• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pedersoli Indian Trade Musket. What’s not HC/PC?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YJake

40 Cal
Reaction score
I’ve been contemplating assembling a Pedersoli Indian Trade Gun kit. I realize the gun has some details that aren’t quite correct for a trade gun, whether it be a NW or Carolina. What exactly am I looking at having to modify/replace?

-Sideplate?
-Lock?
-Ramrod thimbles?
-Trigger/Triggerguard?
-Buttplate?
-Ramrod? I’m planning to build a replacement from hickory, did originals have brass/steel ends threaded for toe worms?

How about the stock/architecture of the gun? Should I slim it down more?

I plan to use the gun for fun at the range mostly. It may see some use as a small game shotgun in the woods, maybe even for turkey within 25 yards. So, I’d like to make it as light as possible.

-Jake

You can get a track of the Wolf or pecotonic kit and not have to replace any thing. Track sell plans also. Or you can get the perdisoli as it’s a fine gun even if not correct.
Personal experience a longer barrel seems to handle better

The TOTW kit seems to be off of their website currently or I just can’t find it. I’ve heard they were having issues getting the locks for the kit.

The Pecatonica kit seems more involved than the Pedersoli, and the barrel length options are still short (36-41”). The information in the website is limited too, what exactly is required to assemble it?

-Jake

About 100 hours. The barrel channel is cut, but has to be squared at the back and the breech plug inlet.the side plate is a pretty complex inlet, but the only one on the gun.
Butt plate is flat and pretty easy
There are two ramrod pipes they inlet real easy.
You have to cut one dovetail for rear lug and the front two are soldered on, as is the site.
Originals were blued, but they were trade guns so you can cold blue to get the look. A brown looks nicer. The trigger guard lays on the gun.
The trigger hand on the wood with no plate.
Honestly is the wood on the forestock. It makes for a very tight anal sphincter slimi down the wood.
I found a dowel laid in the channel as your working the wood
I think perdisoli is all in 36”
Have you ever shot one?
I found them too straight . Well it’s not an AR15 but awkward for me to shoot.

I haven’t shot one but I do have a Brown Bess which I consider rather straight stocked, is it similar?

-Jake

Not much about the pedersoli trade gun is very accurate historically, however I would also say that almost nobody would notice it or care in reenactment.

By just a quick glance at a photo I would say all of what you list needs work or changing.
If these types of issues are a factor for you I would suggest starting with a canvas much closer to the original. Its much easier to make an LTD look like a Continental than it is to get one out of a Pinto ; )
Try this link from Clay Smith
https://claysmithguns.com/Trade_gun_kits.htm
Jim Kibler is also working on some form of smoothbored trading gun

And.... a Mike Brooks Carolina was just listed on ALR for sale

Back