• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pedersoli Kentucky Pistol Woes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are. M.

NC NMLRA Field Rep, NRA ML Instructor
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
So a buddy of mine made a little mint in crypto-funny-munny. As a way to absolve himself of any future cleaning/powder purchase/lead buying, I wound up with this .54 cal kit to match my Kibler Colonial.

This is my third kit build, so I feel like I have a good grasp on the subject.

Pay no mind to the roughed out carving. I may have gotten a little ahead of myself.

Theres about 1/32" gap between the back of the tang and the wood. If I remove any wood from anywhere nothing will line up. I'll probably fill this gap with sawdust and glue/epoxy.

There's an issue with the nose cap too. I'm not a fan of the design involving bolting the barrel through the cap. It works, but I'd rather pin the barrel in the stock or use a lug. I'm thinking of epoxying the cap in place and/or pinning it to the stock like the nosecaps on traditional rifles. I'll then fill the gap with sawdust and glue/epoxy. Has anyone run into an issue with fixing the nose cap to the stock in this fashion?

Theres a short laundry list of other things I'm not a fan of involving. These things involve the ramrod and ramrod accoutrement, and heavy springs for the frizzen and sear. Zonie (may he rest in perpetual light) has some great information on spring adjustment, btw. Already referenced that. No need to rehash here.

Maybe that Kibler kit spoiled me, but I feel like Pedersoli let me down in the quality department.

-RM

Attachments

• 20210906_092422.jpg
    20210906_092422.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 20210906_092414.jpg
    20210906_092414.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 55
Stay away from sawdust and epoxy, it will look bad no matter what you use for stain. Always leave a small gap behind the tang to prevent chipping the stock with recoil.

Didn't know about that tang business. Thanks. I probably won't be using stain on this walnut stock.

That gap looks a bit large to me. If you fill it with a bit of wood from the stock it will disappear after finishing. As long as the breech end of the barrel is well bedded to the stock, the barrel along with the tang, will not move and the tang will not damage the stock. Add clearance if you want, but look at the precise no clearance fit of many lollipop style tangs for example.

So I mixed up Tite Bond III and some curls from a scraper and wound up with this mess. I tapped the barrel down to squish it into the gap. Seems like it'll work.

I'll do the same thing once I get the nose cap epoxied to the stock. I want to stick it on and screw the barrel down. Can I apply paste wax the end of the barrel to make sure it releases from the epoxy? It's on hand and I hear it works for everything.

Attachments

• 20210906_195444.jpg
    20210906_195444.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 40

Latest posts

Back