• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pedersoli Indian Musket?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the Pedersoli Indian Trade Musket?
18529712-017-E-4-DFA-9-F72-EE19-C9-BAAD2-A.jpg
My uses would be recreational shooting and small game and maybe bird hunting. I’m not too concerned with historical correctness. I can get one for around $950 USD and don’t have the money right now for a custom gun. Do these have a patent breech, with the smaller section at the bottom of the barrel?

Thanks!

-Smokey

I don’t think they have a paten breech. They feel good to pick them up, and shoulder well. I’ve not owned one but seen a few and their owners were well satisfied with them.
It’s not a perfect copy of a trade gun, but no one will kick you out of an event.
For the money that’s a good buy. To get a good kit it will be a hundred hours and about $750. Few would see the difference.

Search "Pedersoli Indian Trade Musket" on YouTube and you'll find a guy that goes by "Black Powder Maniac Shooter". He shoots the heck out of his and loves it. I've been looking at getting one but I dropped a bundle on a custom rifle last year I'm still waiting on so it'll be awhile before I can afford another gun.....

Last edited:
Cool, thanks.

I hate the patent breeches. Just one more area to have to clean and needs a different size jag or brush. But I can deal with it if the gun is good otherwise.
I here this a lot but somehow mine performs perfectly with absolutely no cleaning of the patent breach.
I use no special tools just boiled water and a Jag.

I think patent breach's came from an era when folks were less prone to over complicating everything and just got on with stuff!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nu4PAzN142a9za457

Last edited:
There was patent fever at the time and every Lord Aimwell and Joseph Tinker Esquire had an idea. Some were great like rollers on frizzen springs, and sear stirrups. Some were a might whacky,like a complex system that would change the angle flint every time you cocked the piece.
A cartoon shows a hunter shooting his friend, dog, and random farm anamals and every thing around except the bird he was aiming at. “A new patent gun that kills in all directions”.

Cool, thanks.

I hate the patent breeches. Just one more area to have to clean and needs a different size jag or brush. But I can deal with it if the gun is good otherwise.

I second you on the patent breeches, I won't buy one either, at least for now.
I am often very tempted by Pedersoli's Mortimer 12 gauge half-stock shotgun, but it has the patent breech as well.

I here this a lot but somehow mine performs perfectly with absolutely no cleaning of the patent breach.
I use no special tools just boiled water and a Jag.

I think patent breach's came from an era when folks were less prone to over complicating everything and just got on with stuff!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nu4PAzN142a9za457

I like being able to clean the gun in the field where it is not practical to partially disassemble the gun and heat up water, or even flush with cold water.

I like being able to clean the gun in the field where it is not practical to partially disassemble the gun and heat up water, or even flush with cold water.

About all I ever do is clean immediately after done shooting at the range etc. There is zero problems cleaning Pedersoli style breeched guns. I think people get some idea, or the idea has been fostered that they clog up fouling, which they don't, or shouldn't. Like anything else they have advantages and disadvantages, but I wouldn't avoid a gun because of one.

Back