• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

pedersoli double 20g flint

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find the basketweave checkering to be waaaaaaaaaay late in any flintlock lineage and find it butt ugly to boot. I handled one and believe it may be impossible to scrape away enough wood to get rid of it.

Bit the bullet back in January. Currently "awaiting inventory" from DGW. No idea when that will be.

The basket weave checkering is super ugly and inappropriate. Not sure why they thought it was a good idea. The cocks look weird to me. The barrels are too short. It appears that the Italians did not bother to examine an original. I have never understood that type of lack of research on the part of mass market gun makers. It would have cost the same to do it right as to do it wrong. So, they made an expensive gun that looks cheap. I predict it will be a flop, and rightfully so.

There was a write up on in in a recent magazine, probably muzzle blasts. I can not find it right now.

I'm not bothered by basketweave because I'm sitting on my much-used collection of checkering tools. Every basketweave that's passed through my hands wasn't basketweave for long. Purty darned easy with a little practice, so for a half day of careful sweat and a few dollars for the tool, a guy shouldn't let the checkering bother him if he likes other things about the gun.

I know that $1750 is alot of money. I think I remember thats the price for this dbl. bbl. flintlock shotgun. I looked for 3 years for a dbl. bbl. flinter. I never found one any where near this price, they ranged from about double this to tens of thousands of dollars.
I think Pedersoli's Quality which has been stated on this forum is good. I just was gifted my second, a Bess that I haven't shot yet. I have only owned one other one, a used Gibbs and it was a tack driver.
In the world of dbl. bbl. flint shotguns this is a very cheap and reasonable price.
I finally found one that I couldn't afford and paid alot more than what this gun cost.
I have seen one example of a sort of skip line checkering on one original. So its not that far off.
Although they could have left it off it is less than attractive.
Pederosoli is in the business of selling guns. And have been doing a good job at it. Their marketing group must have seen something out there for this type of checkering. I think if enough people contacted them they would change the pattern.
So this price is not out of line for a gun of this quality. You can buy one of the cheaper ones but thats what they are is cheap, a friend bought one and they are junk.

Just my 2 cents take it for what its worth.

Jerry

FWIW, one of the reviews I read claimed this original as Pedersoli's basis for the basketweave checkering. Not sure how accurate that claim was as that particular review had so many other discrepancies I tended to discount its accuracy.

Attachments

• Pedersoli-Classic-Side-By-Side-Deluxe-5.jpg
    Pedersoli-Classic-Side-By-Side-Deluxe-5.jpg
    485.8 KB · Views: 156
For what you get they are not a patch on the original and are far too expensive .You will find they will never catch on he in the UK when you can buy a original shooter for less than half the price, like most repros they look poor quality.
Fetwad
Original Flintlock

Last edited:
Leaving aside the ghastly basketweave for a moment, consider the locks...
They use this generic lock on other guns. It is a flintlock. Maybe it sparks acceptably. But it is styled unlike any original. They can make locks that resemble originals - their Grice 1762, their Mortimer, etc. It is a shame to undertake a project like this, and then spoil it.

The basket weave checkering is super ugly and inappropriate. Not sure why they thought it was a good idea. The cocks look weird to me. The barrels are too short. It appears that the Italians did not bother to examine an original. I have never understood that type of lack of research on the part of mass market gun makers. It would have cost the same to do it right as to do it wrong. So, they made an expensive gun that looks cheap. I predict it will be a flop, and rightfully so.

There was a write up on in in a recent magazine, probably muzzle blasts. I can not find it right now.

I agree 100%.
I have always wondered where the Italians get some of the examples they choose to copy.
Even cursory resesrch would help.
The Italian Brown Besses are prime examples.

Unless I'm missing something, that's not a write up of the gun, its just more speculation based on pictures and videos, some by the same people on here. The one link posted to an actual write up was to an article I had already found (https://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/shotguns/pedersoli-classic-side-side-shotgun/) and highly discounted due to its inaccuracies on some pretty basic stuff. The guy at the shotshow who actually handled the piece really didn't say anything about it.

Last edited:
Unless I'm missing something, that's not a write up of the gun, its just more speculation based on pictures and videos, some by the same people on here. The one link posted to an actual write up was to an article I had already found (https://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/shotguns/pedersoli-classic-side-side-shotgun/) and highly discounted due to its inaccuracies on some pretty basic stuff. The guy at the shotshow who actually handled the piece really didn't say anything about it.

The only write up I have seen by people who have actually seen and held and shot one of these was in Muzzle Blasts magazine a couple of months ago. They were at Friendship and had it there just about all week and multiple people got a chance to actually hold, look at and fire it. From the write up they all liked how it felt, handled, and shot. A friend of mine was at Friendship and got a chance to hold and look at it, although he did not shoot it, and he said the workmanship on it was good. He did not personally like the basket weave, but credited it as based on an original, and he was somewhat suspect of the barrel (only because he wasn't sure where it was made), but overall he said it looked like a good gun.

I have not seen or held it yet, but my question would be: What are the alternatives? Not everybody has access to original English made doubles, nor afford to have one custom made, so just what options do we have. I am glad to see this one by Pedersoli just for those two reasons. The basket weave does not excite me, but it is copied from some originals, I am told later period flintlock doubles, but still originals.

So, to all those that have never actually seen or handled or shot it but are dissing this gun I say, good, don't buy one. That hopefully will make them available quicker for those of us who want one.

Back