fit and snapped at the slightest bend. I received a replacement from TOW that they bent to fit, and it was a bad pour with holes it it where the brass didn’t fill the mold. Third one was the charm..fit well and no pour defects.

Mine came with some sort of cast steel lookalike nose cap. Definitely not brass or brass colored. I was expecting brass but this is what came in. I browned it along with the barrel and I think it looks pretty good.
I guessing the nose cap difference might be between the .45 vs .54 but I'm not sure.

Back