• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli fail!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Handled a Pedersoli a while back in a gun store and the barrel finish just didn’t look right, too consistent of a color maybe. Read later on that Pedersoli was using a Cerakote finish on some of their barrels, though I did not see it confirmed on Pedersoli’s website. Personally, would not care for it as it doesn’t wear like a traditional finish, but it will scratch and chip. It is ultimately a painted coating, just happens to be ceramic.

Is that type finish common on store bought rifles? I've never had such a thing. I tend to build mine in a more
tradional manner. Flint of course!
Not common except for unmentionables but it is starting to happen more with BP guns. I wouldn't have a problem with it in a rust brown as long as it looks close to natural. It is a very durable finish and it will scratch and chip but not easy. I wouldn't want it on a very nice rifle though.

All of the Blue Ridge guns I have seen have been rust blued.

I had two Cabela's "Blue Ridge" rifles. Those would have been purchased in the very early 2000's. Both were browned barrels. I don't remember when it happened, but the Cabela's branded Blue Ridge went from browning to bluing while the Pedersoli Frontier stayed browned. More recently ( a few years now, I think) they went to the current finish. I looked at one at Cabela's and personally was not impressed with the finish. Since when did they put that stuff on barrels of the past and aren't these production guns supposed to at least have some semblance of a traditional rifle? To me, barrels on traditional guns should be browned, blued, left in-the-white, or aged to look like what the prior three might look like after years of use in the field.

Perhaps they have transitioned back? This is the current barrel description on Cabela's website: "The precision-rifled 39" blued octagonal barrels...." And in the overall description is says " Finish: Case Hardened/Blued " referring to the lock and barrel, because the rest of the furniture is brass.

I picked up a Blue Ridge flintlock last spring in .50 caliber and the barrel is blued. My Pedersoli Frontier rifle in .45 caliber from a about a year ago has a browned barrel on it.

My Pedersoli frontier is nicely browned but the sights are blued. A bit strange I think. In addition the front sight is so wide [thick] that it pretty well blocks out some scenery. Sweet gun in near pristine shape but I don't use it … may sell it soon. Polecat

My Pedersoli frontier is nicely browned but the sights are blued. A bit strange I think. In addition the front sight is so wide [thick] that it pretty well blocks out some scenery. Sweet gun in near pristine shape but I don't use it … may sell it soon. Polecat
I changed out my Frontier rear sight to a Skinner Peep.... Love it!
I also took a file to that wide front billboard and narrowed it down a bit.

Tinkering with three or so custom rifles it was a simple fix to tighten loose front and rear sights. Peening the dovetail, as previously described, works and is easy. The other suggestions do just as well, in my experience.

Latest posts

Back