• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pedersoli brown bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve seen a few sell for 1700 and 2100, the 2100 was stocked in cherry from navy arms and was in the incorrect .69 caliber bore.

I can’t explain the current demand for Miroku muskets, but people are willing to pay for them and pay a lot extra. But it seems to be of a collectibility or commodity desire.

Well the .69 is another matter, and so might a .72 be. Yes I know of a fellow who used to be the captain of the Maryland Militia who has one, and was offered twice the price of a Pedersoli for it back in 1995 for his .69 Bess. He still has it..., says they will bury him with it....

But for a .75..., again you can find persons from time to time willing to drop cash thinking something is "collectable" but for the most part, not so much.

I bought a Japanese Bess kit, NIB in 2018 for $500.00. I knew a fellow who once upon a time was a sutler, and he found the kit squirreled away in his basement when he downsized his house. The only tough part was the barrel pin holes and ramrod thimble pin holes were not drilled nor marked. I completed it and sold it to a reenactor.

Weird stuff going on.

LD

I hear a lot of chatter about $6-700 but when I've actually FOUND a Pedersoli Bess to lay hands on in the past couple of years, it's been comfortably north of $1k. I'd love to have another one because mine was a fantastic shooter and fun as could be, but not $1500 worth.

If anyone near Cincinnati, OH is looking for a Pedersoli Bess, the local Bass Pro Shop is showing "Limited Stock" on their website for $999.99 this morning. That would seem to suggest they have at least one available at the sale price.

The cabelas price was in store only. I looked at Dixiegunworks and others and if they are in stock they are going for retail. $1525!
Dixie prices everything at full bust-out retail, except for the occasional clearance sale.

I hear a lot of chatter about $6-700 but when I've actually FOUND a Pedersoli Bess to lay hands on in the past couple of years, it's been comfortably north of $1k. I'd love to have another one because mine was a fantastic shooter and fun as could be, but not $1500 worth.
That is an insane price that is getting close to new semi-custom Kentucky rifle prices.
I don’t begrudge any manufacturer a profit, but Pedersoli can probably get a BB to the shipping dock for around $375 to $400.
Yes, I understand about shipping costs and taxes.
If customers are willing to pay $1,200 and up for a BB, I guess everybody’s happy.

Rifles and smooth bores of high quality cost big bucks. As an example a Kibler Smr is $1200 dollars Unassembled. Forget about it if you want the locks etched and some relief carvings you can safely bet a guy who is good at it probably gets $150 an hour in labor. There are masters and builders. A name commands big bucks. And the results speak for them self. I have a couple of rifles some big bucks some in the $2000 range there are distinct differences in the enhancements. I’m absolutely happy with every one I ever purchased from plain janes to sweet Golden Ages.” Bottom line the better parts the more custom the bling the more money they cost. Id be hard pressed to sell any I have i love them all. Be happy with what you have and you’ll be happy. If want better trade up with cash and possibly other could get it you into something nicer. Unfortunately for many it’s an expensive hobby and you can always make your own if you have some skills and don’t rush it. The nicer rifles I have are the result of working; house paid and small inheritance. Otherwise I’d have less but I like everything I have. I think shipping for a Brown Bess from Dixie Gun Works is free less the over size charge. If not around $100.

Last edited:
Less than 2 years ago, I bought my Pedersoli Bess, $750 shipped with bayonet, cartridge box, spare flints and balls-approx. 100 split between a patched and un-patched size. Deals are out there.

Both the Pedersoli and Miroko are very good muskets about equal nether are truly accurate replicas but they are best ones out there they are modern machine made The original were not and it shows however they are reliable and well made .and safe to shoot.I own two Pedersolis one marked Grice the other Stowe the latter has been in service with me for well over 30 years the Grice about 5 years. l also own a Moroko Brown Bess For at least 30 years as well every bit as good as the Pedersolis had to install sling swivel s on my Moroko which they did not come with at least mine did not .It is how ever a very nice musket ever bit as good as my Pedersolis for the purpose I bought them which is Hunting reenacting General shooting as I donot use modern new fangled breech loaders The brown bess is not a target rifle its a musket Shot or ball does it all and well for hunting In New England

so are bench made ones more historically correct? do they even make bench made ones at all?

so are bench made ones more historically correct? do they even make bench made ones at all?

Yes and no, any bench made Brown Bess is from a collection of parts or a parts kit.

A high quality bench made Brown Bess runs for around 2500$.

I have a track of the wolf long land and a 1756 Rifle Shoppe (still working on it). They’re the most accurate Brown Bess’s I own, my pedersoli I never defarbed.

Dare i say this but there are many hack made Brown Bess muskets, which I see too often these days.

I made the mistake of hiring someone to assemble a Brown Bess for me back in 2017/18, in short my kit was destroyed, nothing was done right, not even the nose cap Missed pin holes were plugged with toothpicks, this is shameful. So I would suggest only using a reputable builder, one with references and work samples.

But I think your best option is to defrab a pedersoli. You can do a highly detailed defrab or a limited defarb (removing factory markings).

I recently saw a pedersoli with a Wilson marked lock plate and New Jersey etched on the barrel.

Kits can be purchased from The Rifle Shoppe and Track of the Wolf for more historically correct muskets. You do have to pay attention to order the correct pattern for the historical period.

There’s something that could be said a bess from Loyalist Arms, a little lock work and stock work would make it accurate, but Indian made Bess’s are what they are

@FlinterNick, I have a Loyalist Arms Long Land Pattern Musket and agree that it is more historically correct for the F&I War than the Pedersoli versions. The stock is heavy and so is the barrel. Mine has been reliable, so I am not going to get a musket kit to be only a little more historically accurate.

As I said, odd as the ones I was dealing with dropped right in, BUT...,
The serial number that gives the "age" only really tells you when the barrel was stamped. No telling when the rest of the musket was made, and the lock aren't dated either. Could sit upon the shelves for decades and nobody would know.

LD
Yeah, the guy who has Veteran Arms said they make barrels that can then sit on shelves for quite a while until being put together into a musket. Makes sense.

Yeah, the guy who has Veteran Arms said they make barrels that can then sit on shelves for quite a while until being put together into a musket. Makes sense.

I don’t think Charles from Veteran Arms makes his own barrels, like middlesex trading, loyalist arms and military heritage, they import their indian made arms either completed or in a kit form, I think he has Indian imported barrels. he probably has some left overs from returned or damaged stock.

@FlinterNick, I have a Loyalist Arms Long Land Pattern Musket and agree that it is more historically correct for the F&I War than the Pedersoli versions. The stock is heavy and so is the barrel. Mine has been reliable, so I am not going to get a musket kit to be only a little more historically accurate.

I have a 1728 Charleville on backorder with them.

I don’t think Charles from Veteran Arms makes his own barrels, like middlesex trading, loyalist arms and military heritage, they import their indian made arms either completed or in a kit form, I think he has Indian imported barrels. he probably has some left overs from returned or damaged stock.
Yes, I didn't mean to imply Charles actually made his own barrels, you're right, they're made in India, he simply told me that they can sit at the factory some time before being put into a musket complete. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back