• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pedersoli Indian Trade Musket unboxing and first impressions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also see that Military Heritage has a pretty nice looking Indian Trade Musket. It can get confusing in that Indian (meaning the Natives) and the modern item being made IN India can confuse!
Yes! Me, too! BTW, I had my eyes set on an MH Trade Musket, but stumbled upon a nice older Gostomsky Trade Musket at auction; it appears to never have been fired, and I learned a lot on this site about Curly and his muskets; MH's do look very nice.

It strips the protective bluing off with little effort. One of the photos shows the bluing dissolving and virtually sliding off the barrel. I did have to reapply and scrub all the books and crannies with a toothbrush. Immediately flush with water to kill the action. You can apply, flush, and apply several times to achieve an iron gray finish. There were few machine marks on the barrel, but I used some 600 grit sandpaper to clean it up a little before starting the browning process. I haven't tried it yet, but I've read where it will also strip off chemical case color as well.
This site has given more tips on using various chemicals to work on muzzleloaders than I ever thought possible!

Since then, I had a chance to try the Eagle One on a faux case color lock. The Crockett kit came with the lock case colored and the Eagle One stripped the finish off as easy as washing it. I helped it along with an old toothbrush. If you do use it, be sure to wear protective rubber gloves, and I would wear old work clothes or an apron. I browned all the steel on the Crockett and it turned out better than expected.
View attachment 194699
You did a super job on that finish, @Gunny5821 . That’s a nice looking rifle now.

Notchy Bob

Im working on a Pedersoli trade Musket kit, at present. I changed the Sea Serpent to a more corect one, that I got from Track of the Wolff.
If you do this make sure you get the Serpent the has no lock bolt holes, so you can drill your own.
Dave

Attachments

• 20221209_164628.jpg
    20221209_164628.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221101_173132 (1).jpg
    20221101_173132 (1).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Im working on a Pedersoli trade Musket kit, at present. I changed the Sea Serpent to a more corect one, that I got from Track of the Wolff.
If you do this make sure you get the Serpent the has no lock bolt holes, so you can drill your own.
Dave
That musket looks good, Dave. The proper serpent was a good idea, and makes a big improvement!

Notchy Bob

Thanks, its not as clean as it looks. My dad put everything in that you see on the walls and such, it was his dream woodshop that he started on about 10 years before he went to the happy hunting ground. He had been accumulating all of this old equipment for years in hopes of setting up a nice wood shop. He passed away June a year ago and I inherited all of his tools. All of the handsaws, planes, and carpenter tools that are on the wall, belonged to his father and my mother's father, both were old school carpenters. Thankfully a few years ago he tagged each tool so I would know who owned what. It's a nice treasure and I still get a little weepy every once in a while when I walk in. Sad thing is, as with a lot of other folks, I have two sisters and eventually everything I want to keep, I'll have to move. The biggest job I have ahead, is he also left me everything in a large two story barn type building and I've got to go through everything trying to decide what to keep. If he had one of everything, he had three. He was a tool hoarder and it is packed top to bottom.
I'm sorry for your loss.

The Serpent is what attracted me to them, much like the actual Natives that insisted upon them! I don't care if mine is a true copy of the original serpents or not, just that it has one of whatever design. This site, which is a bit addicting, has informed and guided somewhat my ML purchases over the last few years.

Back