• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli brown bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A friend of mine asked me to find out what a used but really nice Pedersoli 2nd pattern brown bess was worth . He is thinking about selling one of his . Any help on a fair price would be appreciated.

I just looked at Cabelas and a New one can be had for $999. though you can't order it online. A used one I would think 650-750 in really nice shape. I'd ask at least that for the one I have.

$850 would be for one in pristine condition...., without a bayonet.

The problem is the condition varies quite a bit. I normally won't buy one for more than $750 and that includes the shipping.

Some can be rather ragged, having been used for decades as reenactor arms, and need a lot of restoration and won't go for more than $550 plus shipping.

On the other hand some have had some custom work done on them, and could go for $1000, but they are very rare indeed.

LD

I just looked at Cabelas and a New one can be had for $999. though you can't order it online. A used one I would think 650-750 in really nice shape. I'd ask at least that for the one I have.
I see used but nice ones at auction now and again; you gotta be prepared to pay over 600 for one.

That's a sale price and you'd be lucky to find one at that price. Pretty close to $1,500 elsewhere.

Pretty close to $1,500 elsewhere.

I've had my eye open for another Pedersoli Bess probably around a year, now. Had one about three years ago and ran into a guy who wanted it worse than me. I've found a few in top condition or new and $1200-1500 is pretty consistently what I'm seeing.

Depends. The newer pedersoli Bess’s in really good condition sell for around 800-1000 used. The older generation of pedersoli Bess’s sell for a higher amount in very good condition. The older pattern’s from the 1970’s are characterized by a slightly different stock shape in European Walnut, and larger lock And slightly lighter barrel, these can sell for up near 1200-1500.

I'll agree with the higher end numbers here. Just seen two people I know acquire Pedersoli BBs.. all paid 1K or more.

why do the JAPANESE BROWN BESSE'S go for or, bring such high $, in used condition, as a rule? even more than the ITALIAN ones? just courious.?

why do the JAPANESE BROWN BESSE'S go for or, bring such high $, in used condition, as a rule? even more than the ITALIAN ones? just courious.?
From my understanding is that they are more (but not completely) historically accurate than Pedersolis...same for the Charlevilles.

bjarard, thank you for the explanation of the difference in the two. you would think that if the JAPANESE could do it so close, so many years ago that the ITALIANS could at least do them a little more historically correct in the 21st. century?

The Japanese made Brown Bess Muskets are often sought after as a type of commodity because they’re no longer in production.

As for comparing quality, they both offer different things. The pedersoli bess typically has the higher quality walnut stock, some Japanese Bess’s were made in walnut or cherry which is desirable however most were made in either birch or lower quality maple. The locks were marked tower, which is very desirable for period correctness and the barrels were made well in either .72 or .75 caliber.

The locks were great sparkers too, with a very strong mainspring, ‘too strong‘ in my opinion.

I‘ve seen miroku Bess’s sell for upward near 1700$

Most factory made guns will never be 100% authentic, the most authentic factory gun i‘ve ever seen was a 1763/66 Charleville Musket, the locks are just a little larger than the originals but mostly everything is very close. The stock was a little chunky in the butt, wrist and lock area otherwise, the pedersoli 1766 Charleville is more like a 1763 Charleville, which is very hard to reproduce accurately.

The Japanese made Brown Bess Muskets are often sought after as a type of commodity because they’re no longer in production.

As for comparing quality, they both offer different things. The pedersoli bess typically has the higher quality walnut stock, some Japanese Bess’s were made in walnut or cherry which is desirable however most were made in either birch or lower quality maple. The locks were marked tower, which is very desirable for period correctness and the barrels were made well in either .72 or .75 caliber.

The locks were great sparkers too, with a very strong mainspring, ‘too strong‘ in my opinion.

I‘ve seen miroku Bess’s sell for upward near 1700$

Most factory made guns will never be 100% authentic, the most authentic factory gun i‘ve ever seen was a 1763/66 Charleville Musket, the locks are just a little larger than the originals but mostly everything is very close. The stock was a little chunky in the butt, wrist and lock area otherwise, the pedersoli 1766 Charleville is more like a 1763 Charleville, which is very hard to reproduce accurately.

I've had my eye open for another Pedersoli Bess probably around a year, now. Had one about three years ago and ran into a guy who wanted it worse than me. I've found a few in top condition or new and $1200-1500 is pretty consistently what I'm seeing.
Yes a factory new, with a warranty, Bess starts at around $1140.00
Since used ones are no longer under warranty, and since the Bess go on sale each year for about $140- $200 off..., this lowers the price of the used Bess.

LD

Depends. The newer pedersoli Bess’s in really good condition sell for around 800-1000 used. The older generation of pedersoli Bess’s sell for a higher amount in very good condition. The older pattern’s from the 1970’s are characterized by a slightly different stock shape in European Walnut, and larger lock And slightly lighter barrel, these can sell for up near 1200-1500.

ODD...,
I've seen Older Pedersoli Bess accept new locks from Pedersoli, and drop right in. No size difference.
Stocks are identical
The older ones often have a thinner barrel, which makes them a few ounces lighter.
I've never seen an older Pedersoli go anywhere near a new Bess price. I've seen folks ASK for that much, but not seen them sell for that.

And Miroku Bess selling for upwards of $1700? Again I've seen folks ASK for such prices...not the same as actually selling for such a price. I suppose there are foolish folks that might pay that.

I regularly buy and sell both. I buy and then work on the guns to bring them back to better working condition, then resell them. So yes, when I'm bidding against a person who is going to put the musket to personal use, they can go a bit higher than myself, and get one with shipping at around $900.

Most folks that I've encountered Won't buy a Bess for $900 or higher when they can drop another $150 and get a factory new Bess under warranty

LD

Last edited:
From my understanding is that they are more (but not completely) historically accurate than Pedersolis...same for the Charlevilles.
Actually the Miroku Bess are LESS accurate than the Pedersoli, with the Pedersoli inaccurate too. The damaged trigger guard on the Miroku Bess is the problem. Folks give Miroku points for using "TOWER" on their lock instead of "Grice"... it's poorly stamped as is the crown on the lock so that too is a problem for the Miroku.

Miroku made Bess, being Japanese so without a proofed barrel, had the same comments made about them as the India made guns do today. Over time, with the Miroku frim making barrels for a very respected modern gun company, and the fact that their Bess have stood the test of time, especially the locks, the rep has changed. They work great and take a pounding in the field.

There is absolutely NO collectability factor for Pedersoli nor Miroku repro Bess muskets....not from what I've seen.....

LD

Last edited:
The Japanese were provided an actual short land pattern Bess to copy. And copy they did as seen in the misshapen trigger guard.

Pedersoli was provided a short land pattern Bess to use as basis for their musket. Manufacturing efficiencies were incorporated to make an acceptable but more profitable musket.

The Pedersoli and the Miroku Besses are good quality and good functioning muskets. Better for a more or less correct AWI reenactment use than for F&I.

Back