• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli "Bounty"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rogue River

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been looking at the Pedersoli Bounty in caplock and I like the looks of it especially the longer barrel. Does anybody have any opinions good or bad with this pistol? I would use it for hunting (?) and target and opinion on .45 or .50.
Any info gladly accepted. :grin:

I hadn't heard of the Bounty but your post got my curiosity up so I went to the Pedersoli site.

Here is a link to the Bounty
Pedersoli BOUNTY PISTOL

Dam! You've got to love those advertising people for their creativity.
"... was the favorite one of the Bounty Hunters."

I guess I should say in all of my reading of historical books about the flintlock era and period books written in the days of the flintlock I must admit that I never read of Bounty hunters.

I suppose they existed but because pistols during that period were close range tools I doubt that an extended barrel would have been very common.

That said, Pedersoli guns are usually well made and well designed.
If you like the looks of this pistol and feel the extra barrel length will be an asset for you go for it. I'm sure it will give you a lot of pleasure.

ther was a post Awhile back from a gent who owns one. He shows pics of targets at 50 yds...and the buck he shot with it ! I love the looks of them...would love to see one in 54 cal.
Havent ever seen one come up for auction...so I guess those who won them Keep em ! I"ll get one someday, but they are Special order....sigh..
I wonder How long the wait ???

I gave serious thought to buying one but a rifle at a good price got my money instead. I would think it would be a good close range deer pistol with the right load. Good for self defence if ya had a real long coat to conceal it in. :grin:

Don

There's a video on youtube of the guy from the hunting show "Kentucky Afield" that gets a deer with a bounty hunter pistol like the pedersoli one and he got a doe at 25 yards with one and 55 grains of powder. It's a really interesting video.

I like the long barrels too. The older German flintlock holster or saddle pistols interest me but i think they were meant to be carried from a horse. There would seem to be an advantage in the longer barrels but i'm not sure about carrying them on foot unless it was your primary hunting weapon. Similar to this... Link

Has anyone actually shot one off hand at 25 and 50 yards?

The barrel length makes me wonder. Shooting one while hunting from a brace is one thing, offhand makes me wonder with the barrel length. Appears kind of barrel heavy with poor balance.

Any offhand experience?

Thanks

RDE

It does look barrel heavy, there is a video on You Tube of a guy shooting one, it's not a very good video but when he fire's it, the pistol smacks him right in the head. You Tube search "how not to fire a flintlock"
It must of been loaded with a real stout charge!!!
and he paid for it.

I sometimes suspect that the person(s) in some You Tube vidios like that do things like that on purpose.

There is no end to the things some folks will do for a little "fame". :hmm:

perhaps it wasnt a Bounty pistol but the charge was really stout compounded by the fact that he musta been holding it So Daintily that it flew completely out of his hand!
Do ya think he learned to hold a pistol with a FIRM grip?... :rotf: I'll bet he never went to Boot Camp

It's hard to say It is such a bad video. It has a long barrel and it is a flintlock but it could be another pistol, but anyway that's not the correct way to shot a Fintlock Pistol, I think we all can agree on that :thumbsup: As far as the Bounty Hunter Pistol. Myself I would have to pass on it, If I was looking to buy another Single shot. It's just too long and bulky looking for me.

I have a Pedersoli Charles Moore pistol. It is very accurate for 4 to 5 shots, and then gets fouled. The result is a hang- or a mis-fire. The problem is that it has a patent or Nock's breech, which has been discussed earlier. The little channel that extends from the vent hole to the back of the breech is too small, and is easily fouled. When that happens, the fouling impedes the flash from the vent liner to the back of the chamber. I'd never purchase a Pedersoli with that configuration again. When I shoot rendevous, I get to 6 really accurate shots, and then several hang-fires which usually miss the target. There have been several recommendations posted here about cleaning between shots, and I try to adhere to them, but I still get the misfires after 6 shots. I then have to time out and remove the lock, the vent plug and take a pipe cleaner to the channel between the vent and the back of the breech. Before I purchased this bounty pistol, I'd check to be sure that the pan powder ignited directly into the powder charge, and not into a vent chamber. That is, does not have a Nock's breech.

Lisle George

Lisle George

I am interested in the percussion cap model. Other than the breech problem you are having what is your opinion of the rest of the gun, trigger pull, balance, accuracy, quality of construction ect.? Thanks

Again, I'm talking about Pedersoli's Charles Moore pistol, and not the Bounty. The Moore pistol is very high quality construction. When it is clean and firing well, it is very accurate.

I am a bit frustrated with the set trigger. When set, it doesn't always kick the sear nock out of the tumbler notch. This usually happens during the first 5 or 6 shots, but after a bit of fussing, the thing generally works ok. It does have occasional hiccups where the set trigger fires, but nothing else happens.

In the unset position, trigger pull is great, probably too large for accurate target shooting.

The lock is well constructed, solid and mostly reliable providing you have a new and sharp flint. Flints don't last very long, but are easily replaced.

When I got the gun, I found that the sight picture was set so that the front sight appeared at the very bottom of the rear sight cleft. Didn't like that picture, so I made a new front sight that brought the tops of the 2 sights into alignment. The garage manufactured sight works fine.

The fit and finish of the gun are very good.

I am a bit worried about the availability of replacement parts, but haven't had to face that issue yet.

I got the gun for a quarter of the normal retail price, so I'm happy with it despite the breech shortcomings. I'm only an average to below average marksman, but at a rendezvous that was held 2 weeks ago, I nearly cleaned a pistol course with it. Missed the last 2 targets because of hang fires.

My overall reaction is that Pedersoli produces quality firearms, and providing that the price is right, and the breech is a normal plug arrangement, wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one
Lisle George

Back