• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli "Bounty"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talking about the Charles Moore pistol and specifically the set trigger.

Have you removed the set trigger from the stock? There should be an internal adjustment screw on the trigger plate to increase the tension on the set trigger lever. You should be able to increase the pressure on the lever and have the necessary force to trip the nose of the sear from the tumbler.

It does appear from the Pedersoli Part Diagram that the set trigger spring can be adjusted internally.https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/uploads/prodotti/S305.pdf

Last edited:
I've been looking at the Pedersoli Bounty in caplock and I like the looks of it especially the longer barrel. Does anybody have any opinions good or bad with this pistol? I would use it for hunting (?) and target and opinion on .45 or .50.
Any info gladly accepted. :grin:
Well if it floats your boat buy it , who cares what anybody else thinks! I like the look as well but from a practical stand point you'll need a holster or a sling to carry it afield and then you'd be better off with a carbine length rifle which is easier to shoot accurately. I'd go with a shooting sling that doubles as a carry sling if you decide to buy it. A long pistol shooting sling that goes around your neck and carry shoulder, that you push against, will steady your aim remarkably. I used to use one on a modern center fire pistol for varmint hunting.

I purchased an old Traditions modern style pistol grip side lock rifle and cut the stock back and cut the barrel to 12 inches. It is a fair shooter.

Has anyone actually shot one off hand at 25 and 50 yards?

The barrel length makes me wonder. Shooting one while hunting from a brace is one thing, offhand makes me wonder with the barrel length. Appears kind of barrel heavy with poor balance.

Any offhand experience?

Thanks

RDE
I think the technique to shooting such a long barrel single shot pistol is to not hold it like a pistol, but to hold it like a rifle, left hand forward of the lock, right hand in the normal position, right elbow bent, and then grasping with the left hand firmly, and pulling slightly forward, then pulling slightly rearward with the right or grip hand, and making sure the trigger finger is free, or floating and not gripping. Kind of pretend it's a rifle, with an imaginary butt stock. In such a large heavy pistol, 55 to 65 grains should not be uncontrollable as far as recoil. Using the above method, I can fire a 240 grain slug over 65 grains of powder in my Lyman Plains Pistol accurately, or a ball over 75 grains. Those loads are my limit for recoil, and I have reduced my ball load to 65 grains. But in the pistol under discussion, I think it would be more/very manageable if using the right technique. And of course, even with a rifle, one always takes a rest, if possible.

I mostly just use my pistols for competition at monthly club shoots. I seriously was looking at the Bounty Hunters, but finally backed off as I think I would be totally embarrassed shooting one in the match. With that barrel length it would appear that I was really reaching out to beat everyone else using a gun that was out of the ordinary....like maybe showing up with a zip gun of some sort(inline). Instead of the Bounty, I ordered a Charles Moore, but threw my back out in the meantime and haven't been able to get it out and sighted in yet.
I've got a Tennessee Pedersoli that does okay for me...along with other pistols.

Well if it floats your boat buy it , who cares what anybody else thinks! I like the look as well but from a practical stand point you'll need a holster or a sling to carry it afield and then you'd be better off with a carbine length rifle which is easier to shoot accurately. I'd go with a shooting sling that doubles as a carry sling if you decide to buy it. A long pistol shooting sling that goes around your neck and carry shoulder, that you push against, will steady your aim remarkably. I used to use one on a modern center fire pistol for varmint hunting.
I am also kind of in the short carbine over super long pistol camp, but with a sling the Bounty would be very comfortable to carry, and using the sling as a shooting sling is something I overlooked. Although a carbine would be easier to shoot accurately, with the right technique the Bounty would be very accurate. In fact, with some practice, good technique, and dedication, you might be able to embarrass some rifle shooters. !!!

Not sure if anyone responded to .45 vs. .50", but for hunting I'd think you would want the larger bore. In rifles not so much of a worry, but in the short barrel I'm thinking the greater mass and diameter of a .50" would be a worthwhile gain.

I am also kind of in the short carbine over super long pistol camp, but with a sling the Bounty would be very comfortable to carry, and using the sling as a shooting sling is something I overlooked. Although a carbine would be easier to shoot accurately, with the right technique the Bounty would be very accurate. In fact, with some practice, good technique, and dedication, you might be able to embarrass some rifle shooters. !!!

