• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Frontier rifle .36/.32cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone care to comment on their experience with the Pedersoli (flintlock) Frontier rifle in .32 or .36 caliber?
(Tried doing an advanced search and came up with 500 hits the first time and 212 the second.)
They are a little on the heavy side for a small game rifle (for my taste) but not unreasonable.
Would probably replace the rear sight.
Appreciate your input.
Best Wishes

I have one in .36 and I like it, but I've done a laundry list of things to it to make it more appealing to me and to shoot better.

You're right, you'll want to replace the sights. The front sight is way too thick. The sight is thicker at the base, so as you file down you reduce the amount of light on either side of the blade when looking through the rear sight. The notch in the rear sight will have to be widened more to accomodate this. I've widened the notch, and replaced the front sight with a .075" thick silver blade and the sight picture is much better. Also cut off the buck horns.
The frizzen spring is too strong and needs to have metal removed from the top and also needs a good polishing.
The laquer finish is not appealing to me and I stripped it and applied about 10 coats of tung oil. Much better.
I don't like the case coloring on the lock and I removed it with toilet bowl cleaner.
Let's see, I also striped the ramrod with a torch and rounded off the nose of the stock. Oh, and I darkened the brass with BP residue.

This is all cosmetics, other than the sights. It shoots real tight . Basically same hole at 25-30 yards. It shoots great at 50yds. Getting 4in groups off-hand at 50yds was easy.

Mine is a 50 rather than a 32 or 36, but I'm so pleased with it that I'm watching the other comments that come in. Definitely considering picking one up.

I will say that the wood on my 50 is "generous." I haven't done it yet, but high on my list is to put that forend on a diet, thinning it as much as I reasonably can. I'm betting I'd do the same thing to a 32 or 36.

I have the percussion variant (.36), so the lock doesn't apply, but I've been very happy with mine. Only problem I've had with it is I got it used, and someone had installed a sling swivel through the center underlug, which broke. I'm still trying to fiure out the best way to repair it without weakening the new one. It is a bit heavy, especially toward the muzzle, but I found using a sling helps a lot with that.

All in all, the Frontier is an ok rifle. I have one in 32 that is muzzle heavy, which means that it is not as comfortable to shoot off hand as other guns I have handled and shot. The butt is pretty skinny too, which doesn't help balance. Accuracy is ok, but not as good as I would like.

IMHO, for the price of a new one, a good used, custom or semi custom small bore of better quality can be had.

I have the Blue Ridge in .32, same gun. Its a good gun except for the lock. It eats regular flints, have to use manmade ones to get many shots. I have started to lighten the frizzen spring,strong. I like my sights, never had to change them. Killed 2 squirrels with 2 shots. I use 20grs 3f and .311 ball pillow ticking patch lubed with deer tallow. Plain gun, I got mine in 2001 for 400.00.All its worth in my book. Dilly

Back