• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Frontier, whats your take?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokestack

32 Cal
Reaction score
Looking to add another muzzlestuffer to the safe and the Pedersoli Frontier line has caught my eye.

Any of you folks have experience behind these? Mostly looking to shoot patched round ball and have something that is a little less hungry for lead compared to my .577 P53. Looking to either get one in .32 or .45 (Planning on doing 100 yard shooting with this. Maybe further?)

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have the Frontier Deluxe. There are some wacky, misfitting parts, particularly the triggerguard, and the hammer is a bit off centered of the nipple. The finish is shiny and fragile. But it shoots pretty well. Mine is .36

Have the Frontiers little brother, called the Scout Carbine I believe, in 32 caliber with both percussion and flint locks. With 12 grains of Swiss fff and a patched 1-1/2 buckshot it is deadly on squirrels and targets out to the 30 or so yards I shoot it. Not quite an inch high at 25 yards, about inch low at 50. Only tried gun and load at 100 yards a few times, and remember it being more that a foot and a half low and susceptible to wind, not a complaint, just an observation with a light 32 caliber roundball load.

A .45 round ball will do much better at 100 yards and especially on steel targets than would a .36.

I have a flint .36. The forend has more heft to it than I like. I plan to remove some wood from it as a project for next winter. I like the fact that the barrel is easily removed for cleaning using the screws in the ram rod ferrules, but many do not like this feature. The trigger guard should have been inletted but i understand that these guns were supposed to be copies of the Hatfield gun, and the gurards on the Hatfield were not inletted.

All in all, a decent production gun. Some of the ones I have seen have some nice wood. Mine is rather plain looking but it shoots very well.

I have the Frontier flint .54 that I bought new last year. It is VERY accurate and the lock is ultra dependable.
It shoots bugholes at 50 yards and fist sized groups at 100 using 75gr 3F OE, a .535 ball and a .010 minked cotton patch.
I almost always get 40-60 shots on a flint so it is easy on supplies as well.
Only one misfire with more than 500 shots fired now, and that was my fault for priming the pan too lightly ......

I have two of these I bought in unfired condition at auction roughly 15 years ago. Both are in .32 caliber, both have 48" twist - one is percussion and the other flint. The front sight blades were still purposely high from the factory to file lower for proper sighting in - which in my case I did for a 50 yard zero. The load I am currently using in both rifles is 30 grs. by volume of Goex FFFg with a Hornady .315" swaged ball and some .015" mink oil patches I had from Track of the Wolf. This does 1" to 1 1/2" groups at 50 yards - but I do have some occasional blown patches so I need to experiment some more. The locks have worked well for me with zero ignition problems.

These are fun rifles that I'm happy I own.

On one absolutely stellar day I used the flint rifle to head shoot a squirrel offhand from 25 yards - with a witness!

I should have bought lottery tickets - that's never happened before or since..........

A 45 will do better at 100yd but a 36 is less expensive to shoot. So it just depends on what you really want.

Back