• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Jäger or Kibler SMR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greasy_Jesus

32 Cal
Reaction score
I stopped into a local gun and pawn shop and there were about 12 Pedersoli Muzzleloaders on the rack. 3 of them were brand new with the box so I looked them over. Two of them took my fancy. One is a Jäger Hunter and one is a Jäger Target. They both felt really good up on my shoulder and were quite handy with a 31" barrel. They are both new in box, .54 caliber, flintlock rifles. The only difference being sights, one has the target sights where it is a front post with a bead on top and the option of a rear vernier sight and the other is just a front blade sight no vernier. That being said they are pricy as are most Pedersoli products. Are they reliable rifles ? I currenty have a Tower Marked .48 cal rifle that I got from my grandfather when he passed but it is an old rifle and although it still got me a whitetail last week I dont want to continue using it as it is more like an heirloom to me than a firearm. The target model is $1100 and the hunter model is $900. I also saw a nice .45 cal on here that is cherry stocked and 46" barrel for $1600 and im torn between which one to buy. I was able to shoulder the Jägers and see them in person which wont be the case for the Kibler SMR. I do like the smaller caliber of .45 as I use .445 balls in my .48 and could simply use them in the Kibler or size them down to .440. The rifle also comes with 200 balls and patches. I wouldnt have to buy .54 balls and patches if I got the Jäger since I got some from my grandfather that he had left over after selling his T/C Hawkem about 6 years ago. I hunt in the state of Maryland and the smallest legal caliber is .40 with a 60gr charge. I will only be hunting white tails. Anyone got experience with the Jäger or the SMR when out hunting deer that might want to chime in on the subject. Thanks.

Last edited:
What do you want it for. The Jager is a generalized gun. A ‘based on’. It will be a shooter. Cap and Ball tv did great things with it. Historically you can use it as a military jagar though it’s not fully correct. It’s not a good civilian version
Kiebler is not an exact copy but hits all the points for an SMR and if you’re doing an historic setting it’s going to be right on for its time.
If you’re not into funny clothes and canvas tents then it’s a question of quality, the Kibler is tops there, looks, both are good looking, use each the same there. When you look at the blank spot in your gun storage area what do you want.

I had the chance to shoot a Pedersoli Jaeger flintlock and while it functioned fine, it just didn’t have that Jaeger feel or handle like one. Barrel heavy and very much on the wrong side of 8 pounds for Jaeger. Balanced and felt more like a barrel heavy full stock plains rifle. Only had chance to shoot conicals out of it and found it accurate. Believe the the straight vs swamped barrel was the real killer in how it handled. This from a guy who loves his bored out to 58 caliber short barreled T/Cs.

I have only had the opportunity to shoot one Kibler, and I loved the look, feel, balance and how it shot. One will be coming this way, just too many projects in the oven right now.

Depends on what you like. Short barrel Jaeger style, consider a well build one with a swamped barrel, maybe made from a TOW parts set, though there are other options. If you want a more graceful longer rifle, very difficult to beat a Kibler. Probably my first choice if I were looking for a gun to hunt whitetails in Maryland.

All that said, but what do YOU like. Your money, your gun.

Last edited:
Pedersoli builds a good rifle. I have a Pennsylvania flint that I love. You will pay a bit more for the Kibler but the quality is much higher. That's why I have a Kibler SMR too (not finished yet).

But as said, it's your money and your taste in rifles that should make the decision.

Depends on what you really want it for ? But to clear one statement up. The Kibler SMR is based off of an actual gun.
But if it were me I'd look at Kibler new woods runner kit. 39 inch barrel verse 44 inch on the Southern.
But then I like still hunting white tails and it just comes up quicker.
But you could buy both and then No problems....

HI greasy j, my personal choice (in the Northwest Mtns of NC) is the Kibler. I have shot and built several brands of rifles snd smoothbore since 1971. Lately i have limited my wall to several Kibler’s now and the first. CVA i built and modified for General Westmoreland. I am a proud disciple of Jim Kibler. The Product and the person are supremely reliable, honest to purpose, ethical in customer relations and his design leaves room for your careful and prayerful decision about historical heart and soul to be woven into the rifle. Commercial vs Art?

The Jaeger and the SMR seem like opposites to me.
The Ped Jag is a great rifle! Short, handy, and powerful. They feel thick and solid in your hand. It will "comfortably" shoot big bullets, sabots, as well as round balls. I think of stag, elk, and bear hunting trips. The patent breach is the worst part, as they'll plug-up and stop shooting if loads are reduced.

In comparison the SMR is really long, elegant, slender, and just feel small in your hand. The rifle makes you think of small game, deer, and maybe winning a few matches.
The Jaeger and the Colonial are much closer comparison.
No question about it, the Kiblers are a better rifle than anything Pedersoli puts out. And if you bend something on a Kibler, it'll be fixed in a week.. can't say the same about Pedersoli.

If you are using it for hunting I would buy the Pedersoli. Shorter barrel is quite handy and it is a great caliber. In my opinion the Pedersoli will be worth more in the future. Jim Kibler is a GREAT guy with top notch service and a fantastic product but he is selling so many of his kits that it will lower the value of them down the road.

I stopped into a local gun and pawn shop and there were about 12 Pedersoli Muzzleloaders on the rack. 3 of them were brand new with the box so I looked them over. Two of them took my fancy. One is a Jäger Hunter and one is a Jäger Target. They both felt really good up on my shoulder and were quite handy with a 31" barrel. They are both new in box, .54 caliber, flintlock rifles. The only difference being sights, one has the target sights where it is a front post with a bead on top and the option of a rear vernier sight and the other is just a front blade sight no vernier. That being said they are pricy as are most Pedersoli products. Are they reliable rifles ? I currenty have a Tower Marked .48 cal rifle that I got from my grandfather when he passed but it is an old rifle and although it still got me a whitetail last week I dont want to continue using it as it is more like an heirloom to me than a firearm. The target model is $1100 and the hunter model is $900. I also saw a nice .45 cal on here that is cherry stocked and 46" barrel for $1600 and im torn between which one to buy. I was able to shoulder the Jägers and see them in person which wont be the case for the Kibler SMR. I do like the smaller caliber of .45 as I use .445 balls in my .48 and could simply use them in the Kibler or size them down to .440. The rifle also comes with 200 balls and patches. I wouldnt have to buy .54 balls and patches if I got the Jäger since I got some from my grandfather that he had left over after selling his T/C Hawkem about 6 years ago. I hunt in the state of Maryland and the smallest legal caliber is .40 with a 60gr charge. I will only be hunting white tails. Anyone got experience with the Jäger or the SMR when out hunting deer that might want to chime in on the subject. Thanks.
We Marines have an old saying, "It's not the dope on the rifle, it's the dope behind it". The dope being your sight in. IMHO, Pedersoli is way overpriced for a mass manufactured gun. Price for price, I'd go custom every time. Semper Fi.

If you are using it for hunting I would buy the Pedersoli. Shorter barrel is quite handy and it is a great caliber. In my opinion the Pedersoli will be worth more in the future. Jim Kibler is a GREAT guy with top notch service and a fantastic product but he is selling so many of his kits that it will lower the value of them down the road.
Sorry to say, I disagree. Just look on Gunbroker or any on-line gun sales site. They are flooded with used factory ML's of all brands at low prices. There are Pedersoli's on there for a couple hundred dollars. Older CVA's and Traditions in good condition go for 150$. There are just too many out there to hold any value. Semper Fi.

thinkin that depends on the talent that put them together

Kibler all the way if you have the extra money. I have a .45 SMR that is the same vintage as the one you are looking at. Great shooter!

Back