• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Hawken PR3500 From Dixie Gun Works…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeh I have one. Reasonably well balanced. Shoots well and no major issues to speak of. I would prefer my Thompson Hawken rifles over the Pedersoli but that's just personal preference. Good reliable gun but not as cheap as they used to be.
I shoot mine with .495 ball, 80-90 grains homemade powder , ticking patch. The .495 ball combo is quite a tight fit but straight shooting.

I remember Cap and Ball mentioning in the video having to drop the load to 30 something grains with a filler to get accurate loads. Not the case with mine shoots very well with loads approaching the 100 grain mark.

I`d go the Caplock over the flintlock. I have both locks and the Flint suffers from reliability issues from a combination of things.

Last edited:
Yeh I have one. Reasonably well balanced. Shoots well and no major issues to speak of. I would prefer my Thompson Hawken rifles over the Pedersoli but that's just personal preference. Good reliable gun but not as cheap as they used to be.
I shoot mine with .495 ball, 80-90 grains homemade powder , ticking patch. The .495 ball combo is quite a tight fit but straight shooting.

I remember Cap and Ball mentioning in the video having to drop the load to 30 something grains with a filler to get accurate loads. Not the case with mine shoots very well with loads approaching the 100 grain mark.

I`d go the Caplock over the flintlock. I have both locks and the Flint suffers from reliability issues from a combination of things.
Thanks for the info, Is it pretty easy to clean? I couldn’t tell if it had a hooked breech or not, I see it has a takedown pin but looked like the tang area is attached to the barrel and screwed in.

Straight foward to clean but yes you are correct it does not have a hooked breech. I have never taken the barrel out. Just swab with wet patches, pour a jug of boiling water down the barrel, more patches, last one with CRC 5.56 on it. Remove the lock and clean/oil it , pretty much job done.
I picked my one up for about half what they are selling for new now a few years back, the previous owner had bought it shot it but it wasn`t his thing so it was like new when it arrived with me. Would I buy it again, Yes but not at what they now want for them, I`d look for a 2nd hand T/C.

Straight foward to clean but yes you are correct it does not have a hooked breech. I have never taken the barrel out. Just swab with wet patches, pour a jug of boiling water down the barrel, more patches, last one with CRC 5.56 on it. Remove the lock and clean/oil it , pretty much job done.
I picked my one up for about half what they are selling for new now a few years back, the previous owner had bought it shot it but it wasn`t his thing so it was like new when it arrived with me. Would I buy it again, Yes but not at what they now want for them, I`d look for a 2nd hand T/C.
Thanks

I would say Pedersoli have tried some cost cutting. The locks are their generic ones and fit their Kentucky as I can just switch locks from Hawken to Kentucky and back. The Tang is pretty much the same as on their Kentucky though a bit longer. The trigger guard is not inleted but just screwed on. The barrel is reasonably heavy so I`m sure not just a Kentucky barrel shortened. The ramrod is considerably thicker than on my T/C -CVA rifles.
You mention the stock being hefty. Yes out of my 2 T/C Hawkens and CVA Mountain Rifle the Pedersoli is considerably more hefty especially around the trigger hand grip- quite a noticeable hand full compared to the others.

Last edited:
I have two of that same style Hawkens by Investarms....about $200 less with a hooked breech which makes cleaning very easy. Both are great shooters, very good triggers after some adjusting. Collect more first hand info before ordering. I do have a cartridge Pedersoli Sharps that I love. Beautiful, triggers and sights perfect right out of the box.

With the supply situation at the moment it may be a case of what he can get his hands on, especially if new. Just looked at Muzzleloaders site and all Investarm Hawken sold out.
Well I’ve narrowed it down, I currently have a traditions hawken that I don’t much care for because i want something of higher quality. I don’t much care for the all iron but traditional investarms gemmer, kind of want something walnut and brass with buckhorn sights, so I’ve narrowed it down to the Pedersoli, looking for a used but new Lyman trade rifle, or the investarms hawken carbine. I kinda want to stay with a 50 cal. Seems like trying to find a unicorn on in stock or decent prices so far…

Well I’ve narrowed it down, I currently have a traditions hawken that I don’t much care for because i want something of higher quality. I don’t much care for the all iron but traditional investarms gemmer, kind of want something walnut and brass with buckhorn sights, so I’ve narrowed it down to the Pedersoli, looking for a used but new Lyman trade rifle, or the investarms hawken carbine. I kinda want to stay with a 50 cal. Seems like trying to find a unicorn on in stock or decent prices so far…
Been there and settled for lesser guns and then shortly after my dream comes in. That is how you end up with a lot of guns!

I went a completely different direction. Jedediah smith trading company had a .50 cal Pedersoli Kentucky percussion for $766 plus ship so I ordered that.

Back