Not sure if anyone responded to .45 vs. .50", but for hunting I'd think you would want the larger bore. In rifles not so much of a worry, but in the short barrel I'm thinking the greater mass and diameter of a .50" would be a worthwhile gain.
My large pistol is a .54 with a nine inch barrel. I made it from spare rifle parts I had left over. The pitch is a slow 1-60 rifle twist but it shoots balls to 50 yards accurately. I doubt it would handle conicals but have never tried them.

Hi guys, I thought I would throw in my two cents worth.
The Bounty pistol has been on my watch list for a long time, no luck yet, however I did come upon a Thomas Moore pistol last spring. I got it to the range and was amazed with it's accuracy.
I was using a .437 round ball, and .40 grains of 3F, shooting from a bench I was able to keep a 2 1/2" group easy.
Also, I was able to break shotgun clays at 100 yards with reasonable consistency, and I am not the best pistol shot, the credit goes to the quality pistol.
As accurate as the pistol is, I would have my doubts on deer hunting. That round ball is pretty small.
The Thomas Moore ( Pedersoli ) is a very well made pistol, and shoots better than most modern hand guns.
Fred

I've been looking at the Pedersoli Bounty in caplock and I like the looks of it especially the longer barrel. Does anybody have any opinions good or bad with this pistol? I would use it for hunting (?) and target and opinion on .45 or .50.
Any info gladly accepted. :grin:

I like the looks of the pistol and have given a lot of consideration to buying one.

All of my pistols are used for line shooting and none for hunting, even though I hunt with M/L's.

Guess the reason I have not bought one is the length of the barrel, not sure how well balanced it is. To me it looks barrel heavy.

A line shooter I know has weighed all of his pistols and has come up with a maximum weight he can shoot well. I have a feeling this pistol would be over what my maximum weight I could shoot one handed and be accurate.

Pedersoli makes quality pistols, no doubt.

The author suffers from a case of magnumitist.

Most alligators are shoot at the boat with a .22.

Any time you have to add a pound of lead to keep the pistol from flying from your hand is a person I do not wish to be near or around.

Yeah, that was kind of weird. Uncontrollable recoil might be a good point to which one would want to stop adding powder. ? I wonder how he was holding the gun.

Any info gladly accepted.

So Lee Van Cleef playing Colonel Douglas Mortimer in the movie For a Few Dollars More has a special carrier on his saddle with four firearms, but..., he ends a lethal encounter with a wanted man (after dropping the man's horse with a rifle, and then wounding the man), by drawing a caplock revolver and attaching a should stock. I have always thought that somehow fashioning a Bounty in flintlock to accept a shoulder stock would be fun, BUT the Bounty is rather pricey. It would then be a .45 or .50 caliber 16" barreled carbine..., and with 60 grains of 3Fg should be OK out to 50 yards with deer.

It was done with the 1855 Springfield pistol-carbine, so why not....

LD

the Fantasy Bounty Flintlock Carbine
Fantasy Bounty Flintlock  Carbine.png

So Lee Van Cleef playing Colonel Douglas Mortimer in the movie For a Few Dollars More has a special carrier on his saddle with four firearms, but..., he ends a lethal encounter with a wanted man (after dropping the man's horse with a rifle, and then wounding the man), by drawing a caplock revolver and attaching a should stock. I have always thought that somehow fashioning a Bounty in flintlock to accept a shoulder stock would be fun, BUT the Bounty is rather pricey. It would then be a .45 or .50 caliber 16" barreled carbine..., and with 60 grains of 3Fg should be OK out to 50 yards with deer.

It was done with the 1855 Springfield pistol-carbine, so why not....

LD

the Fantasy Bounty Flintlock Carbine
View attachment 2019
The reason such innovations never caught on is because they are neither "fish nor fowl" ! The reason for a pistol is convenience, portability and concealment other wise one is better served with a carbine or rifle from a practical stand point.

The reason such innovations never caught on is because they are neither "fish nor fowl" ! The reason for a pistol is convenience, portability and concealment other wise one is better served with a carbine or rifle from a practical stand point.

Okay...,

It would probably perform ballistically better as a 16" .50 caliber flintlock carbine, than would this 12.8" .58 caliber "Stutz" or Jaeger Stutzen (carbine) rifle... ;)

LD

Very cool, seen that before. I have an old junker .58", which is now down to about 25"....I've thought about making it into something like the above...I'm not sure what for...maybe a hiking gun, or for berry picking in case grizz wants to fight over the berry patch. ??

Any info gladly accepted. 😁

Latest posts

Back