• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pedersoli Kentucky Frontier Flintlock Customization Project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was considering calling her “Vesuvius”, a volcano located in Italy, lending a connection to its Italian mfg and since it’s a volcano thought it appropriate since both are powerful, noisey, spit fire, ash and smoke, lol. Kinda leaning this way!

Maybe “Vesuvius” it is!

That walnut just pops in the sunlight.
EBB718DA-B98D-482F-9509-20B9957E4E62.jpeg

To finish off the rifle and correct for perfect balance I ended up drilling 3) 1/2” holes in the butt stock and added 12) .50 cal 178 grain balls each, 4 to a hole for a total of 2,136 grains / 437.5 gr per ounce = 4.88 oz. Each ball was glued into position then followed with some walnut plugs I had lying around. The rifle now balances perfectly in the hand where I hold. It raises and shoulders perfectly and since I contoured the check rest the sights come into perfect alignment immediately as soon as my check welds to the stock without having to move my head at all. The rifle now easily remains steady on target without having to fight it being quite nose heavy. That is very satisfying and didn’t realize just how much it was fighting me as I just became used to it. This quick, easy mod should help improve accuracy by acquiring the target sight picture more quickly and being able to hold more steady in my mind. Recoil may also be reduced slightly but it doesn’t really kick using 70’ish grains anyway. The rifle now weighs in at 8.25 lbs.

Another passion of mine, hence my desire for the star and moon inlays!

E178EE3F-08ED-4004-BC86-400475918E6C.jpeg
93836B55-713F-4232-9E85-990342078178.jpeg
471490D5-369D-47D4-B40D-ACDAE65F244E.jpeg

Last edited:
One quick final project dressing up the muzzle end. Took less than 30 min. Just put the punch/ramrod jig back in for reference. Barrel was removed when I did this. Went slow with same number of “light” taps for each divet, no need to pound it. Basically 10 light taps each divet going around 4 times. Pic doesn’t show the pencil scribe lines going across and this has been filed flat and finish sanded with 400 grit.
F387948A-8E72-42A9-B29D-A0A918001D1E.jpeg
9C5FFE78-F120-4548-B3C1-5D9068350DE1.jpeg

Last edited:
CG

Excellent work! You really did a wonderful job. :thumb: It's amazing what a small $ investment and some pleasurable elbow grease time can turn these production rifles into.

Glad my rebuild effort put you on the path to complete your own custom rebuild. You'll enjoy that gun for many years to come. I've been amazed that thousands of views of my Flickr album have accumulated over the years.

Thank You Spikebuck, that means a lot considering the excellent job you did on your beautiful rebuild! You’re right it really was a small investment in parts at less than $100. I enjoyed every hour working on it. The end result was a very personalized, customized rifle in my eyes and was a great learning experience for when I do finally build a rifle. A very satisfying project indeed that I couldn’t be happier with! Not to mention it feels incredible in the hand now and balances and mounts perfectly.

Thanks again for your post, it really was inspiring and with excellent pics! I know i’m responsible for at least a couple hundred views!!!😂

Latest posts

Back