• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Jäger Rifle, Any One Shoot one ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heelerau

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Gents, have a mate who is most interested in the above, but we do now have any of these rifles in stock here in Perth WA. Have any of you on this site got one, if so how well does it shoot with either REAL or patched round ball? Most interested if anyone has shot patched ball out of these rifles as they seem to have been really set up for a bullet and not a ball.

Cheers

Heelerau

I have fired one though I did not, nor do not, own one. It was the plain version in flintlock. It shot patched round ball well, with 55 grains of 3Fg, although the rifling is 1:24. Pedersoli recommends the TC .54 Maxi Ball as the conical that should be used if one wishes to use a conical in this rifle. I don't know why Pedersoli would opt for 1:24 and the TC Maxi Ball (as recommended on their website) when a 1:48 twist might have served better.

The "target" version sports a rear, wrist mounted, peep sight, and a 1:65 twist barrel, as well as standard iron sights upon the barrel.

As Jager rifles go, this is an OK representation (imho). The caliber is fine for today, but historically it would've been thought to be a pop-gun in a Jaeger, which would be better served at .58 and much more common in .62 or larger.

The extant historic examples have all sorts of hardware, steel, brass, silver, and one example that I have seen has a wooden trigger guard, so the Pedersoli in steel hardware isn't wrong, though many reenactors that I know that do a German Jaeger with the Pedersoli, polish the barrel, lock, and hardware back to bright steel.

LD

I have had 3"- 3 shot groups at 100 yds. at a bench with a forarm rest. Swabbed with 1 patch w/ spit between shots. .015" commercial patch, .530" rball, .45-70 case full (80gr.+/-) of 3F Goex. I have had groups like that several times, so I think they shoot OK with roundball. I have a pic of one target but can't post it, sorry bout that.

Back