• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Harper's Ferry Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 43911

45 Cal.
Reaction score
UPS came today with my new Pedersoli Harpers Ferry Pistol, if the lock has spark problems I'll fix it, two cocks/hammers with correct geometry are available to replace stock one, work up some loads for fun and down the road some NMLRA competition shooting maybe. Action is smooth and light, frizzen operates smoothly, flint is 5/8". More to follow.

Attachments

• IMG_3670[1].JPG
    IMG_3670[1].JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 217
This gun was packed with a clear grease and plenty of it, accidental bonus, it's a smooth bore, I was a bit PO'd at first then quickly got over it, the bore is like a mirror, purchased new this week from Dixie, manufacture date 2019.

For me the grip angle is perfect, unlike the Kentucky and Continental Target pistol I complained about before, grip area is also slim and for my hands gives me a great trigger finger location, thumb rests on top just to the left (10 O'clock on grip area) just right.

I had thought about getting the percussion one down the road, possibly removing the drum installing a flash hole liner and changing the lock, ultimate in HC Harpers Ferry pistol, now there is no need but still running through my mind if it can be done.

For anyone that's interested the conversion of the percussion Pedersoli Harper's Ferry pistol, it can be done with ease, lock is drop in, flash hole liner screws in but the hole is is high and forward a little, can screw in an appropriate thread sized plug and drill for perfect location.

Do not accept a smoothbore if that is not what was ordered.

If Pedersoli forgot to rifle the barrel, then they should be made aware of that and a warranty process started.
I did order a flint gun with rifling, my intent was to shoot it for a while then get another or mod this one to smooth (correct and able to use in competition) but it's as I noted above an unexpected bonus for me.

...accidental bonus, it's a smooth bore, ... like a mirror, purchased new this week from Dixie, manufacture date 2019.

Sharp-looking pistol. :thumb: I immediately noticed your plus side comment about not getting a rifled barrel; glad that worked out okay for you.

Capandball made an interesting historical & shooting video about the Harper's Ferry pistol last year. If you haven't yet seen it and are interested, it's at this link. ~wiksmo

Sharp-looking pistol. :thumb: I immediately noticed your plus side comment about not getting a rifled barrel; glad that worked out okay for you.

Capandball made an interesting historical & shooting video about the Harper's Ferry pistol last year. If you haven't yet seen it and are interested, it's at this link. ~wiksmo

Thanks,
I have seen this video but it's good to add to this thread. Everyone gets wrapped around the true bore size being .54 and in this video he notes the bore size at 4:00 as larger , other references I have found indicates a few had rifling (officers specials), bore size was over sized for loading with fouling and ties with the 1803 rifle ? , all good stuff.

The current flint versions still come with a rifled .58 caliber barrel which in incorrect as it should be a .54 smoothbore. The percussion model is in the correct .54 caliber with a smoothbore.

Yes, you are correct as to what is being offered. BUT If you want a more correct one you can buy the percussion then install a flash hole liner and flint lock, then you would have a .54 smoothbore flintlock.

The bonus I got was ordering a flintlock knowing I was ordering a .58 with rifling,
(visually still the more correct pistol, unless you are going to look down the barrel)
and receiving a flintlock with a smooth bore, no flash hole liner just drilled, I'm going to do a wax cast of the bore to get an exact size, calipers give me .56 ?

P.S. Yes, the original stated bore size is/was .54. On the video above he notes " but the bores were loose" so what was the actual size, 10 thousandths over, 20 thousandths over for fouling.

Last edited:
two cocks/hammers with correct geometry are available to replace stock one,

Dbrevit,

Can you tell us about the correct cocks that are availible? I bought a Harpers Ferry Pistol cock from the Rifle Shoppe but found that the the square tumbler hole was not indexed correctly with the tumbler. I'd love to put a correctly styled and indexed cock on my pistol. I think you scored big on getting a correct .54 smooth bore barrel.

Mark Hubbs

I was in talks with Pedersoli a couple years ago recommending they release a version with flintlock and smooth .54 bore barrel. They said it was a possibility but apparently nothing ever came of it.

This seems a good workabout.

The locks would of originally been left in the white and the stocks would have been a darker shade as they were American walnut. I know the smoothbore percussion .54 I owned from Pedersoli had an American walnut stock.

