• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli chromed finish

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rudall

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have a pistol like this:

pistols Le Page ® Target Standard Percussion Model

and would perhaps like it to be like this:

pistols Le Page ® Maple Percussion Model

Could anyone tell me how easy/difficult/impossible it would be to remove the chromed finish and brown the barrel?
Would it be a physical removal with emery? Chemical?
What browning is recommended? Birchwood Casey products?

I know very little!

Many thanks.

Your best bet is to sand the finish off, using the black, wet/dry, silicone carbide sand paper. Silicone carbide is harder than the chrome plating but it will take a lot of sanding to finish the job.

After the chrome plating is removed, you can brown the barrel using a good product such as Laurel Mountain "Barrel Brown & Degreasing Agent". This is a cold browning agent that uses humidity to form the brown, hard rust finish.

It’s chrome according to the Pedersoli website.
It doesn’t sound as if this would be a very easy job. Getting the chrome off the round parts (where the nipple screw in – I don’t know the terminology) might be pretty tricky.
It was just an idea, anyway. Probably one to consider yet for some time.

A bit drastic!
I'm perfectly happy with the gun – I wouldn't have bought it otherwise. I was merely wondering if it could be done, and if so I might try it at some point.
A little internet research tells me that reverse electrolysis might be the way to go if that day arrives.

Sorry that’s not what you wanted to hear. Ive been building for about 25 years, and know metal and wood finishes pretty well, and I wouldn’t do it.

Just my opinion. Lots of work, little return. Don’t think there’s an easy fix.

If you really have to have that plating off, call around to chrome shops in your area. You should be able to find one that'd do it cheap enough. Removing it with abrasives is a job of work, and electrolysis probably isn't something you want to tackle at home. Toxic waste, etc..

what is wrong with it now? it is a high quality handgun. i would leave as is and have fun shooting it and then clean good when done shooting. it looks beautiful as is.

Back