• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Indian Trade Musket questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just noticed supporting members can't edit their posts or title after a bit of time passes . That's different :rolleyes:

But anyway, I took the metal off the wood earlier today... dang those wood screws are torqued in... and why do I need like six different blades for the screws? I've stopped putting them away. Seems like I always need a different bit for an Italian shooter. So I decided what the heck and had at her.
She's drying right now after knocking the shine off it, staining with a dark stain, letting it sit a while then rubbing her down.

So tomorrow we shall see what we shall see.
I'm hoping it doesn't contrast the gray barrel too much, but I know it will. Still, I did not want that Pedersoli light tan stock on it.
So we'll just call it a four beer stock :cool:
Have a Pedersoli Kentucky and would like to remove the factory finish. What method did you use?

Have a Pedersoli Kentucky and would like to remove the factory finish. What method did you use?
The scrapping method may well be best. But I just used some 320 and 400 grit on my Pedersoli, wiped it down, and applied several coats of BLO & turpentine. All I wanted to do is get rid of the shinny finish, which it did. I was pleased with how it turned out and it’s held up well. Did it a year or so ago.

Last edited:
What method of scraping did you use? Have a Pedersoli Kentucky and would like to remove the factory finish.

To get the factory finish off i use cabinet scrapers and i apply light pressure, then I sand lightly with 120 and work up to 150, i start to stain around 180. Before I stain i wet the wood with hot water to find any scratches and dents, i the iron out the dents and blemishes as best as i can with a heated steel bar and damp rag. This also raises the grain, and gets it ready for staining. Then i apply my sealers and finishes.

One that didn't work.
I thought I could knock the shine off it with some Scotch Brite and the dark stain would penetrate at least a little... but that was a waste of time.

Here's a pic I took today with a Condor knife I just finished modifying. The stain looks pretty much like it did before I did anything to it.
13.jpg

Next time I'll scrape it.

The scrapping method may well be best. But I just used some 320 and 400 grit on my Pedersoli, wiped it down, and applied several coats of BLO & turpentine. All I wanted to do is get rid of the shinny finish, which it did. I was pleased with how it turned out and it’s held up well. Did it a year or so ago.
Mind if I can see a pic or two?

That orange citrus stripper: I've removed finish, including the modern poly-type, on 3 or 4 musket stocks. You have to do a couple applications, of course, and use eye & rubber gloves protection. Don't soak with water as it can swell wood. Wipe with damp cloth, etc. I do it outside!

Maybe the date will interest those that have rust browned barrels.
Good info to have for any buyers purchasing from sellers describing their gun as "new old stock" if they don't have a good picture and they know the date it was made.

As I've said, the description clearly reads browned barrel. I knew what I was buying and the finish the barrel was going to have on it going in. Having learned from the purchase of my BB carbine. But that wasn't the crux of my first post anyway. I was more concerned it might not have the brass front sight and the odd look to the transition from octagonal to round.

The picture of the poor paint job was just to show those interested.
But talking 'bout paint is keeping a few of you busy :thumb:

If you consider spray on stripper, a sanding pad and an hour's time, time consuming, you are even more impatient than I am ;)
I'm glad I didn't go through the trouble of bead blasting it for as easy as it was to remove the paint in my slop sink.

So anyway...
It's back together.

The wood is a shade or two darker... not as much as I was hoping for when the stain was wet, but when you're applying stain over an oil finish or previously stained piece of wood you can't expect much.
And I decided to French Gray the barrel. It was too "in the white" looking for a gun that was most likely blued way back when.

But the lock definitely needs more work done to it. I think I'll shoot it some before I work on anything else.

View attachment 203435

View attachment 203436
Fantastic, when can I send you mine for a refinish job? Just kidding but I do want to get one!

This is the stuff I use. It’s taken off paint, varnish, and the factory finishes off a T/C, my Investarms Bridger, an India-made fusil de chasse, a painted wooden chest, and a few tool handles. I’ve used it indoors, though I recommend the porch. I let it sit for a few hours or overnight, scrape away the goo with a plastic palette knife or one of those fake credit cards they send in the mail, and wipe down with a damp paper towel to finish the job.
I probably have something laying around that I could strip if y’all think a documentary thread would be helpful.
Jay

Attachments

• IMG_8959.jpeg
    IMG_8959.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Back