• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Blue Ridge flintlock rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not that I’m aware of my friend. Trigger’s should fire the rifle set or unset in any sequence. Double lever, double set triggers.

Also have Pedersoli’s Frontier and a Hatfield as well. They’re all the same when it comes to their triggers.

Why your Blue Ridge won’t fire with the trigger unset could be a number of things? Possibly the sear screw could be to tight in your lock? Something interfering with your front trigger blade making contact with the sear arm?

Hard to know without the rifle being in hand?

Respectfully, Cowboy
Would love to buy your hatfield if you'd like to sell lol

From one Wyoming man to another.

Sorry my friend but to ease your pain I’ll gladly send ya a couple of Jackalope’s and a fried Buffalo Burger with all the fixen’s! 😂

Respectfully, Cowboy
No problem cowboy what part of wyoming you tromping around. Meeteetse was mine till the last three years in casper for work

No problem cowboy what part of wyoming you tromping around. Meeteetse was mine till the last three years in casper for work

Not to get off topic with the OP.

I’m from 8 miles out of Cody. In Illinois right now. Going back to Wyoming for good as soon as the wife retires.

Anyway, gonna stop right now and you can PM me if you’d like to chat?

Respectfully, Cowboy

sure wish I could make groups like the ones shown, I guess that I did 60 yrs ago. I forget sometimes.

Having said the above, I'm open to suggestions about either rifle. Pros and Cons.

Writing from personal experience..., with the Blue Ridge Hunter...,

Functional CON..., the barrels are sometimes sharp, and they may cut patches. The barrel has a patent breech so you must be careful to clean the breech area well. The lock is held in with a single bolt AND with a wood screw, so one must be careful not to strip out the wood where that screw grips the stock. The ramrod wood on Pedersoli rifle ramrods usually sucks.

Aesthetic CON..., The ramrod thimbles are very 20th century. The front and rear sights are 19th century. The lock has case hardened coloring. The stock isn't really a copy of any extant original style. There is no patchbox.

Functional PRO..., they shoot well. The lock is pretty large for a Pedersoli, and works well. There is a touchhole liner already installed. It comes with double set triggers. The .54 version has a nice slow twist for the barrel. They are not that expensive so you can bang them up a bit and not worry about damaging a really special rifle. The barrel is held in place with two machine screws and the tang screw. The two thimbles function also as washers for the rifle barrel..., which looks bad in my book BUT makes it very easy for the owner to remove the barrel from the stock (maybe once a year) to clean the underside where the barrel meets the wood.

Aesthetic PRO..., It's long enough and generic enough that at a historic site you won't be turned away from an event for carrying one. It can also be improved by the buyer, a little or a lot.

LD

My wife and I use our kitchen table for eating.
And I do have a place to work from. The OP may not have a place to do building and finishing.
And that does not change the fact that the Kibler will still cost a lot more than a factory gun, and that few hundred to a thousand dollars more can easily mean no gun at all vs a factory gun that functions just fine. The PURPOSE of the original OP and the thread was NOT to ask how to spend a lot more money - but a question on where to get a Blue Ridge. Re-directing him to a more expensive and unwanted item is used car lot plaid suited salesman behavior. Instead - why not stay on topic and find him a Pedersoli he asked for in the first place....

THIS FROM THE ORIGINAL POST
"I did get a chance to physically hold a Pedersoli Blue Ridge in a 50 caliber, flintlock, this past Saturday. It was a very used one, at a local gun shop and priced within $70 of a new one. :rolleyes: My second choice would be a Lyman Great Plains rifle, in a 50 caliber, percussion....but I'd prefer the long rifle."

These guns - either one - great out of the box ready to shoot guns for less than 800 bucks.
Great, if he can get one. Just offering options. Chill.

All your Pedersolis sound great. Mine, from back about 2008 was not so. From all I read were I to buy another long rifle it would be some Pedersoli KIT. Kit, because I have studied originals as well as KRA books and can be a tad picky.

By the way, you guys who buy American hand-made rifles to get something original, how much is Faith? Do you your self know something of how 18th century rifles were made? I recall maybe a decade back a famous antique auction house got well over $100,000 for a flint rifle that just screamed Modern from the photo alone? It looked modern-made to me because I had made them.

A reminder of the Forum Rules for those people who made posts about buying a rifle in this thread:

36: Asking the members to give a fair market value appraisal for an item you own or wish to purchase is permitted. However, no offers to SELL, BUY or TRADE may be made outside of the Classified section of the Forum. Do not post: "I'm selling a gun, what do you think it's worth?" - Use the Classifieds. This applies to "Looking to Buy" also.

My wife and I use our kitchen table for eating.
And I do have a place to work from. The OP may not have a place to do building and finishing.
Great, if he can get one. Just offering options. Chill.
You talking about getting a wife or a kitchen table? Just trying to understand your point of reference.

I appreciate all the replies, gentlemen! :cool:

I went so far as to looking into one of the Jim Kibler finished rifles and kits. Nice, very nice, but more than I care to bite off at the moment.
I live about 2.5 hours from The Log Cabin Shop, in Lodi, Ohio. I'm going to make the trip to see what all they have to offer, tomorrow. I don't expect to bring anything home, but it's been several years since I've been there and it's always good to stop in from time to time. Perhaps next year, I'll jump into it with both feet. If I don't end up with a muzzleloader this year, I'm happy with bow hunting deer and night vision hunting for coyotes. :thumb:

Again, thanks for all the info and suggestions!
Bowhunter57

Well... What a huge change a couple of days can make. 😎

I visited The Log Cabin Shop, in Lodi, Ohio and found some very interesting information from some very experienced rifle builders. I started adding up the cost of building a rifle from their inventory and was pleasantly surprised at the end total. 👍
Then, I found out that I'm getting a huge bonus check at the end of November. A portion of it will be for this long rifle build, which will either be a Southern Mountain or Lancaster style.

Bowhunter57

Back