I had looked on VTI's site and couldn't find a lock or any other parts for that matter. I do know that Pedersoli's locks are vastly overpriced so it could be an expensive proposition to convert on to flint. It's too bad that no one makes a lock for these pistols that would drop in and correct all their faults.

Dbrevit,

Can you tell us about the correct cocks that are availible? I bought a Harpers Ferry Pistol cock from the Rifle Shoppe but found that the the square tumbler hole was not indexed correctly with the tumbler. I'd love to put a correctly styled and indexed cock on my pistol. I think you scored big on getting a correct .54 smooth bore barrel.

Mark Hubbs

Hi Mark,
The first one was the one from The Rifle Shoppe, other was a mod 1803 from Davis.
The one you have can be easily modified by T.I.G. welding the corners of the tumbler hole and re-cut with file to index as you need. Is the hole in the same orientation as this picture?

Attachments

• harpers-ferry-military num2 (2).jpg
    harpers-ferry-military num2 (2).jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 1-plans-harpers-ferry-military_1_5c195768304b57896471dcd6bd60b529 (2).jpg
    1-plans-harpers-ferry-military_1_5c195768304b57896471dcd6bd60b529 (2).jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 114
I had looked on VTI's site and couldn't find a lock or any other parts for that matter. I do know that Pedersoli's locks are vastly overpriced so it could be an expensive proposition to convert on to flint. It's too bad that no one makes a lock for these pistols that would drop in and correct all their faults.

Dixie has the drop in Pedersoli Harper Ferry lock for $165, as far as faults, many people have no problems at all, as far as the look goes I have seen hammers that look the same on pictures of first production 1805 originals.

I was in talks with Pedersoli a couple years ago recommending they release a version with flintlock and smooth .54 bore barrel. They said it was a possibility but apparently nothing ever came of it.

This seems a good workabout.

The locks would of originally been left in the white and the stocks would have been a darker shade as they were American walnut. I know the smoothbore percussion .54 I owned from Pedersoli had an American walnut stock.

Smokey P,
The case color comes off very easy with Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish, my gun wood looks light in the photo but is darker when it's in your hand and no flash from a camera, will post an updated picture tonight. From what I understand is was not uncommon back in the day to case harden locks and parts and then rub off the color. The work around to get a flintlock .54 Harper's is the cost of the gun plus $165 for a complete lock, a metric plug/bolt (M8-1.25 stainless) to make a touch hole liner, drill bit and a little work (little work).

The Pedersoli M1805 HP pistol has a number of inaccuracies.

The barrel are thickly profiled and the .54 ones are clumsily muzzle heavy. The stocks are not profiled correctly, especially the grip and pommel regions. They barrels also use patent breeches, like most Euro replicas, though the originals used a standard design breech with no antichamber.

I sold mine and now enjoy an original M1842 Aston .54 smoothbore horseman’s pistol. Just have never been impressed with the authenticity and design choices in Pedersoli guns though I will admit the pistol I owned was a quality piece and shot very well.

The Pedersoli M1805 HP pistol has a number of inaccuracies.

The barrel are thickly profiled and the .54 ones are clumsily muzzle heavy. The stocks are not profiled correctly, especially the grip and pommel regions. They barrels also use patent breeches, like most Euro replicas, though the originals used a standard design breech with no antichamber.

I sold mine and now enjoy an original M1842 Aston .54 smoothbore horseman’s pistol. Just have never been impressed with the authenticity and design choices in Pedersoli guns though I will admit the pistol I owned was a quality piece and shot very well.

Yes, the barrel is thicker, my gun does not have a patent breech (touch hole is right at the breech plug), as far as the profile of the stock, the originals were hand made and had a lot of variation, some with a pronounced waist just before the pommel almost ball looking, some had a gentle slope to meet the brass, I have probably 100 reference photo's, original spec blue prints (copies), bla, bla, bla.

Now, with all this said, maybe it would be better and more cost effective to buy the rifled .58 and have a good shop ream it and sleeve it with a .54 smooth sleeve, no patent breech although the patent breech does not effect the function or the ascetics and has been around a long time etc, etc.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back